Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Buckingham Nicks question.

Their tour ended 3/3/74 and they started with Fleetwood Mac Tour 5/15/75. Is there any information on what was happening between those dates? Did they do any other tour dates? I assume they were in the studio with Fleetwood Mac.

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker007nmss View Post
Their tour ended 3/3/74 and they started with Fleetwood Mac Tour 5/15/75. Is there any information on what was happening between those dates? Did they do any other tour dates? I assume they were in the studio with Fleetwood Mac.
Two shows from January 1975 (the last BN shows) were recorded and are circulating

They did other shows, I guess

And the tour ended 3/5/74 btw and Lindsey was a session musician, Co wrote "Pre-Impeachment Blues", played guitar and sung backup on some tracks of other peoples and stuff. Stevie cleaned Keith Olsen's house and worked as a waitress.

I believe early 75' was when the began recording with FM

Here is a Buckingham Nicks interview from early 1975

Buckingham Nicks Reveal Future Plans In Interview (1975 Buckingham Nicks Interview)

By Jan Susina

The following article was written after the Buckingham Nicks concert in Birmingham, Alabama, Birmingham After Dark staff writer Jan Susina got a rare opportunity to sit down and chat with Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. This is a portion of that interview, which was printed in February 1975.

Major changes are underway for Lindsey Buckingham and Stephanie Nicks after their highly successful concert last Friday at the Birmingham Municipal Auditorium (one of two sellouts at the Auditorium during the last year). Back in L.A., the two will begin work, not as the Buckingham Nicks, but as members of Fleetwood Mac, later this month.

Both Lindsey and Stevie voiced strong misgivings over disbanding as a duo. "It wasn't an easy decision for us, but we decided to do one album before we came out here (to Birmingham)," said Buckingham.
Buckingham and Nicks were recording material for this second album when Fleetwood Mac happened into the same studio. "They were just looking for a place to record, but alter hearing our music they asked us to join and we just couldn't turn them down," explained Stevie.

The musical concept of the "new" band will be similar to the. Buckingham Nicks with Lindsey as rhythm guitarist and Stevie as lead vocalist. Stevie continued. "It's not exactly like we'll be a back up singer and a backup guitarist since nobody but Christine sings and she doesn't sing that much. They're hoping that I'll be able to bring Christine out more because she's very shy and very overshadowed." (Christine McVie is the lead singer for Fleetwood Mac.) Stevie goes on to say, "She doesn't write a lot, but she writes a few really good songs."

"The Buckingham Nicks thing - me and Lindsey - have been together 8 years with the people we're playing with, Tom (bass player) and Hoppy (drummer). As soon as Buckingham Nicks go back together, they'll come too.

There's no better bass or drummer than Tom and Hoppy. They know it and we know it. It's a hard thing to do. They'll gig around and do a lot of sessions, they don't want us to leave but they know we'd be idiots to pass it up."

The major reason behind the breakup is the lack of recognition. Buckingham Nicks all feel they have been overlooked by their recording label, Polydor. "Hopefully we can get our name known, instead of being buried within the name Fleetwood Mac. People will hear the difference in the music and take notice," hopes Lindsey. "It would take us years to build up the reputation they have. And Warner Brothers is really into Fleetwood Mac. They're not a monster or a giant act, but they consistently sell more albums than they did the last time. They're going to put us on a fine, major tour where we'll be playing to everyone," says Stevie. "And they are super-nice people, so we figure it will be a tremendous learning experience. They can help us and we can help them, so it will be give and take thing."

The rest of the Buckingham Nicks band, Tom Moncrieff, Hoppy Hodges and Waddy Wachtel plan to do session work during the meantime, but all feel strongly about the band's breakup. Says bassist Tom Moncrieff, "We realize the benefits from it completely. And we'll wish them good luck. But it's more like a family, we're really tight personally."

"'I mean, besides the money and the fact that I am in the band, was, still am in the band, I consider myself one of their biggest fans. I've heard everything they've ever done and I know what's there and what can be there. And I don't see any reason why they can't be hot everywhere." Tom goes on to say, "The music is so good, the whole scene is so incredible that it will be hard to fill that up. There are other people we can play with and enjoy, but it's not the same. So they'll go out there and do their best and when it's over we'll be here."

A tour this summer will bring Buckingham Nicks back to Birmingham "for sure" says Stevie. Only this time it'll be with Fleetwood Mac. But rest assured, there will be enough of Stevie and Lindsey around to keep the same, distinctive Buckingham Nicks sound that Birmingham has grown to appreciate so well.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In September? of 74 they were in Aspen because Waddy had gotten Lindsey a job touring with the Everly Brothers...While LB was on the road with the Everly's Stevie stayed behind in Aspen and wrote Landslide & Rhainnon...I have also heard that due to contractual obligations "Buckingham/Nicks" did a few shows after joining FM...
Old 08-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you. I was trying to get the timeline down from the various stories out there. Now it is making more sense. I knew bits and pieces of it and was trying to figure it out. I knew the experts here would help.

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you. I was trying to get the timeline down from the various stories out there. Now it is making more sense. I knew bits and pieces of it and was trying to figure it out. I knew the experts here would help.
If you go here on the ledge to the Q& A section Waddy Wachtel talks about Stevie and Lindsey in the days before FM...
Old 08-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac called them on New Year's Eve 1974/1975
Old 08-04-2014, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a little surprised that Waddy Wachtel didn't introduce Lindsey and Stevie to the Laurel Canyon crowd in the early 1970s. Waddy used to hang out with people like Jackson Browne, Carole King, Linda Ronstadt, etc. Am I right in thinking that Waddy introduced Warren Zevon to Stevie and Lindsey? Does anyone know if the coffee plant where Stevie and Lindsey recorded demos still exists?
Old 08-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Fleetwood Mac called them on New Year's Eve 1974/1975
But Lindsey had been asking for advice about joining FM prior to this call - he discussed it with Waddy and with Crystal Zevon during the Everly tour, so they must have already had an offer on the table.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
I'm a little surprised that Waddy Wachtel didn't introduce Lindsey and Stevie to the Laurel Canyon crowd in the early 1970s. Waddy used to hang out with people like Jackson Browne, Carole King, Linda Ronstadt, etc. Am I right in thinking that Waddy introduced Warren Zevon to Stevie and Lindsey? Does anyone know if the coffee plant where Stevie and Lindsey recorded demos still exists?
It's totally possible their paths crossed with a lot of artists during the BN years. I believe they met Warren because he was playing with Waddy in Everly's band and Waddy brought Lindsey in to replace him.

The Alta Coffee plant was in Daly City, in the Cow Palace area, but I don't know if the plant is still there. Bob Aguirre played on the demos recorded there.

Last edited by CADreaming; 08-05-2014 at 09:12 PM..
Old 08-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It sound like the remaining musicians of the Buckingham Nicks band were in a state of denial, thinking that Lindsey and Stevie joining Fleetwood Mac was just going to be a passing phase. "So they'll go out there and do their best, and when it's over, we'll be here." It must have really hurt seeing them quickly becoming a massively successful band. As fate played out, there was never any "over."

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-05-2014 at 09:06 PM..
Old 08-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
It sound like the remaining musicians of the Buckingham Nicks band were in a state of denial, thinking that Lindsey and Stevie joining Fleetwood Mac was just going to be a passing phase. "So they'll go out there and do their best, and when it's over, we'll be here." It must have really hurt seeing them quickly becoming a massively successful band. As fate played out, there was never any "over."
Fritz as well...I think some of them are still bitter...
Old 08-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Even Lindsey and Stevie believed that. The plan was to make a name for BN in FM and go back to doing their thing. But, success changed all that.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Even Lindsey and Stevie believed that. The plan was to make a name for BN in FM and go back to doing their thing. But, success changed all that.
After their record company dropped them, and before they joined Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey and Stevie were just noodling around, without a record contract. They could have easily faded away into obscurity. They may have taken Mick's offer as just another fill-in job, but the chemistry was too strong for them to turn back from this opportunity.

Thankfully Mick, who was just looking for a guitar player, accepted Stevie too. Kudos to super cool Christine who, used to just playing with the boys, was not the least threatened to have another bomb-shell female in the band. It's pretty amazing how these five fireflies came together. Fleetwood Mac's deep history is so colorful and diverse, rich in hair-pin turns, drama and circumstance. There is no band quite like them.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-05-2014 at 10:53 PM..
Old 08-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
After their record company dropped them, and before they joined Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey and Stevie were just noodling around, without a record contract. They could have easily faded away into obscurity. They may have taken Mick's offer as just another fill-in job, but the chemistry was too strong for them to turn back from this opportunity.
True, but it's also true that BN really was catching on in the South and had a good foundation to build on. They may have been able to get another deal with BNII tracks. FM was an established band and they really needed it to gain the exposure for BN. It's just that it became too big to leave.

"The Buckingham Nicks thing - me and Lindsey - have been together 8 years with the people we're playing with, Tom (bass player) and Hoppy (drummer). As soon as Buckingham Nicks go back together, they'll come too. There's no better bass or drummer than Tom and Hoppy. They know it and we know it. It's a hard thing to do. They'll gig around and do a lot of sessions, they don't want us to leave but they know we'd be idiots to pass it up." - Stevie Nicks, Feb. 1975, Buckingham Nicks: Goodbye to the First Eight Years