User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Coffee Geekery

Well, there are more than a few gay dudes here. Wreckless stereotyping would suggest that a coffee thread should do well. Perhaps I'm wrong... But I'd still like somewhere to go on about the black drug-filled goodness that is coffee.

Coffee is awesome. Good coffee is especially awesome, but I'm no purist and enjoy so-so and sometimes even (*gasp*) instant coffee as well. It all has its place in the great global marketplace. So let's talk. What coffees do you like? Blends? Preparation methods? Are you an espresso fan? Or do you think espresso tastes like mud? What are your thoughts on the aeropress? Or do you think anyone who's even heard of an "aeropress" probably spends too much time with their head up their ass? Milk? Sugar? Or are they blasphemous suggestions? So many questions, so many potential answers. Exciting, isn't it?

GO!

OK, here's my self-indulgent contribution to kick things off. Feel free to skip this bit and go ahead with your own take on coffee awesomeness.

I used a teensy bit of wedding money to buy a just-for me stainless-steel bialetti "venus" stovetop pot. It makes about 2 ounces of near-espresso-strength coffee, which is exactly the strength I like, in exactly the quantity I enjoy (I always find myself getting sick of a mug of traditional filter coffee about halfway through, which is just depressing). I am absolutely in love with the little guy. At the moment I don't seem inclined to make coffee any other way. I've even stopped ordering espresso at cafe's when I'm out because I'm eager to get home and make a cup with the thing. Even though basically any Italian in the history of the 20th century owns one of these, I still somehow feel like I've unlocked the secret of the coffee universe. I want to start a collection of the things in various sizes and styles. Sadly (or perhaps thankfully) I lack the space to do so.

^ SO CUTE! SO IN LOVE!

*ahem* anyway. In terms of actual coffee, I'm enjoying using my pot with Caffe Trucillo Moka coffee. Pre-ground, for stovetop use, because I'm a terrible person and lack my own grinder, but I did mention I wasn't a purist, didn't I? Anyway, call me an uncultured swine for not using freshly-ground, but the stuff tastes great to me. Lavazza has some interesting espresso blends that I'm interested in trying my hand at next.

I am, however, considering stepping-up my obsession and buying a manual grinder. When I'm honest with myself, I really lack the kitchen space and fundage for a decent electric grinder, so the crank will have to do. And I'm attracted to the sort of ritual element it adds to the proceedings (jeesh I sound wanky). Anyone have any experience with grinders of this type? There's a few on amazon that look pretty slick to me and seem to get a positive response, like this one (http://tinyurl.com/nuc88l2), but I wondered if any Ledgies had insight?

Oh, and please. Please do not talk about tea here. I am so sick of talking about coffee and then having someone chime in with how much they enjoy a "nice green tea" after Yoga in the morning. Oh, you enjoy green tea? Well, I enjoy panda bears. But I put my panda bear love in a separate forum thread, because it is a completely different thing. Tea-lovers, make your own thread! (I jest!... Sort of.)

Last edited by Dex; 07-28-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Old 07-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

Lol I almost went there with the tea!

I think it would be cool to get an antique coffee grinder. Probably wall mounted so that its also a conversation piece. Clear glass so that the beans are visible.

I have a small electric grinder that's noisy, so the thought of turning by hand in a ritual, is appealing.

Currently, I have a Kuerig for day-to-day, but I also have a French press for special occasions.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1969 View Post
Lol I almost went there with the tea!

I think it would be cool to get an antique coffee grinder. Probably wall mounted so that its also a conversation piece. Clear glass so that the beans are visible.

I have a small electric grinder that's noisy, so the thought of turning by hand in a ritual, is appealing.

Currently, I have a Kuerig for day-to-day, but I also have a French press for special occasions.
I've never actually used a Keurig but have always been a bit interested in them. Any coffee method that makes one cup at a time is intriguing to me, as someone who often finds himself sipping brew alone among a bunch of tea and juice enthusiast. In your opinion, how big is the difference in flavour/quality between the Keurig and the more coffee-snob-approved French Press?

There's a shop near my house that sells a bunch of old-school and very decorative manual grinders that would look really cool in my kitchen, but... practically speaking, I think I'd have a much easier time with a handheld one.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I use the Bodum bistro press everyday. Using a travel mug and a Pyrex, it produces about two cups full. Regular around $35, I found one on eBay for $10.

My parents use a Keurig and ir works fine, as well. To me, the coffee seems every bit as strong as the French press stuff that I brew at home. Obviously, it's not as cost-effective, but there's also no clean-up.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like coffee.

Black, only, please. I'm a little bit of a snob when it comes to my favorite black drink. When in circumstances beyond my control, I'll drink most any coffee as long as it hasn't been polluted by dairy, immitation dairy, or sweeteners of any kind. I also detest flavored coffees.

When I have my way, I prefer African coffee only. I will never willing, knowingly select a coffee grown in Asia or South America. Only African - well, I should be specific - only Ethiopian coffee tastes the way I prefer coffee to taste. Slightly acidic, floral and herbal. I'll drink coffee from Rwanda or Kenya, but Ethiopian really is the best. Sidamo in particular is the king of coffee for me.

Sometimes I grind it myself, and sometimes I just ask the store where I buy the coffee to grind it for me. I don't feel strongly either way about that. Never freeze it. Seriously. You ruin coffee by freezing it - you are not preserving it, but are destroying the essential oils.

Coffee must be prepared in a french press; any other method results in dissatisfactory results. I like it murky, oily on top, and I expect there to be a heavy residue at the bottom of my cup. Filtered coffee is the worst. I see no point in drinking filtered coffee. Might as well drink tea...which I also enjoy.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 07-29-2013 at 11:07 AM..
Old 07-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

An African enthusiast! How interesting! Sidamo is great, but I don't mind multi-region blends generally. I do find 100% Latin American coffees always tends to be a bit too acidic for my liking, though. That's the only point I'm finnicky on, region-wise.

I enjoy a French Press every now and then, but the flavour of a smaller, more intense espresso shot is generally preferable to me. The different elements of coffee flavours brought out by different methods is part of what makes coffee so exciting, to me. A blend I don't enjoy as espresso can be absolutely delightful in a french press. Coffee always seems to surprise me.

I wouldn't call filter coffee "the worst", but I do find it baffling that it endures as the coffee-making staple of North America. A French Press is easier to use and much easier to clean than a filter machine, IMO. Yet here we are. I don't get it. Any drip-filter enthusiasts here that want to rush to the defense of the good ol' American coffee machine? There must be some of you out there!

I'm with you on the no-dairy-in-coffee philosophy. But truthfully, I don't particularly enjoy dairy products generally. So I'm a little biased. I admire the artistry involved in producing a good cappuccino, but I admire it more than actually enjoy drinking it. I've been looking at milk-frothers on amazon lately, though... Just in case I get the urge to show off in front of cap-loving friends.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I enjoy a French Press every now and then, but the flavour of a smaller, more intense espresso shot is generally preferable to me.
Espresso is sublime. I love it. I don't have an espresso machine, and honestly it probably would be a bad idea for my already crowded countertops. When I went to Italy a few summers ago, that was a highlight of the trip for me - espresso everywhere, and Italian men in suits downing the stuff like it was water, everywhere, even in gas stations.

The low point of that same trip was *totally forgetting* to have coffee in Turkey. A true facepalm moment for me...as the ship was drifting away towards Greece.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Turkish coffee! I've still not had it even once, sadly. We were at a truly spectacular Turkish restaurant the other night and I was eyeing the Turkish coffee on the dessert menu. Sadly, nobody else wanted to partake in dessert/coffee and social pressure compelled me to pass on it. I'm still kicking myself. That was certainly probably the only place in my area I could've experienced Turkish coffee that is somewhat authentic/decent. Oh well. Never hurts to have an excuse to go back, eh?

I've watched a few youtube how-tos of preparing Turkish coffee, and... Yeah. The process just looks way too finnicky and involved for me to really get into much on my own. Still, though, the pots aren't terribly expensive. Investing in one, just to experiment and play with a little, is something I'm considering.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't actually think I like the taste of coffee too much, but I do drink it on about half of my mornings and I am trying to eventually replace my occasional energy drinks with coffee, because I know it is healthier than all those chemicals and crap in Monsters. I drink strong coffee with a good amount of half and half and a little sugar. I use milk or vanilla creamer in a pinch, although milk waters it down too much. I also think I need to expand my horizons beyond Folgers and Columbia.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueletter18 View Post
I don't actually think I like the taste of coffee too much, but I do drink it on about half of my mornings and I am trying to eventually replace my occasional energy drinks with coffee, because I know it is healthier than all those chemicals and crap in Monsters. I drink strong coffee with a good amount of half and half and a little sugar. I use milk or vanilla creamer in a pinch, although milk waters it down too much. I also think I need to expand my horizons beyond Folgers and Columbia.
You know its odd, but I truly love the taste of black coffee. And unsweetened tea, and hearty beers.

I'd probably enjoy the taste of dirt.

But that's how it is to me, all very earthy, a little bitter, slightly medicinal.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Turkish coffee!
ha, i was wondering whether someone will bring it up! i grew up on turkish coffee and hated it all the way through my mid 20s, with all the little coffee pieces always at the bottom. now i love it, reminds me of my much younger days. of course you may need this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cezve#D...h_Cezve_Models to make it, but in a pinch you can just use any small metal pot.

my favorite is cappuccino, just heaven as far as i'm concerned. espresso is too small for how strong it is, i need to savor it a bit longer. i love the smell of coffee, but i go back and forth on the taste of pure coffee, without milk and sugar. most of the time i make it with milk and sugar, so it's my breakfast and tastes like a cake . i can drink any coffee, and american filter coffee is easy.

caffeine is actually the only thing i'm addicted to, since i get headaches if i don't have just the right amount of coffee in the morning. i hate being addicted to anything, but i've had migraines since i was a kid, and this helps, plus it's better than taking anything much more artificial.

and since we are on the FM board, i will conclude with saying that it seems many of the ex-druggie/alcoholic rock stars seem to have replaced their vices of the past with just lots and lots of straight-up black coffee.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I absolutely love the taste of coffee. But I didn't until I was about 22, so I can completely understand where people are coming from when they say they don't.

Caffeine is an issue for me, actually. I'm always affected quite significantly by it, sometimes to the point of anxiety. Which is annoying because I always have to calculate when I can drink it so it won't interfere with my sleep or ability to function normally at work. Big pain.

I've actually just bought some (*gasp*) Lavazza Decaffienato to experiment with. Hopefully it lives up to its claim of being completely unaltered by some "revolutionary" new decaffeination process. I'm skeptical, but willing to try.

I used to think decaf coffee was sacrilege. But now I have a 9-5 work routine, I need to make some compromises. Sleep is important, yo! Watch this space.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
ha, i was wondering whether someone will bring it up! i grew up on turkish coffee and hated it all the way through my mid 20s, with all the little coffee pieces always at the bottom. now i love it, reminds me of my much younger days. of course you may need this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cezve#D...h_Cezve_Models to make it, but in a pinch you can just use any small metal pot.
Yes, I'm wondering how I'll enjoy it, having so many grinds in the cup. Something one doesn't tend to aspire to using other prep methods. But that's all part of the magic of different coffee experiences, I guess. I imagine it'll take some getting used to though.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I used to think decaf coffee was sacrilege.
it mostly definitely is!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Don't tell me that, elle! I need positive encouragement as I continue steadily on this path to utter old-ladydom.

I need someone to tell me how confident that are that I will have a positive decaf experience! Unfortunately that is probably highly unlikely in the real world. Ho hum.