Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Arrow DISCUSSION: Bob Welch's songs from Future Games

Well it looks like we've left the "Peter Green" era and are entering the "Bob Welch" era.

Future Games is kinda of strange album, especially with just 8 songs. Though a few of the songs themselves are longer than normal. Of course there is nothing "normal" about Fleetwood Mac!

Anyway here are the songs up for discussion...

1. Future Games
2. Lay It All Down
3. What a Shame

...not quite sure how "What A Shame" came about but nonetheless....
Old 10-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Both of Bob's independently written songs are among the best tracks on the record--and for very different reasons. Future Games embodies the lush, dreamy, harmony-laden sound of most of the other tracks. In fact, one might say this song defines the sound that the others adhere to--but I'm not sure if that is true. Either way, Future Games as a song is amazing and incredibly moving both in studio and in live versions.

Lay it All Down is the only all-out rocker on the record, and it fits wonderfully in between the pop-country Sometimes and the delicate Show Me a Smile. It is a moment of interruption that not only reminds the listener that this band can cook--but that it can cook in an entirely new way: Lay it All Down is very close to straight-ahead R&B.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"What a Shame" was a piece of a jam recorded at the last minute, apparently, because the record company didn't want to release a record with only 7 tracks on it. It's credited to all five members though, not just Bob.

"Future Games" is one of the best songs the band ever recorded. Not so keen on "Lay It All Down" though - it would have sounded a lot better on "Bare Trees".
Old 10-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I Love the song 'Future Games'!!! Excellent work by Bob! It is one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs.

I don't care much for 'Lay It All Down', but that has more to do with the subject matter of the song than the song itself.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:31 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up one of the best!

i love this album only really just discovered it. The guitar work is amazing, love the title track but all the tracks are great. This line up after peter greens line up is the best line up in my opnion. Bob welch is a wicked guitar player and him and Danny play great stuff together.
I know there have been speculation about what if with Danny in regards to careers with the stones and other bands etc he was linked with... but what i want to say is that i could see Danny playing perfectly and augmenting every different line up of fleetwood mac right up today and he would have fitted perfectly. He always plays something interesting yet beatuiful such a musical guitarist if you know what i mean.
Obviously mental and personality issues aside from that bless him, love your stuff Dan

Bob welch derserves all the plaudits he gets as well, what gifted player and writer. Fleetwood mac have had some talent on their books there can be no denying.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Senior Ledgie

Superb album. Possibly my 2nd favourite Mac album after Rumours.

Future Games is my favourite track. Always found it weird the album came with different coloured covers. I have the green cd and recently bought a nice yellow cover LP. Great stuff.

I like the scene in the movie 'Almost Famous' (the kitchen at the party the kids invite Russell too,) you can hear Future Games playing on the stereo in the background.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What a strong debut for Bob! "Lay It All Down" is probably one of his most underrated songs. Would fit on Mystery To Me right after "The City" & before "Miles Away". The title cut set the stage for the rest of Bob's tenure.

"What A Shame"...yeah, just a jam that carried on the tradition of having an instrumental on every Fleetwood Mac album (a streak that was, of course, broken by Lindsey & Stevie's involvement...disclaimer: I count Bob Weston's MTM intro to "Why" as a separate instrumental track)
Old 10-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Simon View Post
Superb album. Possibly my 2nd favourite Mac album after Rumours.

Future Games is my favourite track. Always found it weird the album came with different coloured covers. I have the green cd and recently bought a nice yellow cover LP. Great stuff.

I like the scene in the movie 'Almost Famous' (the kitchen at the party the kids invite Russell too,) you can hear Future Games playing on the stereo in the background.
I´m obviously from the pete green fan base but i would agree with you, for me this is there first really good album as a full body of work.
Don´t get me wrong previous albums to this had better individual tracks but this album is the first with a consistent level were all the songs are good and work.