Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Supernova concert review

Not so Super
posted by JimAbbott on Jan 18, 2007 10:29:11 AM

Lukas Rossi, the lead singer of Rock Star Supernova, is not a rock star, but he played one on TV.

Rossi and his reality-show rock band are now venturing into reality, which is different from reality TV, with a headlining tour that stopped Wednesday at Hard Rock Live. The package also includes other fledgling "stars" that competed on the CBS series.

I never watched this TV show, because one reality (my own) is enough. On Wednesday, it was obvious that the prime-time back-story was essential to appreciating these otherwise average performances.

Folks around me were giddy with anticipation about seeing opening-act Dilana and kept chattering about injustices done to her by some other woman named Storm. I was hopelessly out of the loop.

The sold-out crowd cheered wildly for Australian rocker Toby Rand, who needed no introduction when he emerged for a few songs with his group, Juke Kartel. The set included a version of Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House," the first of many, many tiresome cover songs to come.

Sandwiched between Juke Kartel and the more accomplished opening band, The Panic Channel, the eagerly awaited Dilana emerged for a short set accompanied by an acoustic guitarist. Dressed in gypsy-style gown, the South African singer did "Roxanne" and "Time After Time." The latter fit nicely with the image she projects as a poor man's Cyndi Lauper imitating Stevie Nicks.

She and the guitarist clasped hands and strolled off stage together, a romantic gesture undercut by one thing: "Hey, dude," the guy next to me shouted. "You're still plugged in!" It was true. When the cord ran out of slack, the moment was marred. "This is just like open-mic night," the guy next to me said.

Yeah, it was like that.

Despite a shock-and-awe worthy arsenal of spotlights and strobes, it was impossible to conceal that Rock Star Supernova and the others were lacking something in the talent and charisma departments.

Supernova's debut album is pretty ordinary, despite the presence of drummer Tommy Lee (Motley Crue), bassist Jason Newsted (Metallica) and guitarist Gilby Clarke (Guns N' Roses). An injured Newsted has been replaced on the early tour dates by Johnny Colt and the absence might be a good career move for him.

As a frontman, Rossi is prone to ridiculously over-the-top banter. "It smells like sex in here," he said at one point. "Who is drunk?" he asked later. "I'm drunk on the love in this room, baby!"

Along with its own songs, Supernova did unremarkable interpretations of Don Henley's "Boys of Summer," the Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony" and the Stones' "Let's Spend the Night Together."

That last song, the encore of the 75-minute set, was an unintentional reminder that Rossi isn't Mick Jagger and his band is far from the greatest rock band in the world. Even if they were on TV.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/ent..._so_super.html