Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 2020 Movie Reviews

1. Underwater, grade C+ = is deep sea disaster, monster movie. For a January movie this horror sci-fi movie is decent. Usually the movie industry dumps its total duds in the month of January but this movie has plenty going for it, most notable is the lightning speed pacing. Right off the bat the crew of the deep sea station is in trouble and that’s it. The movie is a race for survival for 99% of the movie. The acting is good. The special effects are decent and the monsters are surprising in ways. The problem with the movie is there is no character development and basically no plot but survival. Also, the movie is really dark and sometimes it’s hard to tell what is going on.

If you like movies like Alien, Pandorum, The Relic, Leviathon, or Deep Star Six, you will probably like this movie. It’s not as good as some of those but it’s decent, especially for a January movie.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here’s a publicity shot of cute little Ronald Raccoon, co-star of Flaherty’s LOUISIANA STORY (1948), a decent enough little picture about confused but satisfied Acadians, frolicking in the shadows of oil derricks in the swampy bayous. Ronald Raccoon walks off with the acting honors in this petit-portrait. Aside from Ronald, it’s refreshing to see a picture whose cuts need to be shorter, not longer, and to see the poor when they aren’t all bent out of shape over being poor, or hopped up on political grievances!

I have nothing to say about Virgil Thomson.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-09-2020, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

2. Gretal and Hansel, grade C+ = another horror movie, great atmosphere, some genuinely scary moments but a story I couldn’t quite make sense at the end. There is a witch in this movie and her story gets muddled at the end and it really hurts the movie. However this movie has great art direction and I did enjoy looking at it. It’s a mixed bag.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

3. Birds of Prey, grade C = Blah! Margot Robbie is a great Harley Quinn and that plus some decent fight scenes is all the good stuff. The story is only ok, there is no joker, and the evil guy is not that evil or appealing. Huntress is barely in the story and black canary is wasted. Another February dud. They should of just made this an origin story about HarleyQuinn and skipped the other women.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
3. Birds of Prey, grade C = Blah! Margot Robbie is a great Harley Quinn and that plus some decent fight scenes is all the good stuff. The story is only ok, there is no joker, and the evil guy is not that evil or appealing. Huntress is barely in the story and black canary is wasted. Another February dud. They should of just made this an origin story about HarleyQuinn and skipped the other women.
It's funny that one of the big complaints from fans about Suicide Squad was: "Not enough Joker!"

WB's response: No Joker at all!

sad.

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:02 PM

Ok, Parasite was lovely. I really enjoyed it! It was a dark film, but I found myself laughing at times.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 02-19-2020 at 08:21 AM..
Old 02-26-2020, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Ok, Parasite was lovely. I really enjoyed it! It was a dark film, but I found myself laughing at times.
I thought it was a terrible film, and am disturbed by its popularity.

On Facebook, a friend's mother asked me if I disliked it because it demonstrates "class differences" (considering how well she knows me, the question is bewildering -- I saw NASHVILLE with her in theaters!)

The answer to that charge is clear: the movie portrays the struggling classes as cretinous and the rich as vaguely suffering from mental challenges. In other words, it's phony.

A stranger on Twitter said the movie has the best editing, cinematography, and screenplay of the year! Oscar-speak. sigh. I responded that the editing failed to raise suspense (e.g., the coffee table sequence) or clarity (e.g., who killed whom at the end, and why?). The cinematography, I believe translates as "I want that house!" The screenplay? I think it's "OMG, there's a guy in the basement!"

Hateful film. And no fun. And I'm easy.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I thought it was a terrible film, and am disturbed by its popularity.

On Facebook, a friend's mother asked me if I disliked it because it demonstrates "class differences" (considering how well she knows me, the question is bewildering -- I saw NASHVILLE with her in theaters!)

The answer to that charge is clear: the movie portrays the struggling classes as cretinous and the rich as vaguely suffering from mental challenges. In other words, it's phony.

A stranger on Twitter said the movie has the best editing, cinematography, and screenplay of the year! Oscar-speak. sigh. I responded that the editing failed to raise suspense (e.g., the coffee table sequence) or clarity (e.g., who killed whom at the end, and why?). The cinematography, I believe translates as "I want that house!" The screenplay? I think it's "OMG, there's a guy in the basement!"

Hateful film. And no fun. And I'm easy.
I didn't think it was phony. I thought it was a dark comedy on a, "what if this happened". I will say when the "protagonists" kept getting everything they wanted, I thought, "Oh crap, I'm going to hate this downfall." I didn't. What I loved about it was the fact that the down-slide wasn't typical. I thought the author had quite the sense of humor.

I tend not to politicize things, so I don't have a point of view of: This is too liberal or conservative. Or, it mocks a certain group/class.

As far as phony, I work for a lot of rich people and some of them act exactly like that. Especially, with their children.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 02-26-2020 at 08:42 AM..
Old 02-27-2020, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I didn't think it was phony. I thought it was a dark comedy on a, "what if this happened". I will say when the "protagonists" kept getting everything they wanted, I thought, "Oh crap, I'm going to hate this downfall." I didn't. What I loved about it was the fact that the down-slide wasn't typical. I thought the author had quite the sense of humor.

I tend not to politicize things, so I don't have a point of view of: This is too liberal or conservative. Or, it mocks a certain group/class.

As far as phony, I work for a lot of rich people and some of them act exactly like that. Especially, with their children.
Exactly. I just thought it was lame.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stop whatever you are doing and go see STRAIGHT UP now!

This wonderful and surprising movie finally answers Morrissey’s plaint:

“The woman of my dreams, She, She never came along
The woman of my dreams, Well, There never was one”

Katie Findlay is the actress to beat in 2020.

Actor-Writer-Director James Sweeney makes a remarkable debut.

It’s the best American gay movie since BEAUTIFUL SOMETHING.

It’s playing limited release so hope others can see it streaming soon ... but not too soon.

ETA: Even better the second time!

There is a joke that ranks with the funniest lines of dialogue I’ve ever heard, but then by the time i/the audience was done laughing at the joke—I was crying.

Will there be a better American movie this year?

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 02-29-2020 at 09:42 PM..
Old 03-02-2020, 04:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

4. The Invisible Man, grade B+ = solid horror film, everyone I know who has seen this film has liked it. It’s creepy and well thought out and has an excellent performance by Elizabeth Moss in it. It also manages to surprise on a few occasions. The first good film I’ve seen of 2020.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
4. The Invisible Man, grade B+ = solid horror film, everyone I know who has seen this film has liked it. It’s creepy and well thought out and has an excellent performance by Elizabeth Moss in it. It also manages to surprise on a few occasions. The first good film I’ve seen of 2020.
You are missing out. Straight Up, Corpus Christi, and The Traitor are all superb.

As for Invisible Man, I can't stand looking at Elizabeth Moss. Wish she had been invisible.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You are missing out. Straight Up, Corpus Christi, and The Traitor are all superb.

As for Invisible Man, I can't stand looking at Elizabeth Moss. Wish she had been invisible.
I haven’t even seen those movies playing in my area.
Elizabeth is no beauty.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

5.The Hunt, grade B = fun movie about a bunch of hicks, deploreables kidnapped and hunted down by leftist, globalist. It trashes both sides of the political spectrum but doesn't take itself too seriously. It's a dark comedy and I was pleasantly surprised. Stars Betty Gilpen, in a star making performance and Hillary Swank. The movie is just entertaining and doesn't try to be a masterpiece.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stop whatever you are doing and go see STRAIGHT UP now!

This wonderful and surprising movie finally answers Morrissey’s plaint:

“The woman of my dreams, She, She never came along
The woman of my dreams, Well, There never was one”

Katie Findlay is the actress to beat in 2020.

Actor-Writer-Director James Sweeney makes a remarkable debut.

It’s the best American gay movie since BEAUTIFUL SOMETHING.

It’s playing limited release so hope others can see it streaming soon ... but not too soon.

ETA: Even better the second time!

There is a joke that ranks with the funniest lines of dialogue I’ve ever heard, but then by the time i/the audience was done laughing at the joke—I was crying.

Will there be a better American movie this year?
watched this last night.
It was okay. A bit too talkey-talkey-talkey for my liking though (Just shaduuuuup!). Also, just rather too contrived. I understand this is needed for the entire premise of the film, but it meant I didn't really care that much about the characters.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood