Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default UK Classic Rock Article

While on my lunch today, I noticed the latest edition of Classic Rock Magazine has a nice 6 page article on Rumours era FM as part of their 'drugs issue' Haven't had time to read it but there are some nice photos - none I have never seen but nice to see in a glossy. Thought you might like to know!
Old 08-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentthing View Post
While on my lunch today, I noticed the latest edition of Classic Rock Magazine has a nice 6 page article on Rumours era FM as part of their 'drugs issue' Haven't had time to read it but there are some nice photos - none I have never seen but nice to see in a glossy. Thought you might like to know!
cool...thanks for the info!

Is this available in the US? If not, can you offer a scan?

Old 08-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the heads up. I shall buy a copy tonight if I can!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I shall buy a copy tonight if I can!
i hope you don't scan and share with the rest of us. i would hate that
Old 08-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
Hey carrie, it's Trackaghost. You know, the one who always keeps everything for herself.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Hey carrie, it's Trackaghost. You know, the one who always keeps everything for herself.

she's so selfish!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

There´s also a Stevie Nicks article on september issue of Mojo magazine.
Haven´t had the time to read it yet,just glanced over.
This bit caught my eye,
"I know for a fact i was simply hired as extra baggage......
I´m sure there there were times when i´m flying around the stage in my gossamer chiffon where she had to think to herself,wow,what´s this? Fairy school?
But never once did she make me feel like that,never one comment to the effect of "i could really have done without you" "

I had never seen a mention of Christine and Stevie having less than very good relationship,
until on this board.
I find it very sad to think that fans of Fleetwood mac would try to make it look like there was some kind of bad blood between them.
When they´ve said they were sanctuaries to each other during the hard times.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post

Just for that I'm gonna scan it and post it tonight, so there!

littlewolf I posted the Stevie Mojo article on the Stevie board a couple of weeks back, if you want to read

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=33485

Last edited by trackaghost; 08-24-2007 at 07:18 PM..
Old 08-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love that Fleetwood Mac are still being acknoweleged in the current press. However, the sad irony is that all of it is a rehash of situations that took place 30 years ago! I wish they would do more to, at least, appear to be revelant in the present day. Lindsey being the exception, they have slipped into th realm of an oldie act. Everything identitified with them are the same old stories. Granted, they are old, but even the ancient Rolling Stones still progress and make new music at a prodigious pace. They also have a long, sordid history. But you just don't see it being pandered to over and over. What happened to the concepts of inspiration, reinvention or just moving on?

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-23-2007 at 09:54 AM..
Old 08-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I love that Fleetwood Mac are still being acknoweleged in the current press. However, the sad irony is that all of it is a rehash of situations that took place 30 years ago! I wish they would do more to, at least, appear to be revelant in the present day. Lindsey being the exception, they have slipped into th realm of an oldie act. Everything identitified with them are the same old stories. Granted, they are old, but even the ancient Rolling Stones still progress and make new music at a prodigious pace. They also have a long, sordid history. But you just don't see it being pandered to over and over. What happened to the concepts of inspiration, reinvention or just moving on?
i don't think they care anymore. if they were interested in reinvention, they wouldn't have trotted out the old stevie/lindsey soap opera for the SYW tour. they're going to squeeze every last penny out of that breakup.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
There´s also a Stevie Nicks article on september issue of Mojo magazine.
Haven´t had the time to read it yet,just glanced over.
This bit caught my eye,
"I know for a fact i was simply hired as extra baggage......
I´m sure there there were times when i´m flying around the stage in my gossamer chiffon where she had to think to herself,wow,what´s this? Fairy school?
But never once did she make me feel like that,never one comment to the effect of "i could really have done without you" "
That was one of the parts that Sylvie Simmons lifted from her earlier interview with Stevie. Stevie actually said that back in '81 for the "Gates of Elmo" print interview.

Quote:
I had never seen a mention of Christine and Stevie having less than very good relationship, until on this board.
I find it very sad to think that fans of Fleetwood mac would try to make it look like there was some kind of bad blood between them.
When they´ve said they were sanctuaries to each other during the hard times.
Yeah, but to be fair to the fans, Chris herself has made some like observations over the years. A long time ago, she told a reporter that she & Stevie hung out together a lot in the '70s, but after that didn't see each other much because they lived two different lifestyles or something. Chris said she always loved Stevie's sense of humor, but that lately (i.e., "lately" back then in the '80s) Stevie seemed to Chris to be taking herself too seriously.

It seems the two of them grew apart as Stevie's star rose as a solo performer. It seems understandable to me: When I think of the other members of FM, I can't think of many people who associated with them or befriended them -- you know, a few recognizable names & faces. But in Stevie's case, we fans can list literally dozens of people in her ever-expanding circle. (Mick is the only one from Fleetwood Mac whom I ever considered to be part of that circle.)
Old 08-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 08-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love you, Sharona. That first page looks awesome.

edit: Managed to get some reading done...

Carol Ann Harris: "The mood in the room would change from light to dark whenever they were together. They sheer tension betweem them was overwhelming; it literally stopped people in their tracks. They could say the most mean and hurtful things to each other. Not because they meant it, because I don’t think they really did, but just because they wanted to cut the other one down. The big thing, though, was that Lindsey still loved Stevie. I know he did. Through all the time he was with me, he never stopped loving her. No matter how insane she made him, I don’t think he was over the fact that they weren’t a couple anymore. He blamed himself for their break-up, and I think she blamed herself as well. They had that in common, although it was an unspoken bond between them.”

Didn't she just spend an entire book talking about how Lindsey didn't give a crap's ass about Stevie anymore after their break-up?

Last edited by danax6; 08-23-2007 at 05:59 PM..
Old 08-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
I love you, Sharona. That first page looks awesome.
Thanks for posting it, Sharon. You're the cool breezes that blow.

Quote:
Managed to get some reading done...

Carol Ann Harris: "The mood in the room would change from light to dark whenever they were together. They sheer tension betweem them was overwhelming; it literally stopped people in their tracks. They could say the most mean and hurtful things to each other. Not because they meant it, because I don’t think they really did, but just because they wanted to cut the other one down. The big thing, though, was that Lindsey still loved Stevie. I know he did. Through all the time he was with me, he never stopped loving her. No matter how insane she made him, I don’t think he was over the fact that they weren’t a couple anymore. He blamed himself for their break-up, and I think she blamed herself as well. They had that in common, although it was an unspoken bond between them.”

Didn't she just spend an entire book talking about how Lindsey didn't give a crap's ass about Stevie anymore after their break-up?
I know, it's puzzling. This article is big & long & juicy .. & er ... that always makes for a great article. But the trouble with combining all these mini-bits of old articles instead of interviewing new is that you wind up with a bunch of contradictory data. Does the pullout quote at the top ("I don't know how to tell you this, but I just don't hear a hit") appear in the story somewhere? Ken says he played the Rumours mixes for a friend at a Christmas party, so by that time Go Your Own Way was already released to radio. But the friend still said, "I don't hear a hit"? Go Your Own Way was already a hit.

???

"Originally, the band planned to be at the Record Plant for three months. They ended up staying for the best part of a year" (p46). According to Mick's book & other accounts, the band stayed in Sausalito for only eight or nine weeks, & then returned to L.A. to finish recording & mixing (also doing some recording in Miami during a short break in their '76 tour).

???

"She went to the piano & just knocked us right out." The story about how Dreams was first received has apparently changed over the years. Back in 1980/81, Stevie said in radio interviews that when she first played it for the band in the studio, "They weren't nuts about it," & Lindsey had to tell them that he could make something really cool out of it. Now the story is that they all loved it on first hearing. I'll believe either one or the other, but how both?

"When Nicks sat down at the piano to sing a guide vocal (for Dreams), unbeknown to her Caillat hit the RECORD button. He nailed a keeper in one take." That matches what Stevie said in 1980: The vocal on the album is a ref vocal, done when she had a little bit of a cold, & that's what the band kept.

According to the album liner notes, Chris didn't record Songbird at Berkeley Community Theatre but at Zellerbach. They tried the former first but couldn't get it booked or something.

???

About Gold Dust Woman, Stevie says: "The song is definitely about cocaine. I couldn't believe what I had let myself become. I was the Gold Dust Woman." So was Stevie a heavy user already in 1976 before the summer tour?

???

"Go Your Own Way started out when Buckingham & Richard Dashut were driving to the studio & they heard a Rolling Stones song on the radio. ... So that song was built from the ground up, from the drums, to the guitar, to the words." But the band started playing that song late in 1975 on tour. What gives?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for posting that article, trackaghost. There were some interesting comments from Carol Ann Harris in it, along with more comments from Ken as he watched the interactions of the whole band. Anyhow, thank you for putting it up.