Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Marketing Fleewood Mac

My wife bought a "nook" recently and while looking for supplies and accessories for it, I was struck by the number of Beatles items there were available. Different covers protraying different Beatles albums and so forth. Walking through Target I've noticed many Beatles themed products.

Why if FM not cashing in on this? If the criticism of Mick is to be believed, all he's after is another payday, so why not market FM to the hilt in the same way as the Beatles? Glassware, t-shirts, mousepads, "nook" and "kindle" covers, tote bags, etc, etc, etc. Why not? It's not like we fans wouldn't buy this stuff, just like Beatles fans do. (Or at least people claiming to be FM fans who really just want something "retro". Either way, there's $$$$ to be made, so why not?!))

It wouldn't have to be limited to just "Rumours" or "Fleetwood Mac" or "Tusk" or "Mirage" either. It could encompass the cover art from every FM album, or just whatever they wanted to do.

I think the band is missing something here that they should look into for the future once they have finally "retired".

Anyway, just a thought.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Ledgie

Even though I would love to have anything and everything Fleetwood Mac.... I'm glad that they HAVEN'T done anything like this. IMO it creates a sort of magic around them- that they are more about the music than selling themselves out. I hate when I see music "artists" acting or walking the catwalk. Can't we just have some good old fashion rock n rollers anymore?
Old 05-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Kiss is the worse offender. They have branded coffins. They are like the Hello Kitty of rock.

Michele
Old 05-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There are so many things and ways that FM and "the powers that be" can make money off us fans between album reissues, concerts DVD, that Tusk documentary, a music video compiliation DVD set, etc. It's like Fleetwood Mac is some sorta secret cult or something when it doesn't have to be like that.

I'm a big fan of Dark Shadows, the TV series from the 60's. There is a great amount of merchandise from DVD's, CD's, documentaries, heck even action figures and boxer shorts! It's mostly online at Amazon and other DS related websites/vendors, but still it's out there with fans all over spending there money.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post

I'm a big fan of Dark Shadows, the TV series from the 60's. There is a great amount of merchandise from DVD's, CD's, documentaries, heck even action figures and boxer shorts! It's mostly online at Amazon and other DS related websites/vendors, but still it's out there with fans all over spending there money.
Oh Dark Shadows used to have as much gear as Star Trek. My aunt used to buy everything. Fangs, albums, Josette's Music box (which I coveted badly), jewelry and all the books. I used to go through her things and read those paperbacks. Some starred Barnabas, some starred Quentin. They were love stories each with the same exact plot, but it didn't make any difference. I consumed them.

There's so much unofficial stuff that FM could put out officially in good quality. They wouldn't even have to bother creating or designing anything new. Put the videos on DVD. Release the tour footage we've had for decades in clear HD rather than the snowy, 8th generation VHS we have, release those "making of" Big Love and Gypsy things.

I don't understand them really. In many ways they are a sibling to the Eagles and yet they've never had the same marketing genius. Never come close. Never tried.

Michele
Old 05-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Making and selling odds and ends and nick naks .That would be a good question if they will sell.Stevie and Lindsey Barbie dolls.Micks wooden balls.LOL.Johns captains cap probably sell great at concerts.I know I would buy them.

Stuffed Penguins would be great.

At concerts now we see retreads for past tours with some of the graphics change on tee shirts.

On recorded media.They should open those darn vaults and release anything that has not been on CD or DVD.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 05-21-2012, 06:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Kiss is the worse offender. They have branded coffins. They are like the Hello Kitty of rock.

Michele

Now, there's an analogy I never thought I'd read!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Stevie and Lindsey Barbie dolls.
Those are what I'm waiting for!!!!!!

Also, a DVD of the music videos would be nice!!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would also find merchandise to be too cheesey and very "sell-out-ish".

However, really, there are all those audio-taped concerts from the Rumours and Tusk tours that really should make their way out to the world. Plus any video footage, like the entire Japan 1977 concert, the St. Louis 1979 show, etc.

This is the stuff that really should be getting out there before no one cares anymore.

Isn't there anything we can do to get this message across to WB and FM's management?

I know there was that petition with Ken a few years back that died. But maybe there's another way? Maybe one petition, regardless of the number of signers, isn't enought to get their attention. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. The ones that whine the most get the attention. The more continuous whining, the more people will try to stop it. It gets maddening. I know this from working in Customer Service; the customer service rep will do ANYTHING to stop the repeated calls of whining.

Maybe individual emails from everyone on the Ledge and, and from all of our friends and relatives would be worth a shot. And I mean daily emails. Or several emails sent several times a day. Bombard as many WB employees and Mick's, Stevie's, and Lindsey's management employees with hourly emails all day long. Maybe even start a Facebook page to recruit more people to write emails. Also, snail mail. Tons of paper letters. Make it so that they can't turn one step in any direction without seeing a communication about this.

I really believe given the advanced age of everyone, the band and fans alike, the window for getting this stuff out there is closing rapidly.

Just my opinion. I've seen this work with other products before. In fact, I think I'll start finding email and physical addresses and start this myself.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
I would also find merchandise to be too cheesey and very "sell-out-ish".

However, really, there are all those audio-taped concerts from the Rumours and Tusk tours that really should make their way out to the world. Plus any video footage, like the entire Japan 1977 concert, the St. Louis 1979 show, etc.

This is the stuff that really should be getting out there before no one cares anymore.
I completely agree! No one in Fleetwood Mac is hurting for money so much to stoop to that level of abject greed. Merchandising their images on "product" to try to make a buck would just tarish their image. I think most of the band members would agree, and find the concept very distasteful and an assault to their integrity.

Their music is their brand. Given that they are not the most prolific band (in comparison to some of their peers), it would mean a lot to their fans to properly release some of their historic performances. Many artists/bands have already been doing that.

Tori Amos, Crowded House, Lynard Skynard, The Doors, and numerous others have been doing that independently: releasing and selling select live peformances on their websites. Granted, though, Fleetwood Mac likely does not have exclusive rights to some of the material, and obtaining them could be cost-prohibitive. But deals could and should be made! "Let's make a deal here!"

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-22-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would focus on the re-releasing and releasing stuff that was never on cd's and DVD's.All of our Tusk docu videos are totally shot.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 05-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I would focus on the re-releasing and releasing stuff that was never on cd's and DVD's.All of our Tusk docu videos are totally shot.
I agree, I mean I know they probablyworry about releasing demos and stuff that was never meant for release to come out because they must think we'd think less of them if the quality of performance wasn't high (even though we wouldn't think that) but yeah no excuse for the likes of Tusk doc not being reissued since that WAS something they OK'ed for release at one time so what's the dif.

John