Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Buckingham's kids temper his career

Buckingham's kids temper his career
Tuesday, March 27, 2007BY KIRA L. SCHLECHTEROf The Patriot-News
http://www.pennlive.com/entertainmen...580.xml&coll=1

Fleetwood Mac guitarist-singer-songwriter and solo artist Lindsey Buckingham became a first-time parent at age 48, an experience he has said profoundly affected him, not just personally but musically.

He spoke in a phone interview about the differences between raising son Will, 8, and daughters Leelee, 6, and Stella, 2, with wife Kristen Messner.

"I think girls are easier, which is what they say, and maybe that's just from a father's perspective," Buckingham said. "For a father, the girls, even a very, very young age, they just want you to be Dad. And there is that male-female dynamic that comes into it."

With his son, Buckingham says he's more cautious in some ways.

"When Will and Leelee were somewhat younger, they came out and saw Fleetwood Mac shows for a while," he said. "So they saw Dad playing in arenas and as Will said, 'Hey, I saw Dad showing off for all these people' -- which is about right. [So] I don't want to influence him too much in that way."

His greatest challenge, he says, is balancing the "self-involvement" it takes to be a musician with his equally intense desire to be fully involved in his children's lives.

"I'm not one of those dads who's going to go out and coach baseball," he admitted. "I mean, I go to the games, I do all of that stuff. But I just have to try to be 'Dad' and not 'Dad the musician,' and that's something I'm learning.

"It's actually pulling things out of me that I forgot I was from a long time ago. I really am forced to look at myself more and hold my son up as a mirror to myself and vice versa than with the girls, at least right now. And at 8, he's just going to start needing his dad more -- I hope anyway," he said.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that is the most I have ever heard him talk about his kids.

So great!! Thanks for posting!!

Old 03-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

What a sweet article, thanks for posting it!!! Lindsey is undoubtedly a wonderful father to his children. He's such a kind and warm-hearted man..

What's kind of strange tho...he didn't mention Kristen once, I know the piece was about the Lindsey/kids dynamic, but he never speaks about how great a mother she is or the like. I can't help but feel there isn't a any deep connection between Linds and K based on what Lindsey has to say in many interviews and articles. His deeply loves his children, but I feel he "has a wife", you know, not that he is with his soul mate. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchen View Post
What a sweet article, thanks for posting it!!! Lindsey is undoubtedly a wonderful father to his children. He's such a kind and warm-hearted man..

What's kind of strange tho...he didn't mention Kristen once, I know the piece was about the Lindsey/kids dynamic, but he never speaks about how great a mother she is or the like. I can't help but feel there isn't a any deep connection between Linds and K based on what Lindsey has to say in many interviews and articles. His deeply loves his children, but I feel he "has a wife", you know, not that he is with his soul mate. Just my thoughts.
I agree. I've always found it odd that he has little to say about his wife in interviews. He always mentions how much he "loves his children." I always thought, "What about Kristen?" He has written songs about her on Under the Skin. They're sweet, but don't really talking about a "real" connection, true love, or soulmate. You usually can tell a lot about what Lindsey thinks or feel from his music, and he admits that this album cuts close to the bone. If that is true, I think he likes her, but he loves his children.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustwoman77 View Post
I agree. I've always found it odd that he has little to say about his wife in interviews. He always mentions how much he "loves his children." I always thought, "What about Kristen?" He has written songs about her on Under the Skin. They're sweet, but don't really talking about a "real" connection, true love, or soulmate. You usually can tell a lot about what Lindsey thinks or feel from his music, and he admits that this album cuts close to the bone. If that is true, I think he likes her, but he loves his children.
Loving parents talk alot about their kids, not alot eachother. Fact of life.

Can be dangerous though....

Old 03-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Loving parents talk alot about their kids, not alot eachother.
Tom Cruise would beg to differ.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Ha!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustwoman77 View Post
If that is true, I think he likes her, but he loves his children.
SWM, attractive, wealthy rock star, seeks tolerable, attractive SWF to mother multiple children. Poets, priestesses, and other wealthy rock stars need not apply.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
SWM, attractive, wealthy rock star, seeks tolerable, attractive SWF to mother multiple children. Poets, priestesses, and other wealthy rock stars need not apply.
Brilliant.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Billo

Heh, good try ladies, but he's taken