Looks like the NCAA sanctions will put a hurt on the Mac's
favorite college. A two year bowl ban, and they must vacate
all wins Reggie Bush played in (Vacating wins sounds so silly,
felt the same way when Bama was hit). And they lose many
scholarships.

If it sticks, the Trojans fans will know what the Crimson
Tide
fans felt like. Believe me, it sucks. You can bet that any and
all the teams in the top 10 spots play around the rules.

I'm not taking up for USC, but there needs to be some type of punishment
for the coaches. Funny how Mr. Pete Carroll gets out of town in the nick
of time. And gets rewarded with an NFL head coaching job.

Until the coaches are severely fined, or banned from coaching in the NCAA
or the NFL, nothing will be fair.

That said...............ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The NCAA needs some SERIOUS restructuring, and I really could go on about it for HOURS!!!

Bottom line- the term is STUDENT athlete, and the NCAA needs to get it right, and universities need to get this right as well. If the NCAA will set the rules tighter regarding this, schools will have to follow them, thus improving the situation with college athletics.

At the very least, the NCAA needs to implement a 3 years required rule for ALL sports, thus eliminating the one and done folks.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The NCAA is just trying to make an EXAMPLE out of USC. This so bogus! So what if Reggie Bush's parents lived rent free in a $750k house. So what if a wannabe agent flew his parents first class to away games. How on earth could Pete Carroll or Mike Garrett be held accountable?

It's the end of an era for USC. With the sanctions and player defections, they'll have losing seasons for several years under new child coach Lame Kiffin. Rick Neuheisal is enjoying this turnabout.

GO BRUINS!

Last edited by JWS; 06-11-2010 at 10:03 PM..
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Registered

I put the over/under for when Slick Rick gets busted at 16 months. Nothing against UCLA, but... that's your guy.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

i am still a huge usc fan~
Old 06-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
The NCAA is just trying to make an EXAMPLE out of USC. This so bogus! So what if Reggie Bush's parents lived rent free in a $750k house. So what if a wannabe agent flew his parents first class to away games. How on earth could Pete Carroll or Mike Garrett be held accountable?

It's the end of an era for USC. With the sanctions and player defections, they'll have losing seasons for several years under new child coach Lame Kiffin. Rick Neuheisal is enjoying this turnabout.

GO BRUINS!
What in the world do you mean, how can they be held accountable. They are the men in charge and this isn't something that "slips through the cracks". There is no excuse, as that money could have been used in SO MANY other ways. I take offense to comments like that. Just sayin'. It's this kind of athletic excess that's just ridiculous and pathetic. When everyone else in education is barely able to scrape by, they are able to be so wasteful?!?! What gives?

Last edited by Musicman408; 06-12-2010 at 03:34 PM..
Old 06-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
What in the world do you mean, how can they be held accountable. They are the men in charge and this isn't something that "slips through the cracks". There is no excuse, as that money could have been used in SO MANY other ways. I take offense to comments like that. Just sayin'. It's this kind of athletic excess that's just ridiculous and pathetic. When everyone else in education is barely able to scrape by, they are able to be so wasteful?!?! What gives?
The money and extra benefits (free rent for the parents) were not provided by or authorized by USC. It's private boosters and wannabe agents to blame.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Registered

Quote:
The money and extra benefits (free rent for the parents) were not provided by or authorized by USC. It's private boosters and wannabe agents to blame.
Yeah, well, why couldn't they have given it to the school's chorale program instead???????????
Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Yeah, well, why couldn't they have given it to the school's chorale program instead???????????

Ha Ha. Wannabe agents won't make any fees from the chorale group, the debate team, women's softball, water polo, or anything else but football, basketball, and in USC's case, baseball. If you can lock up a star athlete in these sports it's worth big money. I don't agree with it, but that's the reality. Nevertheless, Pete Carroll and the AD are blameless in the Bush matter. Bush and Carroll are gone. Why punish today's USC athletes that had nothing to do with what happened in 2004? My idea is make USC pay a big fine and no TV.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Registered

Quote:
Ha Ha. Wannabe agents won't make any fees from the chorale group, the debate team, women's softball, water polo, or anything else but football, basketball, and in USC's case, baseball. If you can lock up a star athlete in these sports it's worth big money. I don't agree with it, but that's the reality. Nevertheless, Pete Carroll and the AD are blameless in the Bush matter. Bush and Carroll are gone. Why punish today's USC athletes that had nothing to do with what happened in 2004? My idea is make USC pay a big fine and no TV.
Of course.

NCAA Football and Men's Basketball almost entirely subsidize all of the other collegiate sports and their ridiculously indulgent (huge, expensive mostly-empty venues coupled w/ extensive travel costs) tournaments. When you actually take a moment to look at what they spend to put on some of these things, it makes absolutely no sense. Its largely because of this that the NCAA will never be able to adequately monetarily support any of its athletes.

I'd also add that with these new super-conferences that coming into shape, a time where the NCAA is basically rendered obsolete might be just around the corner (see: early history of AAU)
Old 06-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Of course.

NCAA Football and Men's Basketball almost entirely subsidize all of the other collegiate sports and their ridiculously indulgent (huge, expensive mostly-empty venues coupled w/ extensive travel costs) tournaments. When you actually take a moment to look at what they spend to put on some of these things, it makes absolutely no sense. Its largely because of this that the NCAA will never be able to adequately monetarily support any of its athletes.

I'd also add that with these new super-conferences that coming into shape, a time where the NCAA is basically rendered obsolete might be just around the corner (see: early history of AAU)

I agree with you Luke. But should football and basketball support all these losing athletic programs, mostly women's sports (Title IX)? If they are not self supporting...get rid of them. In the corporate world, if a line of business loses money, it's shut down.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Registered

Quote:
I agree with you Luke. But should football and basketball support all these losing athletic programs, mostly women's sports (Title IX)? If they are not self supporting...get rid of them. In the corporate world, if a line of business loses money, it's shut down.
Hey, we live in a world where the WNBA- a supposed commercial enterprise- has lost hundreds of millions of dollars over its entire 10+ year history- with no hope in sight- yet inexplicably continues to be philanthropically propped up by the NBA... not exactly helping the situation or any perceptions. As for the NCAA, Title IX is just a classic quagmire of a conundrum- ideal and morally just in theory, but too often a financial disaster.

All I know is that if your tournament finals draw about 7500-10000 on average per game, you shouldn't book 50,000+ capacity football stadiums for said events (2010 Women's Final Four Basketball/Alamodome/San Antonio, TX, and 2010 Men's Hockey Frozen Four Hockey/Ford Field/Detroit, MI)