Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Christine wrote with Dennis

I'm sure there is many a chimney excited about this little number.
however....
Taylor Hawkins, drummer for the Foo Fighters and a life-long fan of Dennis, contributes a newly-recorded vocal for the track "Holy Man" which closes out the package as the last track on the second disc.

Someone please explain this to me.

DENNIS WILSON - Pacific Ocean Blue: Legacy Edition 2-CD (Epic/Caribou/Legacy)

Dennis Wilson’s 1977 solo album, the first solo album by any Beach Boy, will return to circulation on the occasion of its 30th anniversary, and the 25th anniversary of its creator’s untimely death in 1983, at age 39. Dennis -- the Beach Boys' surfer, drummer and free spirit -- emerged from the shadow of his older brother, pop genius Brian Wilson, and shocked the industry with a sound and style unlike any other. Included on Pacific Ocean Blue: Legacy Edition is the original album in a gorgeous newly mastered form, plus the very best of Wilson's unreleased solo work, including tracks from his long lost Bambu project. Included among the collaborators on the original sessions are Beach Boys Carl Wilson, Bruce Johnson, Billy Hinsche and Ricky Fataar; background vocalists Karen Lamm-Wilson, Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac, Gerry Beckley and Dewey Bunnell of America; and Dean Torrence of Jan & Dean. Taylor Hawkins, drummer for the Foo Fighters and a life-long fan of Dennis, contributes a newly-recorded vocal for the track "Holy Man" which closes out the package as the last track on the second disc. Fans who have long clamored for a proper Dennis Wilson CD release will delight in this moment, while newcomers will be amazed as they discover the musical treasure within one of rock’s true cult classics.

http://dreamchimney.com/oftheday/highly_questionable
Old 04-17-2008, 03:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Was Dennis' album released in 77? I thought it was later than that because Christine and Dennis met when FM were recording Tusk which would have been 78/79.

Didn't Brian Wilson have a crush on Christine at that time?

Gail

PS Thanks for posting this
Old 04-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Pacific Ocean Blue was released in 1977. Chris & Dennis met in 1978. She isn't on Pacific Ocean Blue. In one of her ITM interviews, she mentioned that this was one of her favorite albums. This re-release will include a bonus CD, which includes tracks that Dennis had recorded for a second solo album. I had suspected Chris might possibly be on some of these extra tracks, since I had read that Chris & Dennis had worked on some music after they met. "Love Surrounds Me" with Chris on backing vocals eventually went on a Beach Boys album. This track was originally one of those tracks that Dennis worked on for that second solo album.

Someone was nice enough to transfer Pacific Ocean Blue from vinyl to audio tape for me. The quality of my tape is not very good, so I'll definitely be getting this new re-release. Pacfic Ocean Blue is a cult classic. I believe there was a very limited CD release some years ago. I think that original CD release goes for several hundred dollars on eBay.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:35 AM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
Pacific Ocean Blue was released in 1977. Chris & Dennis met in 1978. She isn't on Pacific Ocean Blue. In one of her ITM interviews, she mentioned that this was one of her favorite albums. This re-release will include a bonus CD, which includes tracks that Dennis had recorded for a second solo album. I had suspected Chris might possibly be on some of these extra tracks, since I had read that Chris & Dennis had worked on some music after they met. "Love Surrounds Me" with Chris on backing vocals eventually went on a Beach Boys album. This track was originally one of those tracks that Dennis worked on for that second solo album.

Someone was nice enough to transfer Pacific Ocean Blue from vinyl to audio tape for me. The quality of my tape is not very good, so I'll definitely be getting this new re-release. Pacfic Ocean Blue is a cult classic. I believe there was a very limited CD release some years ago. I think that original CD release goes for several hundred dollars on eBay.
thanks - that's cleared that up for me

Gail
Old 04-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

I always thought it was called Bamboo but apparently it's just been discovered that it was Bambu all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
"Love Surrounds Me" with Chris on backing vocals eventually went on a Beach Boys album. This track was originally one of those tracks that Dennis worked on for that second solo album.
The version of Love Surrounds Me that's on the Bamboo bootleg (and which probably will be on this new reissue) is pretty much the same as the one that the Beach Boys released, there's just some additional noisy effects on top. I certainly hope that Chris' contributions won't be limited to that track.

Great to get to actually buy this - my copy of the CD still gets played quite often.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 AM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am so excited for this release. I don't even remember how, but somehow I ended up with a two CD set that included POB, Bamboo demos and other random Dennis penned/sung Beach Boy songs. Truly an underrated songwriter, some of his songs are among my favorites ("Rainbows", "River Song", "Only With You" which is apparently sung by Dennis on this release, not by Carl as is the version on Holland) AND he wrote my most favorite Beach Boys song "Forever" as well! It'll be interesting to hear if Christine is on any of the extra tracks on this release, I've listened to the Bamboo demos I have quite a few times, but I never really heard her (just on "Love Surrounds Me", which I love!). It'll be fun if her voice pops up in there.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Hold me was written about Dennis. Wasn't it?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I think Hold me was written about Dennis. Wasn't it?
I think so. Mick kind of said it was in his book.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
It'll be interesting to hear if Christine is on any of the extra tracks on this release, I've listened to the Bamboo demos I have quite a few times, but I never really heard her (just on "Love Surrounds Me", which I love!). It'll be fun if her voice pops up in there.
A while back (talking years, now), when the original Napster was in full glory, I managed to download a LOT of the Bamboo sessions tracks. I compared "Love Surrounds Me" with the version that was officially released on The Beach Boys' Light Album. Christine's voice actually is more prominent on the Beach Boys track.

Just a little trivia point, also on the Light Album is the Carl written, Dennis sung version of "Angel Come Home" which was covered by Mick Fleetwood's Zoo.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The latest news on Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue reissue

Dennis Wilson's lost classic, 'Pacific Ocean Blue', as we previously reported, is set for re-release soon... well, now we have more details like, when it's released and what the hell is on it.

Disc one has the original 12-song album plus 4 previously unreleased bonus tracks with disc two featuring 17 tracks (all previously unreleased but one) from sessions for the never completed 'Bambu' follow-up album. Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters adds a newly-recorded vocal to the last track on disc two, the previously unreleased 'Holy Man'.

Original all-star collaborators include Beach Boys Carl Wilson, Bruce Johnston, Billy Hinsche and Ricky Fataar; background vocalists Karen Lamm-Wilson, Christine McVie of Fleeetwood Mac, Gerry Beckley and Dewey Bunnell of America, Dean Torrence of Jan & Dean, and more Full-color booklet includes previously-unseen photos and extensive essays by a variety of Beach Boys scholars.

“Everything that I am or will ever be is in the music. If you want to know me, just listen.” – Dennis Wilson

Lost in the surf Beach Boy Dennis Wilson’s much sought-after '77 solo LP will return to circulation on the occasion of its 30th anniversary, and the 25th anniversary of Wilson’s untimely death in 1983, at age 39. The double CD, Pacific Ocean Blue - Legacy Edition - will arrive on the shelves on June 17th on Caribou/Epic/Legacy (a division of SonyBMG). Better yet, a vinyl edition of the LP will also be released at the same time, on Sundazed.

In 1977, Dennis Wilson’s Pacific Ocean Blue became the first solo LP to be released by a member of the Beach Boys. Dennis, the band’s surfer, drummer and free spirit, emerged from the shadow of his older brother, pop genius Brian Wilson, and shocked the industry with a sound and style unlike any other. Over thirty years later Pacific Ocean Blue remains arguably the greatest solo work by a Wilson. Well, SMiLE was pretty good too...

“In all those years since Pacific Ocean Blue became a rare gem, I have been eager to make it more widely available,” says James William Guercio, producer and owner of Caribou Records, who served then and now as executive producer. “The music that caught the ear of critics and fans in 1977 has fallen from popular conscious*ness in the last two decades, and it has long been due this incredible treatment. The devotion that the Legacy Recordings crew has shown to both the official album and the huge number of unreleased tracks is a testa*ment to the strength of Dennis’ musical genius.”

Dozens of musicians and singers collaborated on the Pacific Ocean Blue and Bambu sessions, which took place at numerous studios around Los Angeles, Seattle, and Miami. In addition to Dennis Wilson on vocals, drums, percussion, keyboards, and harmonica, there were his wife Karen Lamm-Wilson; Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys on guitar and vocal backgrounds; latter day Beach Boys members Billy Hinsche and Bruce Johnston (vocal backgrounds) and Ricky Fataar (drums); Beach Boys engineer Earle Mankey (guitar); and many West Coast session greats. A host of background vocalists included Christine McVie of Fleeetwood Mac, Gerry Beckley and Dewey Bunnell of America, Dean Torrence of Jan & Dean, and more.

The Dry Stuff

Disc one of Pacific Ocean Blue - Legacy Edition will comprise the original 12-song LP sequence: 1. River Song • 2. What’s Wrong • 3. Moonshine • 4. Friday Night • 5. Dreamer • 6. Thoughts of You • 7. Time • 8. You and I • 9. Pacific Ocean Blue • 10. Farewell My Friend • 11. Rainbows • 12. End of the Show.

In addition, disc one will contain four previously unreleased bonus tracks: 13. Tug Of Love • 14. Only With You • 15. Holy Man (instrumental) • 16. Mexico.

Of special note, “Only With You” was never known to exist – Dennis co-wrote the song with fellow Beach Boy Mike Love, for the group’s 1973 Holland album, with Carl Wilson singing lead.

Disc two of Pacific Ocean Blue - Legacy Edition will be a godsend to Dennis Wilson and Beach Boys devotees around the world – especially those who have been aware of the Bambu album he had hoped to release as a follow-up, but never completed. The tape archive is the source for 17 bonus tracks, all previously unreleased except for one (“All Alone”), from the original Pacific Ocean Blue and Bambu sessions. Bambu has been referenced as “Bamboo” in numerous articles on Dennis and the Beach Boys, but paperwork that accompanied the sessions now reveals the artist always intended for the album to be titled Bambu.

Now titled Bambu (The Caribou Sessions), disc two comprises: 1. Under The Moonlight • 2. It’s Not Too Late • 3. School Girl • 4. Love Remember Me • 5. Love Surrounds Me • 6. Wild Situation • 7. Common • 8. Are You Real • 9. He’s A Bum • 10. Cocktails • 11. I Love You • 12. Constant Companion • 13. Time For Bed • 14. Album Tag Song • 15. All Alone (originally issued on the Capitol Records Soundtrack Endless Harmony) • 16. Piano Variations on Thoughts of You • Bonus Track: 17. Holy Man, with new vocal by Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters.

Liner notes for the reissue have been written by several Beach Boys scholars, starting with Ben Edmonds, a Mojo contrib*uting editor who has written a 2,500-word essay entitled “Love Remember Me: Dennis Wilson’s Dreams Delivered.” A second essay, “Dennis Wilson: Chronology of a Solo Artist,” has been newly-penned by Jon Stebbins (author of Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy, 2000) and David Beard (editor of the Beach Boys fanzine, Endless Summer Quarterly). A final essay by David Leaf will appear as a PDF embedded on the Pacific Ocean Blue disc.

Leaf is the author of the Brian Wilson biography Beach Boys and the California Myth (1978), and the follow-up, Beach Boys: Spirit of America (1985). He has annotated nearly 30 Beach Boys-related reissue projects, including the Good Vibrations: Thirty Years Of the Beach Boys (1993) and The Pet Sounds Sessions (1997) box sets, which he co-produced. Leaf is also an award-winning television producer, director and writer of more than 50 entertainment-related biographies and specials, including An-All Star Tribute To Brian Wilson (TNT, 2001); Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson and the Story of SMiLE (Showtime, 2004); and The U.S. vs. John Lennon (Lionsgate/VH1, 2006).

The full-color booklet in the album will feature extensive discographic information and rare photos. Among these are the images taken for the original LP package by photo*grapher and lifelong friend Dean Torrence (of Jan & Dean), thought for decades to be lost but later uncovered in the Sony Music archives. Long considered one of the Rosetta Stones of Beach Boys iconography, Dennis Wilson’s Pacific Ocean Blue has been a collectors item virtually since the day it was released. The LP edition, although it sold as well as any Beach Boys title at the end of the '70s, was out-of-print in the catalog by the early ’80s, when the group’s Caribou Records deal expired with Epic Records (distributed by CBS). The first generation CD transfer of 1991 (non-eq’d) has similarly been out-of-print for over a decade.

What more do you need to know? Go stalk!

http://www.electricroulette.com/2008...test-news.html
Old 05-16-2008, 10:41 PM

thank u viva!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Re: Dennis tracks from POB/Bambu period not on the POB reissue...?
« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:25:09 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a thought (comment) that comes to mind awaiting for the legacy recordings....

I hope someone is planning on sending a copy to Christine McVie...

If there are more archive Dennis recordings in the future, she is one person who might be in possession of tapes that would help complete the puzzle of post-Bambu recordings...

I know that it's been quoted that she has said that the songs they were working on together were way too personal to ever be released, but she may have tapes of older songs that Dennis was still working on that may be of a less personal nature ... and as the years have gone by her stance on everything may have changed....

with Dennis by these years (79+) no longer having Brother studios to work in, some of the tapes could be anywhere... including Christine....

just a thought

Doc Smiley

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.p....html#msg89321
Old 05-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This Observer article talks about how the making of Pacific Ocean Blue came about.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/print...111639,00.html

It only mentions Christine to suggest that FM introduced Dennis to cocaine. I hardly think that's the case.

Quote:
His drinking became excessive and, through an ill-fated relationship with Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie, he entered the cocaine blizzard that was the making of Tusk and never really came out. The last time Sterling Smith saw Dennis he was drinking with a group of hobos.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As it happens the BBC have done a radio programme about Bambu which was broadcast today

If anyone is interested in listening click on the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainf...o4_promo.shtml

Scroll down to Lost Albums and there you go

Gail

PS I think you need Real Player to hear it
Old 06-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Double-disc reissue captures a Beach Boy's promise and pain

By Geoff Edgers
Globe Staff / June 17, 2008

For Beach Boys people - and you know who you are - "Pacific Ocean Blue" occupies a special place. Dennis Wilson's lone solo record was a revelation when it came out in 1977, a critical triumph for a man always overshadowed by brothers Brian and Carl. In the 1990s, as the CD reissue quickly fell out of print, "POB" became something more: a pricey collector's item selling for as much as $200 on eBay.

more stories like this
Complete list of summer events
Queen resurrect Beach Boy
Aurilia, Lewis help Giants end 6-game losing skid
Today Legacy Recordings offers a fitting restoration, which adds a second disc of tracks largely from the late musician's aborted follow-up, "Bambu." This isn't quite like finally getting "Smile," the aborted teenage symphony Brian Wilson took nearly 40 years to complete. But "Bambu" shows that Wilson, with a little encouragement and a lot less "medicine," could have completed the transformation from goofy heartthrob into accomplished composer.

Make no mistake: The Dennis Wilson story is ultimately a tragedy, of a shaggy-haired teen idol whose steady decline left him a sweaty, swollen-faced phantom. (Wilson drowned in 1983, at 39, while diving off a friend's boat in Marina del Rey.)

The double-disc reissue captures him just before the collapse, writing steadily and surrounded by a group of crack musicians that included legendary drummer Hal Blaine and longtime Beach Boy sidemen Ed Carter and Billy Hinsche.

If you have never heard Wilson's voice, it can be startling. Brian and Carl sang like angels; Dennis was Joe Cocker on unfiltered Camels. He rarely approached the microphone during the Beach Boys 1960s commercial peak. In the 1970s, as Brian's mental illness kept him out of the studio, Dennis became an important voice. He sang lead on "My Diane," "Angel Come Home," and "Mona." His songs were often the highlights of the spottiest of records.

"POB," written by Wilson with a series of collaborators, captures the many sides of the singer. He was both a restless playboy and a desperate, quiet soul. (Remember, he reportedly smashed onetime girlfriend Christine McVie's Rolls Royce over and over, but also had a heart-shaped garden built for the Fleetwood Mac singer.) Wilson mines that conflict on a series of majestic ballads like "Time," on which, at first backed only by a piano, his moaning, aching voice builds into a breathtaking, horn-and-guitar driven finale.

The album manages to co-opt elements of the Beach Boys - soaring harmonies, tack piano, orchestral arrangements - yet doesn't particularly sound as if it were recorded by the group. There's boogie-woogie ("What's Wrong"), the kind of sweeping, raw ballads that made the ladies swoon ("Farewell My Friend"), and even a choir thrown over a guitar-driven rocker ("River Song").

There are glimmers of doo-wop and classic blues, and everything filtered through Wilson's heartbroken, lonely rasp. You can feel the aching inside the singer's voice and the darkness that increasingly washed over as the sun set on what was supposed to be an endless summer.

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/cd_re...mise_and_pain/