User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The simple reason why Obama won was America desperately wanted change. They were sick of open-ended wars, a sagging economy, and the same political dynasty families holding all the Nation's power: ie Bushes, Kennedys, Clintons, et al. I think many people felt that Bush had run the country into the ground with his policies, so they swung to his complete opposite for their new leadership: Obama. Compared to Obama, Hillary seemed like a typical career Washington crony... she looked perpetually tired and was not a particularly energizing presence. She seemed far removed from Middle America. Fresh faced and enthusiastic Obama was just the opposite. He seemed like a true Washington outsider. He spoke of great change, of getting America back on track, and instilled hope in people. Compared to Bush, he was a natural and engaging orator. He just seemed like the absolute right person at the right time who said all the right things.

That being said, I have no doubt that without the backing of Oprah Winfrey, Obama wouldn't have made it into 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. I am guessing if Oprah had instead endored Hillary, Hillary would have won by record margins. Hillary was indeed the common sense pick, but she wasn't the one who pulled at people's heart strings. Oprah's endorsement of Obama was undoubtedly the swing vote. Oprah has always come across to America as a trusted voice of reason. When she endorses anything, people follow. Oprah's championing Obama was what pushed him to the forefront, I have no doubt. It validated to people that it was okay to vote with your heart instead of with your brain.

Do I think the country would be different now had Hillary won instead? I have to say yes. The reason I say so is because it's my opinion Obama has encountered partisan resistance with a ferocity of which I've never seen before... and in my opinion, it's because he's black and has an Arabic name. Both of those factors threaten highly conservative white males... who have throughout the history of mankind have held all worldwide power. That's not to say their publicly voiced critiques of Obama aren't valid. He is inexperienced. He is without a doubt stumbling. No doubt he doesn't have the decades of Washington ties which would enable him to twist more arms and get more things done. He also doesn't come across as formidable of a presence as Hillary Clinton, per se. That being said, I don't really think he and Hillary had all that different of agendas for the country. And when it comes down to it, Hillary likely would have accomplished far more these past 2 years than Obama has been able to. Would Hillary have been steamrolled in the same fashion as Obama because she is a woman (and a very forceful one at that)? Possibly... but I think Hillary would have demanded respect and found ways to bring her adversaries to their knees. I think part of it is because Obama feels like he has to tread lightly because he is a minority with a greatly feared ethnicity in his background. I'm guessing if Obama is elected to a second term though, we'll see an entirely different, more forceful side of him.

All this being said, I unabashedly admit I voted for Obama in the primaries and in the presidential race. I still don't regret it either, because I felt he was the right candidate for the right time. To me, a vote for Obama was a ratification for all Americans that it is ok to vote for the candidate who you truly want... not just the one who has the best odds of winning. I freely admit I truly hate seeing Obama struggle the way he has, and because of it, the country seems to be stuck in a perpetual limbo. I still think Obama has the capability to do really wonderful things for America though, and still hold out hope he'll do just that.