Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Supernova concert review

Not so Super
posted by JimAbbott on Jan 18, 2007 10:29:11 AM

Lukas Rossi, the lead singer of Rock Star Supernova, is not a rock star, but he played one on TV.

Rossi and his reality-show rock band are now venturing into reality, which is different from reality TV, with a headlining tour that stopped Wednesday at Hard Rock Live. The package also includes other fledgling "stars" that competed on the CBS series.

I never watched this TV show, because one reality (my own) is enough. On Wednesday, it was obvious that the prime-time back-story was essential to appreciating these otherwise average performances.

Folks around me were giddy with anticipation about seeing opening-act Dilana and kept chattering about injustices done to her by some other woman named Storm. I was hopelessly out of the loop.

The sold-out crowd cheered wildly for Australian rocker Toby Rand, who needed no introduction when he emerged for a few songs with his group, Juke Kartel. The set included a version of Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House," the first of many, many tiresome cover songs to come.

Sandwiched between Juke Kartel and the more accomplished opening band, The Panic Channel, the eagerly awaited Dilana emerged for a short set accompanied by an acoustic guitarist. Dressed in gypsy-style gown, the South African singer did "Roxanne" and "Time After Time." The latter fit nicely with the image she projects as a poor man's Cyndi Lauper imitating Stevie Nicks.

She and the guitarist clasped hands and strolled off stage together, a romantic gesture undercut by one thing: "Hey, dude," the guy next to me shouted. "You're still plugged in!" It was true. When the cord ran out of slack, the moment was marred. "This is just like open-mic night," the guy next to me said.

Yeah, it was like that.

Despite a shock-and-awe worthy arsenal of spotlights and strobes, it was impossible to conceal that Rock Star Supernova and the others were lacking something in the talent and charisma departments.

Supernova's debut album is pretty ordinary, despite the presence of drummer Tommy Lee (Motley Crue), bassist Jason Newsted (Metallica) and guitarist Gilby Clarke (Guns N' Roses). An injured Newsted has been replaced on the early tour dates by Johnny Colt and the absence might be a good career move for him.

As a frontman, Rossi is prone to ridiculously over-the-top banter. "It smells like sex in here," he said at one point. "Who is drunk?" he asked later. "I'm drunk on the love in this room, baby!"

Along with its own songs, Supernova did unremarkable interpretations of Don Henley's "Boys of Summer," the Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony" and the Stones' "Let's Spend the Night Together."

That last song, the encore of the 75-minute set, was an unintentional reminder that Rossi isn't Mick Jagger and his band is far from the greatest rock band in the world. Even if they were on TV.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/ent..._so_super.html
Old 01-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Ouch. I was hoping they'd fare better than this. This guy is being a little brutal though. Didn't their tour just start?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still laughing that they have only sold about 30,000 copies of their cd since it's debut in the US this past November (The cd has gone "Gold" in Canada due to the singer being a Canadian)

Rumors have been in circulation that Jason Newsted knew what was coming and used the injury to bail out of this reality-based musical Titanic instead of "going down with the ship".
Old 01-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Sandwiched between Juke Kartel and the more accomplished opening band, The Panic Channel, the eagerly awaited Dilana emerged for a short set accompanied by an acoustic guitarist. Dressed in gypsy-style gown, the South African singer did "Roxanne" and "Time After Time." The latter fit nicely with the image she projects as a poor man's Cyndi Lauper imitating Stevie Nicks.
I'd love to see that!
Old 01-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
I'm still laughing that they have only sold about 30,000 copies of their cd since it's debut in the US this past November (The cd has gone "Gold" in Canada due to the singer being a Canadian)

Rumors have been in circulation that Jason Newsted knew what was coming and used the injury to bail out of this reality-based musical Titanic instead of "going down with the ship".
30,000 copies is bad. I just object to the reviewer being so harsh on Lucas, Dilana and Toby. This is their first big tour after all. He must have gone to one of the very first shows.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The CD is BEYOND hideous! completely unlistenable
Old 01-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
30,000 copies is bad. I just object to the reviewer being so harsh on Lucas, Dilana and Toby. This is their first big tour after all. He must have gone to one of the very first shows.
I agree for the most part, but they are the ones who think they are ready for a big arena tour. I love Dilana, but don't think she's ready at all.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There was a pretty bad review in the Buffalo News last week. He liked Dilana, panned the rest of them. Said that "cheese" factor was just too much.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Never liked the winner of ROCK STAR this past year. IMO, he sucked.
I never once voted for him. Tommy Lee is over-rated anyway.

I would, however, pay to see the opening act. I think SHE rocked!!

rbs