The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Has anyone met Stevie just out and about ?....

I mean we often see Lindsey doing the tourist bit, and being photo'd
But I've never seen Stevie out in amongst the great unwashed..
Old 06-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would love to tell my story again, Okay here goes When the band was out and about

Back in 1980, 3 friends and i flew to Gold Coast from Melbourne for a 3 week holiday we were 19 years old at the time.. We had spent the majority of time sunbaking,learning to surf and doing the normal touristy things .. We had 2 days left before flying back home, so we decided to walk the 30 min into Surfers Paradise, we checked out this amazing little shop that sold large sculptured candles, beautiful jewelry and hippy chick clothing.. We were in our element, spending our last few dollars there.. Anyway we crossed the road and ordered coffee and crepes, sitting outside & waiting for our orders to arrive, i happened to notice this big bus trying to slowly maneuver through this narrow street, along the esplanade close to the beach.. As the bus made its way opposite us, i looked up again and at the back of the bus i noticed it was Stevie sitting at the back of the bus in the window seat.. I yelled out there's Stevie Nicks, i am sure she read my lips, she was looking at me at the same time.. so i jumped up and ran across the road and tapped on the side of the bus then it STOPPED doors opened, by this time my friends had followed me, i asked the driver if it would be possible to get an autograph, that just popped out of my mouth .. He turned around and got the nod, so i made my way up the steps and to my utter surprise there they were the only 5 people of the bus were the 5 fireflies Stevie said a warm Hello happily waved and smiling and asked for my name, i hesitated for a split sec as everyone calls me by my nick name, i gave my real name so she said hello Dianne my heart melted, and beating 1000 miles an hour, i then introduced her to my friends standing behind me. Stevie and Christine were sitting on opposite sides on the back seat, Lindsey in front of Stevie, Mick in front of CM and JM in front of Mick.. I glanced passed the others and focused on Stevie, she said that we live in a beautiful place here, and it reminds her of there hometown very much, stupid me asked her what are you doing here, (as i/we didn't relise they were touring in Aust at the time). Then she asked are you not coming to our concert tonight in Brisbane, as we have some incredible new songs we are playing. I said yes, and look forward to going but i lied as we had run out of money and i didn't want to disappoint her, we talked for a short time, then she said they had to go as they had sound check or rehearsals at 4pm.. So we said our goodbyes, i said thanks for stopping and so great to meet you.. For the entire time our eyes were locked, i will never forget her big brown eyes and her raspy voice.. I remember in the back of my mind i wanted to ask if they wanted to share a joint with us, i had one pre rolled in my purse then i wanted to show Stevie the shop across the road, she would of loved it.. I will Never ever forget that awesome day meeting the lovely Stevie Nicks..
Old 06-07-2016, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Originally posted re: Rosemont Theatre, Chicago, IL solo show 8/23/11 My first Stevie/FM concert. I could always edit my writing as time passes, but I think this holds true to my experience!
________

Long story short..I initially just had a first row ticket behind the pit and was beyond thrilled for simply the concert experience. And Stevie did NOT disappoint. She truly is a legend as we all know. The fun started a few days before the concert when, on a whim, I entered a local radio online contest for a meet & greet prize. Well I freaking WON!!! I was dying. Ended up winning an additional 2 tickets..which I gave to my parents who hadn't seen her since '75 and in total 2 backstage meet & greets for after the show.

As mentioned before, the show was great! High energy, hilarious comments and true love for the audience and what she had to offer us in return. Prior to the show I had confirmed with the security guard (who was on her first day of the job AND a Stevie fan ) that I could go up for the Edge walk. I actually wasn't supposed to and she kinda got in trouble at the end..oops!!! Anyways, she ended up letting me go right after L&L and I was leaning up on the stage directly in front of Waddy. He's insane, what talent! Somehow got a guitar pick from him at the end..right after a full 2 handed grab and smiling 'head nod' of thanks from Stevie! Waddy actually started cracking up at me after the lights came up at the end..as I was thanking him for giving me the pick..and pointed out laughing "Oh my god! You're young!!!" I'm 20 for reference..so I guess he was right!

Directly after the show I met up with my Dad and we got in the first group of about 20 to go backstage. Saw/talked/met Waddy again, which was cool. My dad got to bro out with him about the Winos (w/Keith Richards back in the day) so it kinda made his night haha. Stevie came out and started making the rounds..quickly introducing and having Karen take photos. I had thought about what I wanted to say to her..and a '79 Jim Ladd interview had really touched me recently. If you haven't heard it, I really recommend looking up the clip!

Basically Stevie mentions a girl coming up to her and saying (paraphrasing) 'I know you hear this all the time, but you truly have such a great gift as a songwriter. You're so special.' And Stevie interrupts her and goes, 'Wait a minute..I do NOT hear that all the time. And if people like you don't come up to me and say that..who will?' It's a pretty emotional moment at the end of the interview and I don't know but it really hit home how I felt about her talent as well.

After Karen took our photos (*edit help! my pic is too large to attach!) I asked Stevie if I could tell her something really quick. She said of course and grabbed both of my hands with hers. I started to say that I had listened to the interview..and as I started saying how Stevie had responded I kind of choked up. Softie I know.. But I took a deep breath and she squeezed my hands. I just said that she should never forget how truly special and what an amazing poet and songwriter she has always been. And how much she means to me and so many other people. She was so gracious and kind of whispered that it meant so much to her to hear that. Then she started telling me old Jim Ladd stories and just little tangent tidbits. Oh! All of this btw was with us speaking like 2 inches from each other's faces haha. She stared into my eyes the entire time..it was so surreal! I tried to step back at one point just by habit and she stepped forward again still holding my hands.

All in all it was about a 5 minute convo and she reached out to hug me at the end and again thanked me for coming up and telling her those comments. As I was leaving the area, my Dad was like okayyy, what was that all about?! You guys were in your own little bubble! Management or someone I guess were saying that they couldn't let everyone talk for as long as our convo anymore haha. I was honestly truly touched by the whole experience. I'll never forget it. And to make things a little more special..the radio guy (who had to email the photos to me from Karen) said right after I was done she went into her dressing room and the 40 or so other people not in our group only got to meet the band! My luck..which is usually not so great..was in fine form that night! And 'the feeling remains even after the glitter fades..' has never seemed more fitting!!! Magic...
Old 06-07-2016, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Besties for Life

Ok, I didn't meet Stevie, but my best friend did, and I feel like I was there.

Back in February 1991, this comic loving, Stevie singing, theatre doing Friend of Dorothy was in the green room of the Permian Playhouse in Odessa, TX reading the newest issue of The Teen Titans. Back then, kids, there was a letter column where letters to the editor were printed ALONG WITH THE SENDER'S NAME AN ADDRESS (imagine that today).
I spotted a letter that was signed off, 'PS: Don't you think Raven would make a great singer/songwriter a la Stevie Nicks?'
My little gay heart fluttered. There was another gay person out in the world who loved Raven and Stevie Nicks. I ran home after rehearsal (I was a tin soldier in The Velveteen Rabbit, btw) and wrote to a letter to Mr. Anthony Lower of Philadelphia, PA. To my great surprise, he answered me, and we became pen pals.
Flash forward a bit to July 1991, Anthony got the chance to see Stevie in concert during the Whole Lotta Trouble tour. He was granted a backstage pass by Henri David of Halloween, where Stevie gets her custom jewelry made. After the concert, he was able to briefly meet Stevie on her way out of the building.
The ext day, however, Henri called Ant and invited him to meet Stevie while she was in Halloween shopping. Ant raced down there and was able to spend some quality time with Stevie. He had her sign his copy of the Teen Titans with his letter in it, and he told her about how it brought us together.
20 plus years later, Anthony and I are still besties, and it's all because of Stevie (and maybe Raven a bit. And also Wonder Woman. And also men.)