Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Arrow DISCUSSION: Bob Welch's songs from Bare Trees

Bob Welch just had 2 songs here, "The Ghost" and "Sentimental Lady".

What's your take on the FM version of "Sentimental Lady" vs his solo version?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think I prefer Bob's solo version of 'Sentimental Lady'. The FM version is instrumentally better and I like Christine's vocal, but Bob's vocal is better on the solo version. 'The Ghost' is another song where I just have to be in a certain mood to enjoy it.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not keen on "Sentimental Lady", but I prefer the Mac version to the solo version. I used to quite like the song, but I went off it quite strongly.

I like "The Ghost" though - one of my favourites of Bob's. I don't sense much love for it generally, but I like it.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I strongly prefer the FM version of "SL" to the solo version. The solo version is, well, I hate to say it, but the word that comes to mind is "sappy." The FM version is simple and heartfelt. The vocal has a much more sincere sound to it. I strongly prefer Christine's vocal on the FM version to her vocal on the solo version, and I like the way they sing together almost like a round.

I also love "The Ghost." The use of the mellotron is unique and wonderful. I really like Bob's vocal. I just really like the arrangements of the songs on this album. Some might consider them under-produced, and I think that's what I like about them.

I also think it was one of the strengths of that period in their history that they were dealing with such serious topics, mixed in with Christine's bright love songs and Danny's mystical leanings.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope to God that Dust wins this so we can band together to drive it to the finale and onto victory!!!! Are you with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I hope to God that Dust wins this so we can band together to drive it to the finale and onto victory!!!! Are you with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like an attempt at collusion...I will NOT be a party to that. (and, "Dust"? Really? Danny didn't even WRITE the thing...just put some cheezy chords over a hundred year old poem.)

And, this is Bob Welch's Bare Trees thread...show some respect.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Sounds like an attempt at collusion...I will NOT be a party to that. (and, "Dust"? Really? Danny didn't even WRITE the thing...just put some cheezy chords over a hundred year old poem.)

And, this is Bob Welch's Bare Trees thread...show some respect.
Yes, this is Bob's thread, but I can't let the 'cheezy chords' comment go without a rebuttal "Dust" is a great thing. Sure, Danny didn't write the lyrics, and Rupert Brooke should have received a credit, but it's a fine piece, and has about 1% of the cheese factor of a hell of a lot of Fleetwood Mac songs.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Obviously, not one of my favorites...of any era's. I even much prefer "Danny's Chant". But, again, this is Bob's thread.

While "Sentimental Lady" is a Fleetwood Mac classic, I lean toward preferring "The Ghost" these days....but then, when it comes to Bob's tunes on ANY FMac album he's on, I waffle quite a bit in regards to my favorite of his.

Comparing the Bare Trees version of "Sentimental Lady" with the French Kiss version: I like 'em both for different reasons...just wish Bob would've included the second verse in the FK version. I remember seeing him play it live after FK was released, he did a kind of a mix of the two versions...basically the Bare Trees arrangement (FK version intro, but complete with 2nd verse & guitar solo ala the Will The Real Fleetwood Mac Please Stand Up bootleg) and Christine making a surprise guest appearance singing the FK version background vocals.

Last edited by chiliD; 10-20-2010 at 06:10 PM..
Old 10-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post
Yes, this is Bob's thread, but I can't let the 'cheezy chords' comment go without a rebuttal "Dust" is a great thing. Sure, Danny didn't write the lyrics, and Rupert Brooke should have received a credit, but it's a fine piece, and has about 1% of the cheese factor of a hell of a lot of Fleetwood Mac songs.
Dust is amazing. It's the best thing on the album.

Re: Bob's songs: The Ghost doesn't do anything for me. The original version of SL is miles better than the one on French Kiss.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

I remember seeing him play it live after FK was released, he did a kind of a mix of the two versions...basically the Bare Trees arrangement (FK version intro, but complete with 2nd verse & guitar solo ala the Will The Real Fleetwood Mac Please Stand Up bootleg) and Christine making a surprise guest appearance singing the FK version background vocals.
Where was this?