Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default juniper?

sorry if this has been discussed before, but i couldn't find anything on it. does anyone know what the significance of the word "juniper" is in 'someone's gotta change your mind' and 'juniper' ? for some reason, i see it as a place, perhaps the name of a street or a park. i would be interested if anyone has heard lindsey comment on the matter or if there are other opinions on what it might refer to.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was wondering the same thing. I need another reference besides the one of the weird and highly annoying girl named Juniper I went to college with

Right now I have trouble with those songs simply because all I can think of when I listen to them is about annoying Juniper If anyone has insight I'd LOVE to hear/read about it!!
Old 11-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

From what I've read, it was a street near where Lindsey grew up.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Read the latest Guitar World Accoustic article... Link that's where he talks about it. Here's the blurb:

The last tune, "Juniper," has a slight Brazilian feel to it.

BUCKINGHAM My wife calls it the Love Boat song. Thank you, dear [laughs]. It was originally written in a much slower, straighter tempo, and it wasn't something I'd planned to put on this record. But when I was finishing the album I went back to it, and the lyric struck me as more appropriate than it had been when I wrote it. It was a remembrance of growing up [in Palo Alto, California]. Juniper is the name of a street that ran right into the street my family lived on; we used to ride our bikes down Juniper when I was a kid. Not I'm a father, and when you become a parent you see your own parents differently-you can maybe see them in a wiser light. Also, because it was another maj7 song, I thought it would be a nice mate to "Under the Skin." A lot of people said, "Don't put that on there, it's terrible!" And I thought, Well, okay, maybe it is, but you can get away with a lot when it's the last song on the record.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the song "flying down juniper" is referencing a street name that he lived near while growing up. He mentioned in an article or radio interview that when he was young, he and his friends would ride their bikes real fast down Juniper road. Maybe someone else will be able to provide more of a quotable context for you. I don't have the specifics at my fingertips right now.....Sorry!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 11-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks MacMan. Guess we were writing at the same time!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 11-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

very cool, thanks a lot everyone! lindsey did a fine job of getting his point across, everytime i heard him say "flying down juniper" in SGCYM i always felt like he was talking about a specific time and place. now i know exactly which time and which place.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oooh thinking of this as a street or place makes a lot more sense...more so than what I was thinking of!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Racing your bike through the streets: flying down Juniper. And people say he can't write poetic lyrics....

Old 11-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Racing your bike through the streets: flying down Juniper. And people say he can't write poetic lyrics....
You shill!!!