Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl View Post
Good grief~~

This is ridiculous!!! I never thought the theories of Evolution and belief in a Supreme Diety were mutually exclusive....In MY worldview, a supreme Diety is BEHIND (and responsible for) Evolution. Sheesh.
In my world view - I think God is nature - a little Walt Whitman esq of me - and that view somewhat jives with the RCC's view, though the latter is the God controls nature.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
. . . btw, i can't read the article either. i'm too close to an open window.
DON'T JUMP - IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!!!

Also, lay off Louisiana

Seriously, I think people think evolution means we are descended from monkeys, which is not at all what it says. Evolution says that man and monkeys (all species) in their present form were not around millions of years ago. Rather, millions of years ago, a combination of environment, adaptive skills, etc., "forced" a chage in the development of the same type of being. One evolved into moneys, which then evolved into many different types and one evolved into persent day man.

In the end, it will always be a theory - at least until someone invents a time machine But, clearly, that is what went on as the overwhelming majority of the empirical evidence strongly suggests it.

And - if you are a Christian, that evolution could have been Divinely determined. So, I think the two are consistent from that vantage point.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer386 View Post
I can't believe a majority of the people didn't think it was strange that he said the country should go to war because "God told him so." What, is he a prophet too? Oh mighty prophet Bush, tell me, what has God to say about all the people killed in this ridiculous war?
house md: "If you talk to God you're religious but if God talk to you, you're psychotic!"

its true what billy connolly always says that if the average man said that god told you something they have you in the nuts house
Old 04-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
In my world view - I think God is nature - a little Walt Whitman esq of me - and that view somewhat jives with the RCC's view, though the latter is the God controls nature.
I'm more of a pantheist than anything else. Things like evolution and astrobiology fascinate the hell out of me, but unfortunately it was not taught to me in school. What little I know about it has been self-taught. It really is awe-inspiring to learn (scientifically-speaking) about how life on earth, and potentially elsewhere in the universe, came to be; it's also maddening that people are so hell-bent on destroying it, especially since a planet's ability to sustain life doesn't last forever. That, to me, is irreligious.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^^^

I agree. And, people do it in their personal lives as well.

In the end, God - or whatever anyone believes in - must be something used for happiness - not rage or waste.

Sadly, many in the world cannot see that. Personally, I think people are taught that.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read in Playboy (yeah, that's right) that tour guides at the Grand Canyon can no longer give people an estimate on how old the canyon is, because if God made it, there can't be a scientific explanation. This is since the Bush administration has been in office. I'll try to find the article...

EDIT: Not true. Apparently, they're not banned from saying anything. But the administration was pissed that the park didn't want to sell a book in the gift shop because it claimed the great flood (as in Noah's Ark) made the canyon. OK, never mind then. Carry on.

Last edited by skcin; 04-02-2007 at 02:27 PM..