Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Idiot's Guide To Cell Phones

I think I'm finally going to join modern civ & get a cell, possibly as soon as tomorrow. My 3-D friends are bombarding me with advice until my head explodes. I'm counting on you folks to break it all down for this idiot as simply & clearly as possible.
I'm not a phone person, but I will be depending on the cell since I don't give out my home phone # except to close friends, they're pissed they have difficulty reaching me on it, and during the school year I don't want my classroom phone ringing with social calls, so I do need a good # of minutes on any plan I look at. I do know I want a phone that takes pics. Just 'cause. And free long distance seems like a given.

I'm leaning towards Verizon right now.
A friend wants to split a Cingular plan with me, but I haven't heard good thing about Cingular down here, & I don't want to be tied to a plan with a friend anyway, unless somebody can give me a very persuasive reason.
Also, I'd prefer not to deal with anything related to MCI (please don't tell me Verizon is) since I despise that company.

How many Stevie/Mac songs are available to be ringtones?

As you can see, I'm very green. Advise away. Don't leave me at the mercy of sales reps when I go in.

- Jake
Old 07-20-2005, 02:59 PM
DeadliestPoison
This message has been deleted by DeadliestPoison.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadliestPoison
I don't know about anything else, but as far as ringtones go, as far as I know, you can only get some Christine songs in ringtone form (ALAYF, Don't Stop, Love In Store, etc). However, I've noticed that what's listed as 'Songbird' is usually GDW.
Glad we're starting with the most important thing.
Any Stevie or Lindsey songs?

- Jake
Old 07-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have Cingular. No problems at all.

I've only seen Chris tunes for ringtones & I never get it right when I try to DL them, so I gave up.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
I have Cingular. No problems at all.

I've only seen Chris tunes for ringtones & I never get it right when I try to DL them, so I gave up.
Thanks. I'm told a lot of it comes down to where you live/will be using the phone.

- Jake
Old 07-20-2005, 03:26 PM
DeadliestPoison
Old 07-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Holy ****, Jake. Hell hath frozen over. First a DVD player and now a cell phone?!? What next, cable!?! I have Cingular Wireless (formerly AT&T). I locked into a two year plan so I could get a cheaper rate. I pay just about $50 a month. I have free long distance but I do roam. The plan I have takes me from NYC down to DC without roaming (which is quite a spread). I have 2000 anytime minutes and free nights an weekends. Of course, i'm sure there are even better plans now and I plan on switching come December when my two years are up. Right now, I have a Motorola It does the bare essentials -- no fancy colored screens (which IMO, waste your battery), just a nice flip phone which can either ring, vibrate, ring and vibrate at the same time, or stay on silent mode. It stays charged for days, which I love. Generally, when you buy a plan of any kind, your phone is pretty much nearly free with rebates so cost of the phone won't be an issue -- make sure you check into plans and remember, the more years you buy into a contract, the less you'll pay per month.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have Cingular and have had no trouble.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i have verizon... careful on the split w/a friend...sometimes that can turn bad if you both arent clear on what that means...good luck
Old 07-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was shocked when I read this. I didn't know that there was someone left on this planet that didn't have a cell phone.

My advice is... don't get one! They are annoying. I don't even asnwer mine anymore because I am sick of people calling me at all hours. I guess better advice is to be selective with who you give your cell phone number to.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 07-20-2005, 04:37 PM
DeadliestPoison
Old 07-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hee. I just turn my ringer volume down a bunch. Or toss it under my pillow. I can only listen to a polyphonic Personal Jesus so much, people.

But I do regret giving my number to a few people. Namely the one who calls me ALL THE TIME. Thank God for voicemail.

I hate phones. I only have a cell phone in case of emergency. But some people call to tell me what they had for breakfast that day and I just want to scream! There is this one girl that talks so much I can set the phone down, go to the kitchen and make a drink and when I get back she is still talking!

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 07-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

But I do regret giving my number to a few people. Namely the one who calls me ALL THE TIME. Thank God for voicemail.
EMO TEARS :_( I'm telling you -- block that kid.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have Verizon and I haven't had any problems.

The only Mac tones that I have are Little Lies, Don't Stop and You Make Loving Fun.

"Age is just a number... The rest is just a state of mind."
Old 07-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie
Holy ****, Jake. Hell hath frozen over. First a DVD player and now a cell phone?!? What next, cable!?! I have Cingular Wireless (formerly AT&T). I locked into a two year plan so I could get a cheaper rate. I pay just about $50 a month. I have free long distance but I do roam. The plan I have takes me from NYC down to DC without roaming (which is quite a spread). I have 2000 anytime minutes and free nights an weekends. Of course, i'm sure there are even better plans now and I plan on switching come December when my two years are up. Right now, I have a Motorola It does the bare essentials -- no fancy colored screens (which IMO, waste your battery), just a nice flip phone which can either ring, vibrate, ring and vibrate at the same time, or stay on silent mode. It stays charged for days, which I love. Generally, when you buy a plan of any kind, your phone is pretty much nearly free with rebates so cost of the phone won't be an issue -- make sure you check into plans and remember, the more years you buy into a contract, the less you'll pay per month.
In all seriousness, how long do they go without being recharged before the battery runs out?

- Jake
Old 07-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I have Cingular and have had no trouble.
Hmmm. Maybe I'll give them another look after all.

- Jake
Old 07-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The key to cell phones is not to be a cell-phone ass.

Anyway - I LOVE Verizon, I've had other companies - they sucked - I've been happiest with Verizon.

I don't have a flashy, fancy camera phone or anything - just a simple flip phone.

There are a fair number of Fleetwood Mac Ringtones - but I don't think they're that great.

My ringtone is the X-Files Theme
Old 07-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD
i have verizon... careful on the split w/a friend...sometimes that can turn bad if you both arent clear on what that means...good luck
I know, I don't even like to share dessert. Mr. Commitment-phobic here, reporting in.

- Jake