User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva View Post
It was nothing personal - most American's are notoriously ignorant when it comes to music outside their own borders, so I just assumed you were the same...

Sorry
ha that seems rude but it is kinda true. i was used to it then was talking to some german and french friends about music and would explain who they were before hand and they'd get pissed off at me for being patronising as if they didn't know but i was just used to having to explain who people are.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Not this American...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva View Post
It was nothing personal - most American's are notoriously ignorant when it comes to music outside their own borders, so I just assumed you were the same...

Sorry
at this exact moment, out of the 10 cd's laying at arms reach, 7 are European metal bands most American wouldnt have a clue about (The other 3 consist of 1 Canadian power trio not named Rush, 1 death metal band from Florida & 1 heavy metal from Seattle).

Seems a great majority of the music I delve into now is from Finland.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ANYway...

new-ish (or at least recent) music I enjoy:

Happy Apple - jazz trio that's been around since '97 or so; their last album was The Peace Between Our Companies, in 2005.

Joshua Redman - another jazz musician that's been around since the early/mid-'90s; I really only started listening to him with his last two albums, Elastic (2002) and Momentum (2005) - he's got Samuel Yahel (keyboards) and Brian Blade (a brilliant drummer who's worked with our Joni) in his group on these; both of these albums are in the funk/jazz category - kind of like a tamer version of Herbie Hancock's Headhunters album.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Für Elise
i said the arcade fire before and that song mentioned keep the car running is my absolute favourite on it. they were saying something about his singing and i know what you mean but to me he has one of those voices like tim finn wher you can't almost tell what key he's singing in but it just sounds good like that tim finn song charlie. it's almost off key but only he can pull it off and maybe this guy aswell. not a voice for everyone but it's not the standout factor cause theres so much going on in the music to keep you interested.
Tim Finn, eh? Never thought about comparing those two, I'll really have to listen to it then. I know what you mean by that pushing it to the limit of singing in key, I do like it when singers can pull that off, it creates a wonderful tension.
What put me off a little in Arcade Fire though, is that to me, it doesn't sound like he means it, the emotion he puts in his singing.
But still, musically, the band are so much more interesting that a lot of crap that's out there.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Tim Finn, eh? Never thought about comparing those two, I'll really have to listen to it then. I know what you mean by that pushing it to the limit of singing in key, I do like it when singers can pull that off, it creates a wonderful tension.
What put me off a little in Arcade Fire though, is that to me, it doesn't sound like he means it, the emotion he puts in his singing.
But still, musically, the band are so much more interesting that a lot of crap that's out there.
i think i would disagree about the part of not meaning what he's singing but its all in perception and i know some singers I've thought wer all emotion i have heard friends say they sound like they'rejust trying to sound emotional.

yeah I don't know why I immediately thought of tim finn. they're not really similar just that bit about not having that perfect voice and sounding off to many but working really well with others. like neil finn is supposed to have the beautiful voice and he sure does. anybody can listen to his voice and hear that he just has a nice voice whether it's there type or not it just works well and in key. tim finn can have people yell to turn it off but for me i love it and he can sound like he's pushing the key so much that it sounds like its going off but it works so well for me. so i don't know if they are simlar but in that aspect they are. i can upload probably my favourite split enz song charlie for you. its so beautiful to me but some say that can't listen to it cause of his voice like it sounds like he's struggling but the voice is the best part for me

http://www.sendspace.com/file/n7ne3w
Old 04-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LOVED that track, thank you!
have to listen to AF a bit more before I can say something sensible about it, I guess.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've heard of a band called Mr. Lamb and the Lambchops, but I think they are looking to change their name. They'll probably have an album done by the end of summer.....

Oh yeah, I am in that band.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really loving the band Man Man.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Paul Weller

This is not new, but I love Paul Weller's stuff, fantastic. Brilliant guy and voice. Go get stuff from him!! Also love the Style Council's Cafe Bleu record (CD ) Down the Seine is a gorgeous piece!!! Go get it!!!

Paul W.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Old 04-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

here's some new music. my friends band from sydney just toured the uk and they were produced by butch vig and I'm a huge fan of them even if he wasn't my friend. watch this clip they are really ****ing good.

I dont know which song I prefer but the second film clip is my favourite

and heres an older one of theres.

they've got some releases in australia and the uk and everyone should listen to them cause they're much better than most of the new bands out there
Old 04-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Kings Of Leon, anyone heard their last record? Really enjoying it. Not new though, as I found at from their allmusicpage
You can hear some music there too, just go to the discography.

^^btw, I really like the second clip, Elise, but what's your friend's band called?!?

and a second edit, here's one band that IS brand new, I'm really really really looking forward to their album release: Polytechnic

Last edited by Mari; 04-10-2007 at 02:51 PM..
Old 04-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
... Canadian power trio not named Rush
Would you be referring to Triumph?
Old 04-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
^^btw, I really like the second clip, Elise, but what's your friend's band called?!?
they're called the follow. here's there website http://www.thefollow.net/

i love the second song and clip, i like all but that one is the best. I say i like the first one equally because its more the first song you play to introduce the band cause its got that bit that hooks you but really the second song smashed heart is much better. they released some stuff through hmv in the uk i think.