The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Neither Stevie Nicks NOR Fleetwood Mac were "cool" by the late 80's. I was a college freshman in '88, and I was made fun of for liking both.
GH sold great, but As Long as You Follow flopped, and Behind the Mask was a disaster.

The Dance was a way for all of them to save face and become semi-relevant again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
You have a point there. And I feel like that's why she seemed so extra annoyed last tour. I think Lindsey was starting to get impatient with her and it made the situation more irritable. If you look back through old interviews and things from the past 3/4 years, he's been trying to get her back in the studio forever. I think the reason he did the EP at his house and made it all warm and cozy for her was to try and give her some of that Dave Stewart environment she loved so much and he even brought in an outside producer-- and it worked, she was very happy with that then but there's a difference between a few days on a tiny EP where she contributed one ancient song and a full blown album. But you can tell he's been trying to lure her in, it just hasn't been working.

And to be frank, as much as I love her, (and I'll say this is just my opinion) I think Stevie's entire solo success rests on her riding the waves of Fleetwood Mac. Her image and lyrics and everything obviously help her but I truly believe had she burst onto the scene as a solo artist just like that, she wouldn't have succeeded. People would have found her silly. But within Fleetwood Mac, it worked and gave her that gateway to solo popularity. By the late 80s, from everything I've read 'Stevie Nicks' was no longer cool, but Fleetwood Mac still was. And then when her solo career started to really flop, it was The Dance that saved her.

And speaking for my demographic (young 20s), Fleetwood Mac is huge these days. They're probably the most popular of those older bands amongst people my age, arguably the most popular. And I think that growing popularity amongst my demographic has contributed a lot to their growing success and popularity in recent years. But, although Fleetwood Mac is popular amongst young people, 'Stevie Nicks' isn't so much.

Wow this ended up as an essay and I think I got really sidetracked here haha.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
Neither Stevie Nicks NOR Fleetwood Mac were "cool" by the late 80's. I was a college freshman in '88, and I was made fun of for liking both.
GH sold great, but As Long as You Follow flopped, and Behind the Mask was a disaster.

The Dance was a way for all of them to save face and become semi-relevant again.
Oh really? Hmm I would have assumed otherwise since Tango sold so well, although I remember reading that it was bigger hit in the UK than it was here.

**Funny story, I was playing Little Lies the other day on my phone and my dad heard it and he was like OMG and said that I just gave him a major flashback because he remembered that song was ALL OVER the radio back then. And he was never even a Fleetwood Mac fan but he recognized it.

Last edited by dreamsunwind; 11-07-2016 at 01:18 AM..
Old 11-07-2016, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh trust me I know all this and I have no doubt you're right. But maybe I'm wrong I don't know, I feel like in the past couple of years,
Like around the time that CHRISTINE came back to the band, after 16 years of absence?

Quote:
I was at a 4th of July party that was all college students and they had a playlist going and it was mostly young acts, but then they had Dreams in there as well as Go Your Own Way.
I do lighting for a very popular "college band" that does GYOW, and I'm always impressed that the ENTIRE crowd is screaming the chorus!

Quote:
Like I can tell you that Fleetwood Mac is a lot more popular amongst people my age then The Eagles or Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers or Linda Ronstadt or similar acts from the time. Like, they sell Fleetwood Mac vinyls at Urban Outfitters, every young teenager/college student's favorite store.
I don't even know if what I'm saying is making any sense.
Yes, it makes sense, and I'm glad to hear that they're still making new fans.

Quote:
I do agree with you that they would have a hard time selling an album. I believe a lot of those fans are more casual listeners who mostly only know Rumours and maybe The White Album and only go to the concerts to hear those songs that they like.
They should stop worrying about whether or not Stevie is on the album, because it's probably not going to sell much anyway, these days.

But if she IS going to hop on the train, she needs to do it ASAP. Time's a wastin'...
Old 11-07-2016, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That is probably true. But I think a 12-14 song, well crafted CD finale could do it, WITH the right marketing.
I think after Tango for the band, and OSOTM for Stevie, the record company chose dreadful , adult contemporary singles to release.
"Save Me" was not a good first single, "maybe love", terrible.
TISL had great tracks, and people were pumped to hear new Stevie solo, and they chose "Everyday"........... blech!!!
And finally, "Peacekeeper" was an awful lead single for SYW. At a time when patriotic fervor was going high, the record company chose a song that seemed to make the band political, which they NEVER have been.
I still wish they had moved to Interscope for that release. Jimmy knows how to market Stevie, and I suspect he could have done the same for the full band.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I know it's hard to believe, but once upon a time, in a land far away....they were the biggest band in the world.

They are still amazingly popular for senior citizens, but they'd have a hard time selling a million records now(with Stevie or not).
Old 11-07-2016, 01:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Like around the time that CHRISTINE came back to the band, after 16 years of absence?

I do lighting for a very popular "college band" that does GYOW, and I'm always impressed that the ENTIRE crowd is screaming the chorus!

They should stop worrying about whether or not Stevie is on the album, because it's probably not going to sell much anyway, these days.

But if she IS going to hop on the train, she needs to do it ASAP. Time's a wastin'...
I agree, Christine is so wonderful. Her voice is so warm and flutey . I wish her name was as popular as Stevie's although I love them both. I wish all their names were as popular as Stevie's.

And that's exactly how it was at the party I was at! It was so much fun to see. I think Go Your Own Way is such a wonderful, enduring song because it's so anthemic. It makes everyone want to get up, and the chorus is so fun to scream along to.

And I agree on Stevie as well, but it would just make me so sad if she doesn't involve herself in the last album. But I'd also feel bad if she did and didn't enjoy it. It's like a lose-lose situation
Old 11-07-2016, 01:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree, Christine is so wonderful. Her voice is so warm and flutey . I wish her name was as popular as Stevie's although I love them both. I wish all their names were as popular as Stevie's.

And that's exactly how it was at the party I was at! It was so much fun to see. I think Go Your Own Way is such a wonderful, enduring song because it's so anthemic. It makes everyone want to get up, and the chorus is so fun to scream along to.

And I agree on Stevie as well, but it would just make me so sad if she doesn't involve herself in the last album. But I'd also feel bad if she did and didn't enjoy it. It's like a lose-lose situation
She's the QUEEN of FM, in some of our minds. Don't kill our buzz...because you CAN'T.

GYOW. I wonder in terms of radio play, where it stands royalty wise, compared to others? Because I hear it more than any other songs from their heyday...

I would be a crime if Stevie doesn't contribute to this...LAST(come on, let's not kid ourselves, here) album. But if she's being a stubborn ass, they should just release it without her.

Welcome to the board, BTW.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She's the QUEEN of FM, in some of our minds. Don't kill our buzz...because you CAN'T.

GYOW. I wonder in terms of radio play, where it stands royalty wise, compared to others? Because I hear it more than any other songs from their heyday...

I would be a crime if Stevie doesn't contribute to this...LAST(come on, let's not kid ourselves, here) album. But if she's being a stubborn ass, they should just release it without her.

Welcome to the board, BTW.
On Spotify, which is what I think almost everyone uses for streaming, Go Your Own Way is the most listened to Fleetwood Mac song by quite a large number. The third is Everywhere which has 61 million streams. The second is Dreams with 71 million. Go Your Own Way is the number one most listened to with 100 million. So that's a nearly 30 million gap between it and the number 2 song. It's super popular. Before I really got familiar with Fleetwood Mac, that was the song I knew of. That's not really surprising to me because it's probably one of the most perfect, catchiest, rock songs ever.

I'm sad, I hopped onto the Fleetwood Mac train just as they're finishing up.

And thank you! Happy to be here
Old 11-07-2016, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post

They were not "cool" was because of the easy pop songs and album they did with Lindsey. Rock stations played very little of Tango.
IMHO Behind the Mask was more genuine, a true group effort with a return to blues and rock. On BTM we got to hear Christine play keyboards again. So much of Tango was pre-recorded drum machines and synth pop machines.
Mirage was pop too but at least the played real instruments and it was a group effort.
Stevie did Rockline in 1989 promoting her TOSOTM album and spoke about the "new" Mac and said she liked it better because the band "rocked" and returned to rock n roll.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-07-2016 at 08:01 AM..
Old 11-07-2016, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
They were not "cool" was because of the easy pop songs and album they did with Lindsey. Rock stations played very little of Tango.
It must have been a regional thing, because my partner and his friends graduated high school in 1989, and they all talk about how massive Tango was. None of these people are FM fans per se, but they all know all the songs on Tango and sing along to them when I play the album.

Quote:
So much of Tango was pre-recorded drum machines and synth pop machines. Mirage was pop too but at least the played real instruments and it was a group effort. Stevie did Rockline in 1989 promoting her TOSOTM album and spoke about the "new" Mac and said she liked it better because the band "rocked" and returned to rock n roll.
This just proves once again what a nutjob Stevie is. She talks about liking the "rock" sound of the new Mac so much better while promoting The Other Side Of The Mirror- the most syrupy produced, airy fairy, least rock album she's ever done? If she liked the new direction and band so much, why did she quit a year later? You can't take anything this woman says at face value.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

LouieLouie
I was commenting on the other person's post. He used the word cool. I sort of understood what he meant. I meant that to be in rock circles or teenagers into music. I am the just a tad younger than the poster who said that. He was in college in 1988 and I was in high school. As a huge Mac fan at the time I was disappointed how shunned Tango was on rock stations and the "cool" kids. Lets be honest....Big Love is a bubble gum simple pop song that only required Lindsey to create.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-07-2016 at 09:25 AM..
Old 11-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So much of Tango was pre-recorded drum machines and synth pop machines.
Mirage was pop too but at least the played real instruments and it was a group effort.
While Tango has some very catchy songs, the production is SO dated, and over the top, that it's one of my least favorite albums. And it sounds nothing like an actual band playing!

Mirage DOES sound like a band playing, and never got the love it deserved. It may have something to do with my age(and fandom) when it came out, but it's always been a favorite of mine.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
While Tango has some very catchy songs, the production is SO dated, and over the top, that it's one of my least favorite albums. And it sounds nothing like an actual band playing!

Mirage DOES sound like a band playing, and never got the love it deserved. It may have something to do with my age(and fandom) when it came out, but it's always been a favorite of mine.
Mirage has a thread.. from That's All Right to Wish You Were here...

I wish Oh Diane had been dropped for If You Were My Love
Old 11-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I wish Oh Diane had been dropped for If You Were My Love
While Family Man has always gotten so much hate, I love it, compared to Oh Diane!
Old 11-07-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
While Family Man has always gotten so much hate, I love it, compared to Oh Diane!
Oh Diane has grown on me, but it still doesn't really fit with the rest of the album. It's a bummer.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Oh Diane has grown on me, but it still doesn't really fit with the rest of the album. It's a bummer.
It reminds me a little of The Kinks' "Come Dancing" that came out around that time: a cute, arch 50s send-up. But nothing more.