Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Your favorite "Rattlesnake Shake"

Since the Peter Green section has been busy, I felt bad the FM Pre-Rumours section hasn't received fan support (Bob Welch notwithstanding).

On to the question at hand, I ask, which (commercially available: Video/Audio) version of 'Rattlesnake Shake' is your favourite? Here is mine: "Live in Boston Vol. 2". This maybe the best jamband jam of all time!!

2)Paris Theater 4/70
3)Boston Tea Party: the first night "Live in Boston Vol. 1"
4) Oslo Norway 11/69
5) Hugh Hefner's 'Playboy After Dark'. It's a short version, but to watch Peter's face with his sly smiles, during the performance knowing the irony that Barbie Benton and crew had no idea what the song in question was about. PRICELESS

Last edited by slipkid; 02-24-2009 at 08:37 AM..
Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Slipkid - a few years ago I sat down and listened to all the versions of Rattlesnake Shake that I had at that time, both commercially-released and bootleg:
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=14620

In the end, my two favorites were the same as yours

And I agree about watching Peter's expressions during that "Playboy After Dark" video clip!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Slipkid - a few years ago I sat down and listened to all the versions of Rattlesnake Shake that I had at that time, both commercially-released and bootleg:
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=14620

In the end, my two favorites were the same as yours

And I agree about watching Peter's expressions during that "Playboy After Dark" video clip!
Thanks for responding sharksfan. I posted this late last night and titled "You're", instead of "Your". Don't drink and type.

The reason I brought it up is that I went back and re-visited the 2/11/70 Grateful Dead Fillmore East show (second set). As everyone knows that's the famous Peter Green/Duane Allman/Greg Allman Grateful Dead jam with Dark Star-->Spanish Jam--> Turn On Your Lovelight. For some reason Owsley Stanley (the sound board engineer for the show) had Green way down in the mix, yet you can tell the rest of the band is following Green's lead, which makes it one of the most interesting GD jams I own.

However, compared to FM's jamming they really don't compare to the two guitar attack of Kirwan and Green. To prove it I went back and poured through all of my Rattlesnake Shake's, and was blown away by the difference in musicianship. I know many say the Dead directly influenced Green's desire to expand songs live onstage, yet why do they more resemble the Allman Brothers? Or, did FM influence the Allmans? For instance, about 9:30 into RS from "Live In Boston Vol. 2", that harmonized guitar riff could've been Betts and Allman.

Last edited by slipkid; 02-24-2009 at 11:39 AM..
Old 02-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's tough to pick.
I like both versions on the Live At The Boston Tea Party...and of course the original studio version...but...the one I keep going back to is the one that is on disc 2 of the Vaudeville Years set (the same performance that is on the Merely A Portmanteau boot LP).

I think its just a matter of "the first live version" I heard, so that one is pretty damned special.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
It's tough to pick.
I like both versions on the Live At The Boston Tea Party...and of course the original studio version...but...the one I keep going back to is the one that is on disc 2 of the Vaudeville Years set (the same performance that is on the Merely A Portmanteau boot LP).

I think its just a matter of "the first live version" I heard, so that one is pretty damned special.
Isn't that "Showbiz Blues", not 'Vaudeville'? It's the only commercially released version that has the entire song. That would be the same version as:

Live at the BBC (edited)
Jumping at Shadows The Blues Years(edited). It's the 4/70 Paris Theater show that was taped for the BBC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong??
Old 02-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Right, Showbiz Blues set, not Vaudville Years, my bad.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That Showbiz Blues / Merely A Portmanteau version is indeed the 4/70 Paris Theater recording.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
That Showbiz Blues / Merely A Portmanteau version is indeed the 4/70 Paris Theater recording.
Yes, it was April 9, 1970 exactly, I agree the best live version ever and I think the same for "The Green Manalishi"

Cheers,

Mario.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Over at Wolfgang's Vault, they're featuring Fleetwood Mac's 4/24/70 show from the Roundhouse Chalk Farm (London). Supposedly, Peter's last London performance with Fleetwood Mac.

Fleetwood Mac: Roundhouse Chalk Farm (London) April 24, 1970

Black Magic Woman
Before The Beginning
World In Harmony
Only You
Madison Blues
Got To Move
The Green Manalishi
Merry Go Round
Like It This Way
Coming Your Way
Stranger Blues
Tiger
Rattlesnake Shake/Underway
Albatross
Jenny, Jenny
Keep A Knockin'

I've only just started listening...first time I've heard this show. I'm surprised at the thick slap-echo on Peter's voice right out of the box on "BMW".
Old 02-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, Chili

I Have listened the gig late in the afternoon, fantastic gig, which on ce again
proves that Peter was still ok even after the Munich Trip

Mario.