The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up For those of Us Ledgies Living In Florida- Would You Recommend It???

Alright, I'm sure some of you all know about my love of the beach and all things Florida. I have begun looking at universities in Florida to attend in the future for graduate school and in turn, potentially living in Florida. I was wondering if those of you who lived in the Sunshine state, had anything to say about it- positive or negative.

Right now the two schools I'm looking at are UCF and USF- preferably USF because it is in Tampa which is closer to the water!

Anyway, I look forward to hearing what you all have to say!!

Thanks in Advance!
Old 07-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've lived here 25+ years, and yes I would recommend it. I have moved away from Florida 4 times and come back 4 times. There is just something about it here that keeps me coming back.

http://www.sunny.org/webcam/
Old 07-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I went to the University of Miami for my four years of college and loved it. Visit both Orlando and Tampa (they are less than an hours drive from each other) and see which one you like better. DO NOT GO TO FSU. Nothing is worse than a Florida State Seminole.

Florida was my home (before I moved to San Diego to attend law school) for my whole life. It
's a fun place to be. Tampa has a much older demographic than Orlando.

My two cents

Old 07-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Florida. Though I'm not even american, I pretty know Miami and Fort Lauderdale suburbs. It's a great place. If I'd choose a US city state to live, probably it would be Florida, even in spite of hurricanes. It's more latin, and I am a latin guy.

But taking about universitys, don't choose because of location or beaches. Just choose the best. Research for the best in the career you want to take, then you'll be the best professional and you can find the job in any place you want.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I lived in Bradenton, Florida for a while when I was in my early 20s. The beaches were lovely, the nightlife was fantastic, the weather was hot (disgustingly hot for a few months), and the people were very bizarre. Lots of transplants where I was, and very little stability. I couldn't wait to leave and head back to NY.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't live in Florida, but have been there many times. South Florida is just too hot for me....and the humidity is awful. I attended a conference a the U in Miami in August...the heat was oppressive. I can say the same about Houston. But, some people like it that way.

As for universities. I think the best in Florida is UF....a highly nationally respected state university...also in the SEC...so games with UK.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Lived in the Orlando area for about 6 years in total. I was born in Ft. Lauderdale...but don't remember it, was too young.

The best friends I ever made in my life were in Orlando. That being said, I HATE the heat/humidity in Florida. And there are A LOT, I repeat, A LOT of assholes in Orlando. I don't know if it's the heat or what, but ****heads do abound.

At any rate, I have some AWESOME times in Orlando, and I still miss my friends there.

Tampa is great too, and I've been there many times. I think Orlando has much more going on, and you can be to Cocoa Beach in 40 minutes.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm going to Florida in mid Sept, is the humidity still cranked up then?
Old 07-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I'm going to Florida in mid Sept, is the humidity still cranked up then?
YES! Every year varies but generally it doesn't start to feel reasonably comfortable until around Oct/Nov. I lived in Fort Lauderdale twice in my life, totalling 10 years. The heat/humidity is brutal. I moved back to Philly last year and I was never happier to be home.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 07-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
Alright, I'm sure some of you all know about my love of the beach and all things Florida. I have begun looking at universities in Florida to attend in the future for graduate school and in turn, potentially living in Florida. I was wondering if those of you who lived in the Sunshine state, had anything to say about it- positive or negative.

Right now the two schools I'm looking at are UCF and USF- preferably USF because it is in Tampa which is closer to the water!

Anyway, I look forward to hearing what you all have to say!!

Thanks in Advance!
Well if you love (and I do mean love) heat, humidity, and the beach you'll be fine. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 10 years of my life and I enjoyed it while I was there but I knew when it was time to leave. I missed the change of seasons. As much as winter sucks, I still missed it. The relentless heat in S. Florida really took its toll after 10 years. I also survived two hurricanes and they're really not a whole lot of fun.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for your words guys. Like I said, I'm just looking and thinking about the future here. I have always loved vacationing in Florida, but there is a difference in that versus actually living there.

We'll definitely be taking a trip down to Florida I would say in the next 2 years to visit these school! My plan is to figure out which school I would like to attend graduate school- and of course the state it's in- by the time I graduate so that way after I get my Bachelor's degree, I can move to said state and get a job teaching for a couple of years so that when it's time for grad school, I'll get in state tuition!

Last edited by Musicman408; 07-11-2009 at 08:58 AM..
Old 07-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
Well if you love (and I do mean love) heat, humidity, and the beach you'll be fine. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 10 years of my life and I enjoyed it while I was there but I knew when it was time to leave. I missed the change of seasons. As much as winter sucks, I still missed it. The relentless heat in S. Florida really took its toll after 10 years. I also survived two hurricanes and they're really not a whole lot of fun.
Minus the ocean, this is one of the great reasons I had to leave Phoenix after 16 years. Everyday in July is usually around 115 degrees. I know this thread is about Florida but I just wanted to add that Summer can be real brutal on your body. I was convinced that if I stayed there for one more Summer I was gonna drop dead. I have a brother that lives in Ft. Lauderdale and as much as he loves Florida he always says how much the Summer's suck there, from the humidity.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Minus the ocean, this is one of the great reasons I had to leave Phoenix after 16 years. Everyday in July is usually around 115 degrees. I know this thread is about Florida but I just wanted to add that Summer can be real brutal on your body. I was convinced that if I stayed there for one more Summer I was gonna drop dead.
LOL!! I can totally relate! Every year I could feel more and more of my energy disappearing. We're having a beautiful summer so far here in Philly but I still can't wait for the cold air to come back!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

While I don't live in Florida, I do live in the South. So I say STAY AWAY!!!!
TOO HOT!!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For those of you who went to school in Florida, do you all know anything about FIU and or their music program. It looks like it's a beautiful campus that I may want to get some more information on!