Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^

I do know that - but on the actual weigh day I felt like absolute SH*T. Then I thought of the very things you said and was like...ok. .3 pounds...that's ridiculous - I'm doing well - eating right and exercising my ASS off (literally) so I just shrugged it off - chalked it up to muscle building and kept on with what I'm doing.

Now that I've got all needed WW materials - I'm thinking of stopping the meetings (I have three paid ones left)...and just doing this on my own.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley View Post
At the same time, if you'd gone after having a bad week and had LOST .3 pounds, wouldn't you be pumped?
Yeah I can also say no because that happened my third week and I was PISSED And my exact response WAS, "that's IT!?!" To which the meeting lady replied, "well at least there isn't a plus sign in front of that..."

True enough but I HATE the point whatever...
Old 10-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While having a tiny gain or loss like that is demoralizing, it only really matters to people who take the scale so seriously, which is the worst attitude and least effective way to lose weight for good. I should know, I'm one of them!! If you feel like you did everything right and your clothes feel better, then you're doing well. And taking the number on the scale so seriously is only going to screw you up and keep your focus where it shouldn't be.

Deanna- don't let it get you down. Do exactly what you did last week again this week, and I think you'll see it pay off at your next weigh in.

If you keep track for a long enough period of time, you can see patterns develop in your weight loss. I used to keep my food diaries to be able to look back at what I was doing. I used to have a two to three week low point, where I would stay the same or gain a little bit, then for the next two or three weeks I would lose a TON.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^

You're absolutely right. I do put too much stock in that scale. But I was talking to a co-worker who is into martial arts - and she was saying that when she lost a bunch of weight and toned up the difference in her weight (the actual number) was miniscule...but the outward difference was AMAZING.

So yeah I'm refocusing - and trying not to be so hung up on what that scale says. In the past I would have let that one bad weigh in lead to horrible behavior that day (and probably the next) but I didn't.

I think that signals that shift in attitude I've been trying to achieve...slowly but surely it's happening.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ITA with Hayley.

I decided against WW just because I hate keeping up with all the points and I know I'd never keep it up. Just use the scale as a guide and go more by how your clothes fit and how you look in the mirror. I see subtle changes every single day. that's. victory.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley View Post
While having a tiny gain or loss like that is demoralizing, it only really matters to people who take the scale so seriously, which is the worst attitude and least effective way to lose weight for good. I should know, I'm one of them!! If you feel like you did everything right and your clothes feel better, then you're doing well. And taking the number on the scale so seriously is only going to screw you up and keep your focus where it shouldn't be.
Oh, ITA. But that's what annoys me - WW seems to focus solely on the scale, when we all know that's not the best measurement of how you're doing.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
ITA with Hayley.

I decided against WW just because I hate keeping up with all the points and I know I'd never keep it up. Just use the scale as a guide and go more by how your clothes fit and how you look in the mirror. I see subtle changes every single day. that's. victory.
That is not for everyone, that's for sure.

And the subtle changes are what matter - they eventually add up to the big changes - and the overall looking and feeling fabulous. We'll all get there....at different times, but we'll get there!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

mmkay.

i have lost another 5 pounds so far this month, hoping to make it to 6 or 7 by nov. 1. i'm a little disappointed in myself because i know i could have lost 1- or 12 this month. i really let the colder weather get to my exercise routine. i guess its swift arrival kind of shocked me, and i really let up. bad move, and the consequences are clear! i won't be able to ride my bike as my sole cardio exercise anymore, because it's raining/snowing a lot, i started running. well, it's run/walking. it's probably the same program that jazzy's doing - couch to 5k, but i'm altering it a bit. they recommend doing 3 workouts a week, but i'm only going to do one or two, because of my extra weight and because i'm wary of doing anything too on my knees since my accident. so my new plan is ...

every day:
-cardio, whether it be biking, walking, run/walking, jumping rope (thank you amber), or an exercise dvd
-core strengthening (got a new core workout from mayo clinic)
-flexibility

and three days a week:
-strength training

still rockin' out on my diet, i don't think i need a lot of tweaking there. maybe more veggies. still feeling great. today is a strikingly beautiful fall day here, and i went for a nice bike ride. now i gotta get ready for work.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ That site is great! I think I'll add some of those into my routine.

Good for you on more loss, Carrie. I thought you looked great when I met you in Cleveland. You know, not in a gay way or anything. Not that I don't think you're hot. Never mind, we've been through this all before.

Running in theory for me is great. But I'm kind of scared. YES, I did just say I was scared of running. Sparky will be here any minute to kick my ass. I used to get really out of breath from even a short sprint, but since I started the elliptical I don't get short of breath anymore, so I'd hope that wouldn't be a problem.

I feel very uncoordinated when I run, I don't know how else to explain it. I feel like I don't know how to run - therefore, I assume that must not have good form, and I may be at risk for hurting myself. Oh, and I probably look ridiculous too. And the shoes - I've heard you really need to invest ina great pair of running shoes, but I can't really afford that. Plus, I don't want to spend a ton of money on a pair that don't work well for me.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

please paula, i know you wanna do me.

i know what you mean about feeling uncoordinated. i'm scared to death of running, even though it's completely irrational. i really enjoy doing it, tho. and i found the other night that my other cardio training really did translate to running; i had a lot more stamina than i would have just starting the program cold. as far as shoes are concerned, they can be expensive, but they don't have to be. if you're concerned about fit, you can go to roadrunnersports.com and go to perfect fit finder down at the bottom - you can put in a bunch of information about your height/weight/how far you usually run, etc, and it will suggest shoes for you. i usually don't want to spend that much on shoes, so i just pay attention to what kind of shoes they suggest and look for those elsewhere for cheaper. i got a great pair at DSW for $40. another option is to go to a shoe store that specializes in running apparel - they're very helpful and can tell you what kind of shoe you need. one of my best friends in HS is a serious runner and she taught me a lot.

btw, if you're interested, here's the program i'm doing.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^

Congrats Carrie!!! You're totally rocking this thing!

I agree on the running, Paula - I know where you're coming from. I feel like absolute sh*t when I run, I get way out of breath - and my lungs just don't like it - running is actually painful to me--even just a little - like last night I ran from my apartment to my apartment gym...and pain. That's not normal...right?

I'm rocking the workouts - 45 minutes of cardio 3 days - then 3 days of 15-30 minutes plus arms or legs...and I usually do abs every other day.

My eating continues to be my weak point, but I'm not doing as bad as I could be considering radio pledge drive means tons and tons of crap to eat...everywhere. So I'm not losing as fast as I wanted - I've come to terms with that.

So my plan now is to keep doing what I'm doing gym wise, tweak my diet a bit to step it up to the next level (still refuse to do the fake meat), and stop hoping for the numbers to show my progress...I'm going to focus on how I feel and how my clothes fit rather than on that stupid scale
Old 10-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
btw, if you're interested, here's the program i'm doing.
Oooh! Thanks...I've been doing the running thing all wrong

Still...I think for now I'll stick to eliptical and bike
Old 10-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

way to go C. I'm proud of you. and thanks for the links...I was looking for something like that.

Paula - I've known people who felt the same way. it was like they "thought" too much while running...it just didn't work. I guess the trick is to find something you can do and somewhat enjoy and that works. now that I've told you that, I have no suggestions on what those things may be.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Carrie, I'll print that out.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wha-wha-what? Down an additional pound this week, in addition to that strange pound that somehow fell off while I was downing cappucinos, eating pasta & sucking down beers last weekend in Cleveland for the Lindsey show.

Apparently, something woke my body up. I'm no longer stuck at the plateau. Down a total of 6 pounds total. And I'm still exercising regularly, which is the best part.