The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy So tomorrow is three years (9/11)

Probably I won't be visiting the Ledge tomorrow, so before the day is over I post this.

Though it's been 3 years, let me express again my deepest sympathies for those who are reading this who may have lost friends or loved ones in the senseless attacks on 9/11. My thoughts and prayers will always be with you guys.

These attacks were against the whole world, I think. It changed history, but in a infamous way. Nothing was the same since then.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's really hard to believe it's been three years... the memories are still so fresh.

Sometimes when I close my eyes I can still see the images of that day... which I'm sure is true for the majority of people who witnessed the events on television.
I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for those who actually witnessed them in person.

I still can't wrap my head around the sheer number of lives lost in one fell swoop, or the thought that every single one of those lives touched untold numbers of other lives in their short time on this Earth.

This tragedy most certainly had a global effect, and it's not an exaggeration to say that everyone was affected on that day.

What makes this tragedy even worse, is that it seems we still haven't learned any lessons.
The world is still filled with hate-mongers and war-mongers. Selfish and self-centered people still abound everywhere you look.
We haven't become kinder, more compassionate people. We haven't looked inside ourselves for answers. We haven't worked hard enough to make this world a better place for everyone.
People still ask, "what's in it for me?"
People are still just as aggressive and mean-spirited as before.

A tragedy of the magnitude of September 11th shouldn't simply cause people to be kind and decent for a few weeks or a few months, it should cause people to understand the importance of being compassionate and understanding for a lifetime.

They always say, "Live everyday as if it's your last"... but I think it's more important to treat everyone you come in contact with as if it's their last.
It's harder to be hateful or spiteful towards someone, when you consider that it might be their last day on this earth.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Wow, I was a Junior in HS when the attacks happened; it seems like it happened yesterday. I was in Algebra or something lol I don't know since I could care less if math dropped off the face of the Earth but, my teacher had come in from doing some kind of arrand outside the class room and she turns the TV on and is like "Something very serious has happened," and I wasn't really paying attention at first 'cause she had said something about "war" and so I thought that she was just going back in time on that day, but it wasn't and I saw the first plane fly in to the first building and I was shaking like no tomorrow! I then witnessed the 2nd one and my anxiety just hit sky high and my knees were shaking, I couldn't breathe well, and it was just a horrible situation! I was glad that class was almost over 'cause my Tech Theatre was next but lol It was my comfort class, I had a friend in that class and I was able to talk to her about it and my teacher was sort of like a friend and so I felt comfortable around her; I just will never forget that day and I know that it was around Homecoming at our HS and it was one of the Spirit days ~ I think it was Fantasy day lol I remember my Theatre teacher wearing something sort of Snow white-ish lol But around lunch time, I was going around and showing people my shirt...Know what was on it? lol The WTC buildings lol I had no feeling that anything was going to happen when I put that shirt on that morning but then it just became too creepy.

.~.*.~.

MG'S4EVER

http://www.greatestjournal.com/users/x_kimbee_x/
Old 09-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

That whole day was completely surreal!

I remember wakeing up by alarm to go to work... and for some strange reason I switched on the tv... I never turn the tv on first thing.. It's usually the radio. But anyway, it was Katie and Matt on Today... And they were just sitting there trying to explain what they didn't really know.. it was live and they had thought a small plane had for some reason flown into the building... they had the live shot of the smoke coming from the first building... and it must have just happened cause they were completely bewildered... anyway, it got my attention so I stood there... then what looked like a black bird (the second plane) came around and hit the second building... Well the rest is history as they say, as far as what was actually happening...

But I was stunned... sitting there in disbelief.. My first thought was that the airport was totally screwing up the flight paths and they were directing planes in the wrong area... Not even really thinking that people steer these things... But to do it on purpose wasn't even in my thought process....

Anyway... sad, sad day for everyone everywhere - it has forever changed us as people I believe.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

I was in 7th grade at the time, in science class when the attacks, unbeknownst to me at the time, happened. Two periods later, while I was on my way to my locker, one of the students who used to play a lot of pranks on me walked up to me and said, "Mike, the World Trade Center is on fire!" Considering his history, I thought he was kidding, and forgot about it. I went to my locker and then to reading class (at the middle school English is divided into language arts and reading), where I saw the TV on. These tragic events were being covered. I realized that the guy was not kidding me this time (for the record, he hasn't played any pranks on me since then), and felt an overwhelming sense of grief and guilt. I believed that there was something I could have done to prevent it, even though I knew that there wasn't.

It just occured to me that all of the patriotism generated by the events is almost nonexistent now. It saddens me that people are beginning to take their country for granted like they did before. I seriously hope tomorrow will revoke memories of this tragic day and make people realize that freedom is not to be taken for granted.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sept 11, 2001

Let us never forget.

My school where I work is a couple of miles from the Pentagon. When nthe plane hit the building it broke a gas line and it exploded. The explosion made our building shake. We heard the explosion before we knew a plane had hit. For days afterward, I'd hear a plane or chopper going overhead and wonder if it was ours...

"We listen to their voices, ignoring our own voice" Stevie - SOTM
"I keep the dream in my pocket, never let it fade away" Lindsey - TITN
Old 09-10-2004, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy

Sep 11th to me is one of those days you can't ever forget.... No matter if you were 13 when you say it happen, You will still remember where you were and what you were doing..
It still feels like it was yesterday. I can only hope something that horrific will never be seen again...
My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims families... This must be a very hard time for them