Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Help Finding Column, Please

I expect I'm not the only one who remembers a famous Dear Ann Landers tearjerker column (possibly Dear Abby, but I don't think so) written from the perspective of a dog about to be put down.
It has the dog asking the owner not to leave him alone in his final moments.
This piece was reprinted in the column several times over the years, and I think it has also appeared on the Ledge (some time ago).
Of course, now that I want to share this particular column with a friend who just lost her beloved pet, I can't find it.
I have checked the official Dear Abby site & also Googled many different possibilities, all with no luck. I'll be grateful if anybody here can post the link!

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Jake
Old 06-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

omgoodness, i remember this, i used to read both columns w/ my granny~ i have no idea what the title was, i hope you find it, good luck!!!~
Old 06-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There's a few very touching ones out there--not sure if this is the one you are thinking about:

Dear Ann Landers, This short story is based on my own experience and I think it will touch anyone who has ever owned a pet. I wrote it with tears in my eyes. Will you please print it? Charles B. Wells Jr., Palmyra, NY-

DOGS DON'T HAVE SOULS, DO THEY?

I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur. You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in a while, you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this was your territory.

Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes as if to say: "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you're not watching."

As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." You never had a bad day and I could always count on you to be there for me.

When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap looking for attention. You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.

As you got older, you moved around more slowly. Then one day, old age finally took its toll, and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up at me as if to say you were old and tired and that after all these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me to do one last favor.

With tears in my eyes, I drove you one last time to the vet. One last time you were lying next to me. For some strange reason you were able to stand up in the animal hospital - perhaps it was your sense of pride.

As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say: "Thank you for taking care of me."

I thought, "No - thank YOU for taking care of ME."
Source(s):
http://www.mymistyrose.com/misty/littlel…
Old 06-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, but this is not the one (though it's very nice).
The piece I'm looking for is longer and sadder. The pet is not led away, but rather stays in the owner's arms while dying - this after asking not to be left alone at the moment of death.

- Jake
Old 06-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is probably not the one either, but it puts things in perspective.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris
Old 06-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

oh my God. I'm choking back a blob of tears.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is really annoying the crap out of me, that an essay this famous is so hard to find today.
I found someone's post on Google from a couple of years ago, asking for the same article; she seems to suggest it was called "When It Is Time" - ring a bell with anyone?

Again, I know it was printed at least three or four times over several decades in Ann Landers or Dear Abby, though someone else is the author.

I must say that I take for granted these days that I'll be able to find whatever I'm looking for after a fast search...

- Jake
Old 06-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know but the search for such brings back memories...
I will continue looking as available.

petloss.com is a good source for support.

I Stood By Your Bed Last Night

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep. I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear, "It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea, You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore. I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care. I want to reassure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key. I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "it's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair. I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everyday. To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew, in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide, I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see. Be patient, live your journey out ... then come home to be with me.

- Author unknown
Old 06-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

FROM FRIEND TO FRIEND

You're giving me a special gift,
So sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days,
Your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic, that will
Once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess,
Is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done,
For it's the only way.

That strength is why I've followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years...
My partner 'til the end.

Please, understand just what this gift,
You're giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength I've lost,
And all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right,
For I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent,
And through your hand I feel,
The courage that's within you,
To now grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here,
Dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady dog,
My pain and struggle done.

And don't despair my passing,
For I won't be far away,
Forever here, within your heart,
And memory I'll stay.

I'll be there watching over you,
Your ever faithful friend,
And in your memories I'll run,
...a young dog once again.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

two more and a link you might see about... http://www.griefhealing.com/comfort-...mal-lovers.htm

jake, good on you for helping your friend, take care

When the Time Comes

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me 'till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

May I Go?
May I go now?
Do you think the time is right?
May I say good-bye to pain-filled days
and endless lonely nights?
I’ve lived my life and done my best,
an example tried to be.
So can I take that step beyond
and set my spirit free?
I didn’t want to go at first,
I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me now
to a warm and loving light.
I want to go.
I really do.
It’s difficult to stay.
But I will try as best I can
to live just one more day,
To give you time to care for me
and share your love and fears.
I know you’re sad and so afraid,
because I see your tears.
I’ll not be far,
I promise that, and hope you’ll always know
that my spirit will be close to you,
wherever you may go.
Thank you so for loving me.
You know I love you too.
That’s why it’s hard to say good-bye
and end this life with you.
So hold me now, just one more time
and let me hear you say,
because you care so much for me,
you’ll let me go today.
— Susan A. Jackson
Old 06-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

DAMN IT!! I can't be crying at work!

My beagle, Daisy, is 13 and her best days are in the rear view...I know "the decision" looms close on the horizon....I've done it 3 times in the last 10 years...my Rottie, Rudy (in my avatar), two of my parents' dogs...one was over 20 and hung on too long after a stroke, the other gone too soon at 10 due to an unforseen illness.

These are just setting off all the flood gates knowing what is to come.

Ok, so now the "grumpy old guy" image is blown...yes, chiliD HAS an extra sensitive soft side when it comes to animals.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Of course, I'm more frustrated than ever that this column has not turned up. When/if it does, it will be worth the wait. As I remember, it's the most touching of them all - & I'm definitely more cynical than sappy about these things.

- Jake
Old 06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
DAMN IT!! I can't be crying at work!

My beagle, Daisy, is 13 and her best days are in the rear view...I know "the decision" looms close on the horizon....I've done it 3 times in the last 10 years...my Rottie, Rudy (in my avatar), two of my parents' dogs...one was over 20 and hung on too long after a stroke, the other gone too soon at 10 due to an unforseen illness.

These are just setting off all the flood gates knowing what is to come.

Ok, so now the "grumpy old guy" image is blown...yes, chiliD HAS an extra sensitive soft side when it comes to animals.
Next month is 20 years since we put the family dog down - hard to believe it has been that long.
I think it's great that, despite the past heartache, you've still chosen to give all these dogs better lives up to the end.

- Jake
Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I know ((((chiliD))))

Searching for Jake set me into a bit of a tailspin today too.

There really isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of my shelly girl; the only variance is that I will either ruminate the horrific way she left me or vision again the miracle of watching her vapored soul rise...her face at peace.

all too much. ((((chiliD))))

A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS.........

1.My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.
2.Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3.Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.
4.Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.
5.Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.
6.Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
7.Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to.
8.Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.
9.Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.
10.On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.