The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-17-2023, 06:04 PM
dougl's Avatar
dougl dougl is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 298
Default Over My Head

Waddy introducing a nice cover hereÖ

https://youtu.be/O17BiAhbf-Y?si=pnYMVziEvO2o2_hx
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 10-17-2023, 10:38 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 8,791
Default

Waddy was the more obvious replacement for Bob. Obviously, it worked out for everyone, but Waddy was much more in line with the prior Fleetwood Mac guitarist.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.



THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-17-2023, 10:53 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 6,052
Default

That is a very nice tribute cover. The backing band has faithfully reproduced the original instrumentation. Maureen has a soft, warm alto Christine probably would have liked. She warbles a bit, but her never vibrato is never overdone.

But Christine sang with virtually no vibrato. Her distinctive vocals were reliant almost entirely on tone and phrasing. That "pure, dusky" voice is so difficult for any other singer to equal, let alone surpass.

Her nearest likeness is Dusty Springfield, who was still quite different. Her, Sandy Denny, and maybe Judy Collins. But even alongside these singers, Christine's voice stands apart. It's earthier, homelier, and yet somehow moodier and more mysterious.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-18-2023, 07:15 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 16,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
That is a very nice tribute cover. The backing band has faithfully reproduced the original instrumentation. Maureen has a soft, warm alto Christine probably would have liked. She warbles a bit, but her never vibrato is never overdone.

But Christine sang with virtually no vibrato. Her distinctive vocals were reliant almost entirely on tone and phrasing. That "pure, dusky" voice is so difficult for any other singer to equal, let alone surpass.

Her nearest likeness is Dusty Springfield, who was still quite different. Her, Sandy Denny, and maybe Judy Collins. But even alongside these singers, Christine's voice stands apart. It's earthier, homelier, and yet somehow moodier and more mysterious.
Her voice was So Sincere, too. My exact thoughts were, "God, it's a nightmare to cover Christine. "
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-18-2023, 12:08 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 6,256
Default

Great cover
The stories Waddy could tell
He was more than just "there".....he plays guitar solo on Sugar Daddy and is credited for it
Someone correct Waddy. Lindsey had another hit called Tusk. And who could forget Oh Diane!!!!!!!
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-18-2023, 12:21 PM
BLY BLY is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 1,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Great cover
The stories Waddy could tell
He was more than just "there".....he plays guitar solo on Sugar Daddy and is credited for it
Someone correct Waddy. Lindsey had another hit called Tusk. And who could forget Oh Diane!!!!!!!
Big Love was a hit!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-18-2023, 01:00 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 16,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Great cover
The stories Waddy could tell
He was more than just "there".....he plays guitar solo on Sugar Daddy and is credited for it
Someone correct Waddy. Lindsey had another hit called Tusk. And who could forget Oh Diane!!!!!!!
And Big Love
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-18-2023, 02:21 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 6,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
And Big Love
That only counts halfway. It was only a hit because Lindsey left the band.
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-18-2023, 09:00 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 6,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
That only counts halfway. It was only a hit because Lindsey left the band.
Thatís not true. I believe it hit the top ten before he made his announcement. It certainly got full promotion before he did so.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-19-2023, 04:19 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 6,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
That’s not true. I believe it hit the top ten before he made his announcement. It certainly got full promotion before he did so.
That's an inside joke that I would have imagined you would have gotten since you have been around here for awhile. There is a member here (that I love) that claims Tango's biggest hit was caused by the drama of Lindsey leaving the band. I am not trying to reignite that debate but saw an opportunity. Sorry
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-19-2023 at 04:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-19-2023, 07:42 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 16,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
That's an inside joke that I would have imagined you would have gotten since you have been around here for awhile. There is a member here (that I love) that claims Tango's biggest hit was caused by the drama of Lindsey leaving the band. I am not trying to reignite that debate but saw an opportunity. Sorry
That will never stop bothering you.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-19-2023, 07:58 AM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 8,791
Default

Nuance is lost on some people.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.



THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-19-2023, 10:52 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 6,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
That will never stop bothering you.
It does not bother me at all. I find it very entertaining to this day. It fascinates me which is why I cant forget it. But my jokes are light hearted and sometimes he is the only one that gets them.
We are like Fleetwood Mac members when our writings about other members in a subtle ways provide an enjoyable read. Just like bwboy went after me for calling Stevie's house a drug den That's entertainment!
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-19-2023, 11:26 AM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 4,310
Default

Big Love reached the top ten list in several countries. To achieve that, the song needed not only the fans but the masses in general (it needed single sales and radio airplay; nowadays the songs need downloads and streaming, too).

Back in 1987, I wonder how much did the masses find out about Lindsey's departure during the song momentum in radios. There was no internet, social networks. Yes the DJs may have commented about it, and it sure mattered to fans, but did it matter enough to the masses? Did they learn about all the story behind Lindsey departure? I'm not so sure about it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-19-2023, 11:31 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 6,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Big Love reached the top ten list in several countries. To achieve that, the song needed not only the fans but the masses in general (it needed single sales and radio airplay; nowadays the songs need downloads and streaming, too).

Back in 1987, I wonder how much did the masses find out about Lindsey's departure during the song momentum in radios. There was no internet, social networks. Yes the DJs may have commented about it, and it sure mattered to fans, but did it matter enough to the masses? Did they learn about all the story behind Lindsey departure? I'm not so sure about it.
Please
Let's not go there (again)

It was a simple joke line that was not meant to start this debate again
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


8x10 Print Fleetwood Mac Peter Green Mick Fleetwood John McVie 1969 MEF picture

8x10 Print Fleetwood Mac Peter Green Mick Fleetwood John McVie 1969 MEF

$14.99



Fleetwood Mac John McVie Vintage Guitar Pick - 1993 US Tour picture

Fleetwood Mac John McVie Vintage Guitar Pick - 1993 US Tour

$29.99



Fleetwood Mac Tour John McVie Bass Guitar Pick picture

Fleetwood Mac Tour John McVie Bass Guitar Pick

$25.00



* JOHN MCVIE * signed 8x10 photo * FLEETWOOD MAC * BASSIST * COA * 2 picture

* JOHN MCVIE * signed 8x10 photo * FLEETWOOD MAC * BASSIST * COA * 2

$170.00



Fleetwood Mac John McVie Vintage Tour Guitar Pick picture

Fleetwood Mac John McVie Vintage Tour Guitar Pick

$49.99




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved