Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Question about "Gold Dust Woman" ending

"Gold Dust Woman" is one of my favorite songs and my favorite version is the one where she sings "Baby, you should see me now" at the end. I watched "The Dance" and "Live In Boston" recently and noticed that she doesn't sing these lines here. Can anyone tell me when these lines got added and what inspired Stevie to do this? Thanks in advance.

Fleetwood Mac - Glendale, Arizona - 5/24/09 ♥
Fleetwood Mac - Oberhausen, Germany - 10/12/09 ♥
Old 11-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think she first started adding these lines in 2005-2006. Don't know for sure why she did it. Might be because she has quit her cocaine use...'you should see me now, I'm so much better and drug free'
Old 11-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

She was doing the "shadow" ending thing on the Say You Will Tour. I think the "Baby you should see me now" thing kind of progressed from there. She may have sung this toward the very end of the SYW tour. I'm almost positive it was sung this way on the first set of Caesar's shows in Vegas. I'm not sure what she is alluding to as she alternates that line with "You can't save me now." What could she possibly need saving from at this point in her life? Certainly she's referring to the past? Whatever it is, I love this version. The Soundstage version might be the best tweaking of this song ever.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the info!

My favorite version is the one from February 18th, 2006 in Melbourne - was the first Stevie video I watched, so I might be a little biased , but "Soundstage" is close second. I love the way she sings "You can't feel me now". What she means with "You can't save me now", I have no idea either, but the new lines are just a great addition to the song.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGirl15 View Post
"Gold Dust Woman" is one of my favorite songs and my favorite version is the one where she sings "Baby, you should see me now" at the end. I watched "The Dance" and "Live In Boston" recently and noticed that she doesn't sing these lines here. Can anyone tell me when these lines got added and what inspired Stevie to do this? Thanks in advance.
Maybe she just sings it because it sounds cool and doesn't really have a meaning.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

More recently, she also says "You can't see me now."

Yes, I like that ending too. Also, when she adds, "you can't do it. You just can't do it." When I saw her in Vegas that first time, those were the things that captured me, the performance of HSML and the new ending of GDW. First she did the ending by herself, but then as it progressed from show to show, year to year, the back up singers started coming in and saying the new words too.

Michele
Old 11-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Ledgie

I am actually not one of those "every lyric is about Lindsey" people but my first impression when I heard those lines in Vegas was that they seemed very much about him. "You can't save me now" seems like "well now it is officially over now because you are with a wife and have kids" and you can't be for me in that away anymore. Like regretfully she is giving up on him, but knowing she still holds a certain power over him. Anyone agree?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

I love the way she sings that Baby , Baby, you ought to see me now!

Stevie has many times says in order to sing the same song over and over, she has to go back to the time she wrote the song. I think perhaps she is reliving in her mind what Gold Dust Woman meant to her and remembering how frail and sickly she was on cocaine. Perhaps she is just help creating that illusion of that while she sings this song 30 years later
Old 11-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutsideTheRain View Post
I am actually not one of those "every lyric is about Lindsey" people but my first impression when I heard those lines in Vegas was that they seemed very much about him. "You can't save me now" seems like "well now it is officially over now because you are with a wife and have kids" and you can't be for me in that away anymore. Like regretfully she is giving up on him, but knowing she still holds a certain power over him. Anyone agree?
That's an interesting thought! I have never thought about that, though I'm often one of those "every lyric is about Lindsey" people.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutsideTheRain View Post

Your guess is as good as anyones. I just don't think that Stevie would use the wording for it if it were true. "You can't save me now"----Lindsey would be the one needing saving as it would mean His marriage and child custody in jeapordy if there were still "power" she held over him. She has nothing to loose. Stevie is a free woman. Lindsey is not
Old 11-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have always thought GDW was La Nicks talking to other herself, her stage persona if you will. I think LB had little to do with it. I think the expanded ending "Baby don't leave me" on the Rumours redo supports this. To me, she seemingly is begging the innocence of the off stage Stevie not to leave her, when she then would be the harder stage persona.

Sisters of the Moon, which she wrote around the time she wrote GDW has this same theme. In Sisters, La Nicks said she was scared of the stage persona and what it was turning her into.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw Stevie play once & I thought she had the energy of Wonder Woman.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I don't know what they mean, but those lyrics send shivers down my spine.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love this ending and really do hope it is in the set in 2009 with this ending. It really is such a wonderful and powerful song.
I wonder if Stevie will do the ending with Lindsey the same she did it with Waddy. That would totally send the audience into a frenzy.
I love the end lyrics and makes a powerful song even more powerful.

Last edited by SandyMac; 12-14-2008 at 10:25 PM..
Old 12-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would prefer she do the ending just as it was done on Rumours.
The wailing or primal screams she does at the ending, now that's
the way it should be done.

And while she's doing that, Lindsey could break some glass.