User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Driving test information

I'm going to get an instruction permit (yes, I'm 29, shat up. LOL) tomorrow (hopefully) and would like some information. If anyone has taken this test (in Texas preferably, but wherever), how long does it take, how many questions does it have and any tips?

I'm not going for the license because I don't wanna take the driving test. LOL I only need a permit so I can drive in emergencies and when we go on our trip to Colorado, I wanna be prepared. My dad got sick when we went to New Mexico, and if my mom had not been there, I would have been stuck in the hotel with him.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I JUST GOT MY DRIVERS PERMIT 20 MINUTES AGO WOOOOOOHOOOO...

I am also 16, sorry christy lol!

On my test (I live in MA), there was 20 questions, but all you need is 14 to pass. So if you get 14 right along the way th emachine stops and you have your permit. Its common sense, no need to read any book.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really can't remember anything about the written test, except that it was easy. You should do fine, Christy.

And congrats Jimmy!
Old 07-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I really can't remember anything about the written test, except that it was easy. You should do fine, Christy.

And congrats Jimmy!
Thanks Krista!

And yes its a piece of cake.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't remember taking a written test lol - but I'm sure it was easy if I did

The thing is - just use common sense and it should be a breeze- that's pretty much what it's all about - and though you're not a driver - I'm sure you know about things like traffic signs and lights and such - you'll do fine

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Thanks ya'll!!

Congrats Jimmy!!

20 questions!? Wow, that shouldn't take but a few minutes. LOL I was expecting like 100 or something. LOL
Old 07-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yield to the pedestrian with the white cane.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
Congrats Jimmy!!

20 questions!? Wow, that shouldn't take but a few minutes. LOL I was expecting like 100 or something. LOL
Yup!! In Massachusetts you only need to get 14 right, so if you get 14 right then you can stop so sometimes you don't even need to answer 20 questions. They asked a few questions to me about perscription drugs and drunk driving, but i still got em right.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Congratulations Jimmy, and...

Don't sweat it, Christy. As Krista said, it's easy. I suck at all of that and had a hell of a time in driving school and can't pass the actual driving test to save my life but I found the written test very easy. It only took me about twenty minutes and I was in and out. So don't worry.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Ya should be alright...

Christy, the written tests are easy questions, So as long as ya study the booklet (Texas does give out study booklets dont they, are they really that dumb??? Oh wait, I already know that answer...)

The only question I missed on the written test was the following:

Q-"If an elderly person is walking in the crosswalk using a walker, how many points are you awarded for running 'em over? And if you don't kill 'em the first time is it correct to back up over 'em?"

I guessed 100 points, when it was only 50 points...Plus I was wrong on backing up over 'em, Cause if ya didnt kill 'em the first time you shouldnt be driving in the first place!!!!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 07-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christy...29 isn't too old at all..I got mine (a car one ) at 24, so don't worry about it. If you can somehow find enough courage to get that full licence and get yourself some wheels (and freedom), you'll be laughing and wonder what you ever did without them..go for it and all the best
Old 07-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuigirl
I got mine (a car one ) at 24, so don't worry about it...
Hey, I know that wasn't for me but thanks for saying that, because I'm 22 and I've had my stupid learner's permit since I was 16 or so. I've failed the driving test four times and I have a hard time not feeling like an idiot. I'm hoping to get an actual license by the time I'm 24, so I don't feel so bad knowing there's someone else who got one at that age, too.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for the words, everyone!!

Brian, yes, they have booklets and they have it online too, so I took a gander today and yesterday.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just did all this stuff about a year ago. That test was a piece of cake. You have NOTHING to worry about. I waited a year after my 16th birthday to get my license becuase I too was scared of taking the test. Finally one day I was like "Dad, just take me. I'm sick of not being able to go anywhere." So, I went and I had the waiver since I took the test at school and I passed, but I was afraid I was going to be a spot check day. Well, my waiver was expired, and I still didn't have to take the test! I was the happiest person that day...

I can't wait to put the top down on my car and blast Fall From Grace. Does anyone agree that this song just makes you want to drive really fast?

"Age is just a number... The rest is just a state of mind."
Old 07-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
Yield to the pedestrian with the white cane.
Or the white cane with a red end on it. My best friend used to use those for the longest time -- they fold up -- but ever since she started college she's been using a white cane. Whatever floats her boat. I used to get her keychains with beanie babies on them to hook on her cane.

My advice to you, Christy, would be to read the manual/booklet/whatever they call it. In driver's ed we went over everything in the book and then we were expected to study it. In LA they put some of the easy ones and some of the hard ones on there -- if there's anything with specific numbers on it (like braking distance) it might be a good idea to pay some special attention to that. Also when you have to stop for a schoolbus and how far from it you're supposed to stop. Little stuff like that. I think we had 35 questions here, I don't remember for certain... but I do remember all of the questions came from that book.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

a bell is not a bell until you ring it.
a song is not a song until you sing it.
love wasn't put in your heart to stay.
love isn't love until you give it away.

when life hands you lemons, stick them down your bra and make your boobs bigger