Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool HUGE Fleetwood Mac Update

Saw this posted on another message board (Swiped this over on MetalSludge's message board - A heavy metal related website - So take it for what it is), thought it was rather out of the blue:

* The "new album" is in fact a new compilation album that will feature several new tracks. Interestingly enough, one of the conditions for Stevie recording new Fleetwood Mac music was that Lindsey not be named primary producer. An outside collaborator, rumored to be John Shanks or Chris Lord-Alge, is being brought in to "even things up".

* The "new tour" is indeed a "farewell tour" and could last up to two years with a blowout finale being planned. The ideas and expectations for this tour are big amongst organizers with one idea being that the finale will take place at either Wembley Stadium (or Twickingham Stadium) in London, or New York City's iconic Central Park.

* The tour will kick off in the U.S. next Spring with a European tour of arenas and some stadiums to follow. The group are already being mentioned for next year's Heiniken Jammin' Festival in Italy.

* While Sheryl Crow will be participating in the recording the new Mac tunes, she will not be made a member of the band, contrary to what she announced to the public earlier this year. The first set of U.S. shows will, however, be a Fleetwood Mac/Sheryl Crow double-bill. Crow is reportedly set on opening for the group for the duration of the tour, including all overseas legs.

* A lot of money is being put into this and the band are reportedly shopping their name around to both LiveNation and AEG Live for the farewell tour, and any one-offs that will follow.

Read the rest, including where the tour will end, the not so surprise opening act and more at http://artemisinside.blogspot.com

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 07-11-2008 at 05:15 PM..
Old 07-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Senior Ledgie

Very, VERY interesting...

Couple of points of interest for me:

1.) The article claims that FM is heading back into the studio to record new material in October. Lindsey has already announced a full fledged solo tour that month. Without any time off, looks like he would be jumping from tour straight into FM studio sessions if this is indeed true.

2.) A Sheryl Crow/FM double bill is not what I really would have hoped for. Not that I'm against her music, I just don't care for it. And I know a lot of FM fans wouldn't appreciate her as an opening act since she would more than likely not be an "opener". If she plays a 1-1/2 hour set that leaves little time for the 2+ hour FM set we would all wish to see! But who knows...

3.) Does Steve really hate Lindsey's production abilities or what???
Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodguy79 View Post

Couple of points of interest for me:

1.) The article claims that FM is heading back into the studio to record new material in October. Lindsey has already announced a full fledged solo tour that month. Without any time off, looks like he would be jumping from tour straight into FM studio sessions if this is indeed true.
That is what I was thinking, maybe he made some concessions to get GOS released and one of those may be new recordings.

Quote:
2.) A Sheryl Crow/FM double bill is not what I really would have hoped for. Not that I'm against her music, I just don't care for it. And I know a lot of FM fans wouldn't appreciate her as an opening act since she would more than likely not be an "opener". If she plays a 1-1/2 hour set that leaves little time for the 2+ hour FM set we would all wish to see! But who knows...
I'm not, nor will I ever be a fan of Sheryl Crow. But this double bill makes sense in a reality of musical styles.

Quote:
If that article is true (Who knows ) then maybe she does indeed hate his style.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But if the tour lasts up to two years, that means Stevie will have to politely assuage the impatient demands of the producers who will soon be clamoring to develop her Rhiannon project!!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

No. It didn't say he wouldn't be producing at all...just not the sole producer.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for posting that. I need to start saving up some serious cash.
A compilation album??? (sigh), I was hoping for more, but I guess what can you expect on such a short turn around time on this? No wonder Stevie is dipping into the vault to find some lost gems. Maybe we all will be surprised at the result.

What ever happened to all of that supposed footage that Lindsey has shot over the years? Maybe that will be part of a compilation farewell package. If they do this right, they could go out on a serious high (pun intended)

Hmmm, Stevie insisting that Lindsey not be the primary producer... interesting, but understandable given their history.
I would prefer John Shanks to produce.

Double bill or opening with Sheryl Crow, ehh, but I guess it is way better than Sheryl on stage with FM as part of FM
(shuddering). I guess if she wants to be with the band so bad, this is the best way to do it and not ruin the FM legacy.

(Now this should be interesting).
Old 07-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
No. It didn't say he wouldn't be producing at all...just not the sole producer.
Meaning he can do whatever he wants but he'll never be free to ruin the likes of Silver Girl or Smile At You again.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, that's quite a bit of news! Exciting!

I'm just thinking about what a final concert in Central Park would be like. On a warm summer night. On the Great Lawn. Probably cost insane amounts of money, but that could be really magical. I hope it happens!

Also, while I'm curious what a compilation can consist of at this point that hasn't already been done ten times, I'm kind of pleased they aren't putting themselves through a whole album process. Partially because the wear and tear can't be fun at this point, partially because I want Stevie to still like the band enough to actually BE on this tour and ok, also if there aren't that many new songs, that means Lindsey probably won't have to give over anything he wouldn't want to. Though the proximity of that to his solo album pretty much eliminates the possibility of that for the first time ever, doesn't it?

Last edited by bucklind17; 07-10-2008 at 09:34 PM..
Old 07-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is very exciting news!!! Funny though how Stevie nicely explained to Sheryl how FM is so encompassing that you can't take a baby on the road with you if you are in FM.
I guess if you're the opening act, no problem man. I agree that FM doesn't need an opening act. I'd love to see them come onstage at 7:30 and rock the arena till 10:30. If Bruce Springsteen can do a three hour show then why can't Linds and Steve pull it off too? They certainly have enough material.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Meaning he can do whatever he wants but he'll never be free to ruin the likes of Silver Girl or Smile At You again.
Oh, Lord...it wasn't LB that ruined Silver Girl!! That one could have stayed in the vault...
Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
This is very exciting news!!! Funny though how Stevie nicely explained to Sheryl how FM is so encompassing that you can't take a baby on the road with you if you are in FM.
I guess if you're the opening act, no problem man. I agree that FM doesn't need an opening act. I'd love to see them come onstage at 7:30 and rock the arena till 10:30. If Bruce Springsteen can do a three hour show then why can't Linds and Steve pull it off too? They certainly have enough material.
LOL! I wish for Stevie's "Farewell Interview" we could all call her on the carpet... I mean, I would seriously LOVE to hear her admit she's lying. Can you imagine her answering it with "I lied." Just once that would be so grand.

Anyway, I don't know if her voice would withstand the strain of a 3 hour show...it would be awesome if they could do that and just stretch out the dates so she could rest her vocal chords.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
1.) The article claims that FM is heading back into the studio to record new material in October. Lindsey has already announced a full fledged solo tour that month.
If he's not producing or arranging Stevie's material (which seems like a possibility), then the "FM" that's "heading back into the studio" in October would be Stevie, Mick, John, & Hired-Out Producer. Lindsey can do his **** later.

Quote:
2.) A Sheryl Crow/FM double bill is not what I really would have hoped for.
The best idea for opening act I've heard yet is a big panel of us ledgies -- dozens of us -- onstage & wired for sound. We take questions from the audience, followed by intense debate & polemics. We'd sure have everyone's attention, I bet.

Quote:
I guess she doesn't want him to arrange or orchestrate her stuff. I assume she doesn't mind if he still plays a little guitar on it, although maybe she doesn't dig that idea, either.

To reiterate my point from several weeks ago, there's no producer on Earth who is going to prevent Lindsey from arranging or orchestrating (the production nuts & bolts) his own material. So in that context, it's moot. The only control an outsider would have over Lindsey's material would be final say over which of his songs gets kept on the album -- & that would be true only if it were some guy the label appoints to the task, not Stevie's appointment.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
If he's not producing or arranging Stevie's material (which seems like a possibility), then the "FM" that's "heading back into the studio" in October would be Stevie, Mick, John, & Hired-Out Producer. Lindsey can do his **** later.
Well, technically, he could have already done it. It could be what didn't go on GOS - again. Ha.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
Saw this posted on another message board (A heavy metal related website), thought it was rather out of the blue:

* The "new album" is in fact a new compilation album that will feature several new tracks. Interestingly enough, one of the conditions for Stevie recording new Fleetwood Mac music was that Lindsey not be named primary producer. An outside collaborator, rumored to be John Shanks or Chris Lord-Alge, is being brought in to "even things up".
Makes perfect sense to me. I actually welcome and relish this condition. Lindsey did not produce the 'White Album', Rumours, and Tusk(special thanks to Lindsey). Probably their most loved and successful albums ever. I say give it a twirl! I mean whirl!

Quote:
* The "new tour" is indeed a "farewell tour" and could last up to two years with a blowout finale being planned. The ideas and expectations for this tour are big amongst organizers with one idea being that the finale will take place at either Wembley Stadium (or Twickingham Stadium) in London, or New York City's iconic Central Park.
What's going to make it any bigger than the SYW Tour? The fact that it's labeled as their farewell tour? So many bands have had farewell tours that aren't. I don't think that's going to be a big selling point. Now bring on some past members of FM like Christine, Peter, and Bob and we're talking MAJOR!!!!

Quote:
* Sheryl Crow will be participating in the recording the new Mac tunes. The first set of U.S. shows will, however, be a Fleetwood Mac/Sheryl Crow double-bill. Crow is reportedly set on opening for the group for the duration of the tour, including all overseas legs.
This doesn't excite me in the least. Sheryl is a formidable musician, but I don't get the FM connection at all.

Last edited by jwd; 07-10-2008 at 10:59 PM..
Old 07-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
The ideas and expectations for this tour are big amongst organizers with one idea being that the finale will take place at either Wembley Stadium (or Twickingham Stadium) in London, or New York City's iconic Central Park.
With a finale in London, I've got one thing on my mind. Well, one woman on my mind . . . would be a perfect finale.

Michele