Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-01-2003, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face Mirage....**snooze...**

I found Mirage used the other day for 5 bucks so I figured what the hell, and picked it up. I've been wanting Hold Me on CD for a while so I'm glad I got a chance to get it cheap.

The only thing that sucks is that I think it's the only Mac CD I've bought so far (out of Future Games, Mystery, Bare Trees, The Dance, Tusk) that I don't really care for.

I hate "singles albums" that have a couple hits and then a bunch of filler. It's not without merit though. "Love In Store" although lightweight, is a pleasant enough melody and catchy. "Can't Go Back" is a nice song from Lindsey and his only good one on the album. "That's Alright" is nothing spectacular but once again, inoffensive and easy on the ears. The dreamy "Only Over You" took getting used to but I love it now. "Gypsy" which I always thought was just OK, sounds great next to these lesser tracks.

Side 2 (which I imagine starts with track 7) is just a mess. The koto parts on "Empire State" are interesting but they don't salvage an otherwise bland track. "Straight Back" sounds really lazy, like they didn't give a **** what it came out sounding like. "Oh Diane" I absolutely can't stand, and is the only downright bad track on the album although the intro to "Eyes Of The World" is just as much, if not more irritating. "Wish You Were Here" is just OK and for some reasons reminds me of "Silver Springs". I think it has some identical chord progressions. At least it has the glorious single "Hold Me" which reaches out like a ray of sunshine after the last two nap time tracks. Oh I forgot all about "Book Of Love!" There's probably a good reason for it.

In polls this album always seems to be rated so highly and I'm just not getting into it. On the Penguin poll at least, it's rated above the excellent Mystery To Me and Bare Trees which totally stymes me. It just sounds uninspired and dull (theres no rock to this rock and roll), and I'm majorly bummed about it because I thought it would be as consistantly pleasing as the other albums I bought. Maybe I should make my next purchase Rumors so I can say the next Mac CD I bought was a great one! LOL

But what do you guys think? I know this site is mainly comprised of Mac obsessives so I'm prepared to get reamed out here. There's gotta be someone else who feels the same way.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Eric,

I highly doubt that you will get chewed out for your viewpoint. Mirage is widely regarded by the fans (and hell, even LB himself) as the weakest one of the "Rumours" era Mac.... although I do like "Eyes of the World" along with "Gypsy" "Straight Back" and "Hold Me" of course!

Good analysis~ xx Meredith
Old 08-01-2003, 07:02 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just to add, Eric:

When you put it in context of the time period, the band had just spent like 18 months working on Tusk, and another year or so touring for Tusk, and Stevie and Lindsey had just put out their albums in 1981-- so I think things were a bit tense to say the least. They were so determined not to make Tusk into a "Rumours 2" that I think they went completely the other way when it came time to make "Mirage." It was also recorded in a chateau in France... not sure who's idea that was though... I'm sure many people suffered from homesickness! But I'll say it again, it's a great album simply because of "Gypsy" and "Hold Me" in my opinion, two of my favorite FM songs.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Re: Mirage....**snooze...**

Quote:
Originally posted by EricBliss12345
On the Penguin poll at least, it's rated above the excellent Mystery To Me and Bare Trees which totally stymes me.
I expect this is due to many fans being "Rumours era only" or "only SN/LB" etc.

I don't mean this in a bad way though, I just mean that many Rumours only etc. fans can't vote on albums such as BT, MTM etc. because they haven't heard then yet.

Even those that have heard those that didn't vote that way, it's just their opinion and Rumours era only etc. fans will always out number fans of other eras of FM... right or wrong.

Just some thoughts though.

John
Old 08-01-2003, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mirage is my favoite record for many reasons. I think Steive is at her all time best vocally on this record. Granted her song "That's Alright" was written in the ealy 70's according to the vocal on the demo I have, but Gypsy is just majestic and so representative to me of her life in FM and as a solo artist at that time. Also, I think there is a little of Robin's sickness and death in that song in the part about the child and if Stevie was a child would she be enough so perhaps Robin would not have terminated her life earlier than she perhaps could have lived by choosing to have the baby despite her lukemia - her gift to he world, a continuation of herself, etc. I also love the piercing vocal on Straight Back as well as the writing as it demonstrates how she writes a song, her spiritual nature, etc.

Hold Me is probably at any given moment one of my favorite songs by FM and is a testament to LB in the way he produced that gem. Same for Love in Store. But, unlike SN and, perhaps more so, LB, I in general really like everything CM ever did.

I also like LB's songs (yes, even Oh Diane, esp. the harmonies on it after LB's vocal of Diane), esp. Eyes of the World.

Finally, that was he tadolescent to adult period of my life and, concurrently, the very beginning of the produced "story board" video. What a treat to behold Stevie then; I probably have never had quite that feeling in my life as I did when I first saw her in red and supine on that killer chaise lounge. Pretty much the same for her in Gypsy.

I know some see it as a comeback t the mainstream ater Tusk, but I just loved it and still do.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 08-01-2003 at 08:39 PM..
Old 08-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I totally agree Bare Trees and MTM are greatness. They just to me are not as great as when La nicks and the tempestuous Buckingham joined. They just added something very unique that to me sort of eclipsed the majority of the pre BN work. I would even say this about my beloved "Why," "Man of the World," and Albatross." While these, with some others, to me are perfection, they just for some reason do not "compare" to the work after LB and SN joined. Perhaps my point of view is biased because I was about eight years old when FM FM came out and "knew" only thatline up until the late 80's. Plus, Stevie just does it for me, esp. when she is with FM.

Note: no slam at all intended to the pre LB/Sn line up. Again, I like if not love most of their work. I just like the post stuff better.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-01-2003, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Everyone is entitled to their thoughts on things. But Mirage holds a special place in my heart as it was the first Mac album I bought when there was vinyl. I played it into the ground that is how much I adored it. Lindsey and Christine's duet on Hold Me is a favorite as well as Eyes Of The World. Gypsy is a fabulous Stevie track. I also love Lindsey's quirky tunes like Empire State, Oh Diane and Book of Love. Another gem to mention is Christine's Wish You Were Here.

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009
Old 08-02-2003, 02:30 AM
Ledgie

I've always thought Mirage is underrated. I much prefer it to Tango in the Night - it's much warmer. "Hold Me" and "Gypsy" may be Lindsey's best ever productions for Fleetwood Mac. I also think "Eyes of the World" is a brilliantly inventive tune. The rest of the album isn't up to that standard certainly, but I don't think there are any real duds on the album. I personally like Lindsey's 1950's-style tunes, but I can imagine people being turned off by them. I agree with the poster above who admires Stevie's singing - it's the last album where her voice really sounded great. I think the perception of the album as bland comes from Christine's material, but then I'm not a big Christine fan. However, Lindsey's production is pretty uninspired on her tunes too, "Hold Me" excepted. Apart from that I always enjoy listening to "Mirage," even if it rarely scales the heights of the preceding three albums.

Last edited by squealy; 08-02-2003 at 02:34 AM..
Old 08-02-2003, 04:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with Squealy. Tango is good, but Mirage is better. BTW, I didn't care for Straight Back's sound when I first heard it, but it really grew on me, and the lyrics are very good, IMO.
The piano notes at the beginnings of WYWH and The Dance version of Silver Springs sound alike to me.

- Jake
Old 08-02-2003, 05:41 AM

Oh my gosh...I had Mirage on vinyl too

Sandwiched in between Tusk and Tango...for me it signified that they were heading into their mid-30's and 40's and...I don't know, it just seems like a very reflective period for the band...they lived through the 'drama' of Rumours and the 'pressure' to release a follow up to it (Tusk)...I dunno...Mirage to me seems like a 'big sigh of relief' for the band.

Love in Store is classic Christine. Sweet, catchy and again that trademark three part harmony throughout.

Can't Go Back...Is one of my favorites (if not the favorite) songs of Lindsey's....the lyrics are touching..."Standing in the shadows, the man I use to be...I wanna go back..." When he sings "She was just a dream maker...dreamer of sighs...shadow on the one who use to cry..."I always think of Stevie.

That's Alright...Country Stevie...I love her vocal on this song. Very strong, clear and sharp.

Book of Love...is somewhat boring

Gypsy....Obviously Stevie's crowning jewel

Only Over You...tolerable and somewhat poignant (about Dennis Wilson right?)

Empire State....I LOVE NYC...I don't like this song

Straight Back....I've always enjoyed

Hold Me...as with Gypsy is Christine's crowning jewel...

Oh Diane....Oh please.....It is the worse (it's like he was having a Paul Anka flashback or something)

Eyes of the World....is okay but I like it live better

Wish You Were Here...Classic Christine closer...bittersweet.

All in all it's not bad, again it's one of those 'background' albums I play from time to time.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Out of the 5 Rumours line up albums, Mirage is just barely behind Tango for me. It's nowhere nearly as good as Tusk, Rumours & The White Album, but I still like it anyway. I LOVE "Hold Me" & "Wish You Were Here". I also like "Gypsy", "Love In Store" & "Only Over You". All of Stevie's songs are actually pretty good here. Lindsey's songs are fairly lightweight. I hate "Empire State", the only song on the album that I really dislike a lot. I don't like "Eyes Of The World" either, although live on the Mirage tour, it was terrific.

I also think Mirage is nowhere nearly as good as Mystery To Me & Bare Trees. But then not many Fleetwood Mac albums are. MTM & BT are among my top 5 favorite Mac albums.

Last edited by macfan 57; 08-02-2003 at 05:57 AM..
Old 08-02-2003, 06:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I notice a lot of people giving major props to Gypsy and Hold Me over the other tracks, which coincidentally were the big hits. It also seems like the album has some sentimental value to people, and if that's the case I can understand why some really like the album. I'm a huge Yes fan and some of the more overlooked or odd albums in the catalog are favorites of mine because they bring back good memories of my childhood and whatnot.

I'll tell you what though, I'm glad I have Mirage for Christine's songs and "Can't Go Back". I only paid 5 bucks for it anyways, I don't regret the purchase. The last album I bought was Tusk which I just love track to track, so Mirage was kind of a shock after digesting such a mammoth album.

Who knows, this album may very well grow on me. A lot of my favorite albums I hated at first, I guess I just expect that since the Mac are pop that I should love it right out of the box and it should be immidiately engaging. Some songs on Tusk that I couldn't stand or thought were boring at first really grew on me. I'm going to make sure I got my moneys worth and give it some more serious top-to-bottom spins. I'll check back in a week.

Oh by the way which one of you said earlier that I'm negative and not much of a fan? No ****. Did you see the albums I have? My fandom is currently IN PROGRESS. Believe me, I'm workin' on it!

As far as the negativity, I love Tusk and right now is one of my favorites. Mystery To Me is fantastic. Bare Trees has phenominal stuff on it. I love all the junk on the box set I have. Future Games is also pretty cool. Remeber I also said Mirage definately has some high points.

I'll show you negativity. You SUCK.

And I'm kidding.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mirage may not be the best Mac stuff ever, but I personally prefer it to Tango In The Night. I do agree with you in that a few of the songs are pretty bad, however.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:17 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Mirage may not be the best Mac stuff ever, but I personally prefer it to Tango In The Night.
ditto...

and EricBliss... you are too critical of fleetwood mac and for that...

jk...
Old 08-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I kind of agree on what your saying Eric. It seems as if side 2 is just a completely different album...and not as good of a one as side 1 at that much. But I personally think "Straight Back" makes up for that slack. It is such an awesome song. And I do like "Hold Me," and "Wish You Were Here."