User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Stevie has said in the media the that she hated the way her songs on SYW turned out.
She's not the only one who felt that way about her work on SYW.

The girl needs to bring some better songs to the table.

Doesn't matter who the producer is if all he has to work with is crap.

(I'm running now)
Old 08-18-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
also they have to stop being douchebags.
Somebody's spot on once again lol...
Old 08-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I also think they should go back to that sound that made them famous, or at least the Buckingham Nicks era of Fleetwood Mac. Get rid of the gimmicks that were prominent on "Say You Will", which in say ten years will not have stood the test of time well, and make a more organic Californian rock sound. They had their own style, which made the song instantly indentifiable with the band before anyone started singing. The only reason why a listener would know "Say You Will" was a Fleetwood Mac album (bar the likes of "Destiny Rules" and "Thrown Down") was because they could hear Stevie and/or Lindsey singing.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post

So yeah, Christine may have been more loyal but I think Stevie's loyalty is a bigger feat.
I would say that Stevie was only "most loyal" to the band, in the sense that she didn't leave it. I would never call her contributions to TITN more loyal than Lindsey or Christine's.

And I certainly don't think Stevie sacrificed more than they did for the band.

As far as her needing the band less than Christine or Lindsey did, that depends on how you define "need." If you mean she needed the band to sell out concerts and to make money as a solo artist less than they did, you're definitely correct. She had a name value of her own.

Financially, I don't think they needed the money more than she did. So, they needed FM for its star power, to sell records. At the time, I don't think their "need" to be with FM was greater in any other sense than that.

Right now, I would say that yes what Lindsey wants from his career today makes him desire and need Fleetwood Mac more than Stevie (possibly more than John too, I don't know what John wants), but I don't think that was true in the eighties or nineties, not it in the least.

After SYW came out, even when they were still doing the publicity for SYW, Lindsey said that he wanted to work on a FM album from the ground up and that he wanted them to put out songs that were written with the band in mind from the start, so he had some sense on how to make something more cohesive back then. Hopefully, they follow through.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 08-18-2009 at 12:21 PM..
Old 08-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

After SYW came out, even when they were still doing the publicity for SYW, Lindsey said that he wanted to work on a FM album from the ground up and that he wanted them to put out songs that were written with the band in mind from the start, so he had some sense on how to make something more cohesive back then. Hopefully, they follow through.

Michele
Anyone have any quotes from interviews, press confrences, etc.. with stuff like this being talked about? I would love to read what they were saying back then about another album, and compare it to what's being said now
Old 08-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post

(I'm running now)
I tend to agree with you to a degree here. She should never have drug out such ancient songs as Goodbye Baby, Running Through The Garden, or Smile At You and expected them to halfway go with what Lindsey brought to the table. Say You Will was just fluff, and Silver Girl was just bad. While I'm not 100% nuts with the way Illume turned out, I absolutely LOVE the story and sentiment behind the song, and I love what the song was going for. To me, it's the only of Stevie's songs on SYW that seemed to be a true band effort... she was absolutely pushing her sound envelope, and for her this was a truly experimental track. Mick or Lindsey called it her Gold Dust Woman of the '90s, and there may be some merit to that.

On a more positive note, I can't express enough how much I ADORE Destiny Rules. I really do put it right up there with Gypsy... it's just classic Stevie through and through, and defines everything that I love about Fleetwood Mac. I love Not Make Believe nearly as much... it's a shame it didn't make the album. Thrown Down is a good effort too, but I still prefer the original 'wall of sound' take from TISL.

I think the one the we can all agree on is this: Lindsey doesn't need to bring fully finished songs to the table next time around, and Stevie needs to leave her dusty '70s and '80s demos at home! Except for If You Were My Love .
Old 08-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I would say that Stevie was only "most loyal" to the band, in the sense that she didn't leave it.
I don't know why people keep saying this, because it just isn't true. Is everyone forgetting the time period of 1990-1997??

Truly, one could almost argue Christine was far more 'loyal.' She stuck with the band through multiple lineups, through anonymity, riches and poor, she stayed after her divorce from the band member who brought her into the group to begin with, kept traveling for decades with the band despite her fear of flying, and gave 30 years of her prime to the band that in many senses took her for granted.

I think if you were to place Stevie and Christine side by side, Chris is the one who stuck with the band through thick and thin. She was there for years before the band became a household name, and only left to retire from the business. Stevie left the band in '90 out of personal disagreements.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

I think Christine and Lindsey were more loyal than Stevie.

Stevie kept songs for herself such as E of 17, Stand Back etc which could have been good hits for FM.

What if:

SYW didn't happen, instead Christine returned and made an album and it turned out like this:

1, Did you Miss Me
2, Friend
3, Planets of the Universe
4, Love Runs Deeper
5, Sorcerer
6, Fall from Grace
7, Right place to Fade
8, Love is
9, You are
10, Underground

That would sell millions.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain View Post
Anyone have any quotes from interviews, press confrences, etc.. with stuff like this being talked about? I would love to read what they were saying back then about another album, and compare it to what's being said now
Yeah, Lindsey was talking about more work with Fleetwood Mac non-stop. In fact, at the time he said that he didn't even really see the need to put out more solo work, if FM could continue. As far as finding those interviews goes . . . I grow old. I grow old. I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled. I will look, but I'm weary and feeble. And lazy.

Stevie was not talking about a new album from FM, during the SYW period. The most hope she gave us on that score was this year.

Michele
Old 08-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post

(I'm running now)

(puts on running shoes)

I'm with you. I guess it's a matter of taste, but I think she's written better songs that will likely never see the light of day, such as The Dealer, Forsaken Love, Space Needle. A re-work of any of those songs would, for me, have been more favourable than most of her songs on SYW (and the albums after Mirage to be very honest).
Old 08-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwoodmark View Post

Stevie kept songs for herself such as E of 17, Stand Back etc which could have been good hits for FM.
It is true that Nicks only participated in the recording of TITN for a matter of days ,likely less than 2 weeks whereas it was an 18 month recording process.With Mirage she was in France with the band for six weeks.As far as Edge and Stand Back to be fair both of those songs were penned midway through production of BD and WH respectively so it's not like she squirrled them away from Fleetwood Mac.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwoodmark View Post

What if:

SYW didn't happen, instead Christine returned and made an album and it turned out like this:

1, Did you Miss Me
2, Friend
3, Planets of the Universe
4, Love Runs Deeper
5, Sorcerer
6, Fall from Grace
7, Right place to Fade
8, Love is
9, You are
10, Underground

That would sell millions.
I'm not sure if Stevie purposefully kept the 'best' songs to herself. There are demos of an early version of Planets of the Universe from the Rumours era for example. I think it's possibly the case that she offers them to the band and they aren't so keen, or it just doesn't work, so she keeps them for her solo work where she has more freedom.

That track list looks brilliant but we know the songs as solo efforts, they might have turned out completely differently were threy Fleetwood Mac songs.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know why people keep saying this, because it just isn't true. Is everyone forgetting the time period of 1990-1997??
Yes, I am forgetting it. In fact, I lost consciousness in August 1987 and was not revived until 1997.

However, Stevie did not leave the band in 1990. She was on tour with the band throughout 1990.

As for her loyalty to the band, if I made a list of FM members who were most loyal to the band, I'm not even sure Stevie would crack the Top 5.

If the argument is that Stevie was more popular with the public than Lindsey and Christine and so her staying to grace those slugs with her magical presence meant more than anyone else being in the band meant, well . . .

Michele
Old 08-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflake Girl View Post
I'm not sure if Stevie purposefully kept the 'best' songs to herself. There are demos of an early version of Planets of the Universe from the Rumours era for example. I think it's possibly the case that she offers them to the band and they aren't so keen, or it just doesn't work, so she keeps them for her solo work where she has more freedom.
Yes, when Stevie said she gave Lindsey her songs for SYW, she said she was surprised that he hadn't heard them before, because she just assumed he'd heard everything she'd written. Lindsey clearly knew about POTU and Sorcerer. The band had Think About It, passed on Smile At You. I think she probably did offer FM a lot of her songs -- or even if she didn't offer, the songs were available to FM. Lindsey just took The Chain. If he knew of something else she had that he wanted to work with, he would have taken that too. I don't think they were interested in a lot of her solo material.

As stellar as it is, given the chance, FM probably wouldn't have used EO17.

Michele
Old 08-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I tend to agree with you to a degree here. She should never have drug out such ancient songs as Goodbye Baby, Running Through The Garden, or Smile At You and expected them to halfway go with what Lindsey brought to the table. Say You Will was just fluff, and Silver Girl was just bad. While I'm not 100% nuts with the way Illume turned out, I absolutely LOVE the story and sentiment behind the song, and I love what the song was going for. To me, it's the only of Stevie's songs on SYW that seemed to be a true band effort... she was absolutely pushing her sound envelope, and for her this was a truly experimental track. Mick or Lindsey called it her Gold Dust Woman of the '90s, and there may be some merit to that.

On a more positive note, I can't express enough how much I ADORE Destiny Rules. I really do put it right up there with Gypsy... it's just classic Stevie through and through, and defines everything that I love about Fleetwood Mac. I love Not Make Believe nearly as much... it's a shame it didn't make the album. Thrown Down is a good effort too, but I still prefer the original 'wall of sound' take from TISL.

I think the one the we can all agree on is this: Lindsey doesn't need to bring fully finished songs to the table next time around, and Stevie needs to leave her dusty '70s and '80s demos at home! Except for If You Were My Love .
So it sounds like you at loved or at least liked strongly 4 or 5 of Stevie's songs, which is actually higher than her average contributions to FM albums. So with some drastic editing, one could make the case that Stevie's contributions to SYW were among her strongest ever. I do agree that "Silver Girl" stunk up the joint so badly that it actually negated the good songs she contributed. But then again, Stevie cannot be singled out- of all of the GoS songs he had to choose from, I think Lindsey basically took out the trash and dumped it on SYW. In an ideal world, SYW should have looked like this:

1. Someone's Gonna Change Your Mind
2. Illume
3. Down on Rodeo
4. Thrown Down
5. Red Rover
6. Destiny Rules
7. Gift of Screws
8. Say You Will
9. Right Time to Fade
10. Everybody Finds Out
11. I Am Waiting
12. Goodbye Baby