User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
I have 2 friends that do that...they are self-described credit card whores. I've always wondered how that is reflected on your credit, if at all. Does it bring your score down?
OK, I'll bite.
From my understanding, yes it can bring down your credit score. When I bought my second house, they were suprised that someone my age had such a high credit score... however, I was told, it could be higher. I credit card surfed for years, and never stuck with one card. I was told it looks better if you have kept at least one of your cards for years. So, I quit whoring... but I'm about to start doing it again, because (I only have 1 card) but they just raised my APR from 5.9% to 16.9%, and I'm P!SS*D off!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998
OK, I'll bite.
From my understanding, yes it can bring down your credit score. When I bought my second house, they were suprised that someone my age had such a high credit score... however, I was told, it could be higher. I credit card surfed for years, and never stuck with one card. I was told it looks better if you have kept at least one of your cards for years. So, I quit whoring... but I'm about to start doing it again, because (I only have 1 card) but they just raised my APR from 5.9% to 16.9%, and I'm P!SS*D off!
God I hate when they do that, jerks!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can't offer any advice here, just a little empathy. I too need to get my butt in gear so to speak as I am 24, still living at home, and still don't even so much as have a driver's license.
I am terrible with money but so far have not gotten myself into any serious debt, despite having four credit cards. (Not counting the Macy's and Old Navy cards.) On the other hand, I've been working pretty much full time for five years now and have almost nothing to show for it. I can't seem to put a stop to my compulsive spending and while my music and movie collections are quite impressive, my bank account balance certainly is not (A fact that is also not helped by eating at restaurants frequently, and attending events like concerts and the Renaissance Faire).
I buy a lot of my own food and do my best to lighten the burden on my family, but I know they're frustrated with me. (Though lately it's hard to really care, since I'm typically working 70+ hours a week and am only here when I'm sleeping.) Maybe someday I'll finally grow up and move out, but it's not likely to happen any time soon, since one bedroom apartments in this town run about $900 a month.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
Can't offer any advice here, just a little empathy. I too need to get my butt in gear so to speak as I am 24, still living at home, and still don't even so much as have a driver's license.
I am terrible with money but so far have not gotten myself into any serious debt, despite having four credit cards. (Not counting the Macy's and Old Navy cards.) On the other hand, I've been working pretty much full time for five years now and have almost nothing to show for it. I can't seem to put a stop to my compulsive spending and while my music and movie collections are quite impressive, my bank account balance certainly is not (A fact that is also not helped by eating at restaurants frequently, and attending events like concerts and the Renaissance Faire).
I buy a lot of my own food and do my best to lighten the burden on my family, but I know they're frustrated with me. (Though lately it's hard to really care, since I'm typically working 70+ hours a week and am only here when I'm sleeping.) Maybe someday I'll finally grow up and move out, but it's not likely to happen any time soon, since one bedroom apartments in this town run about $900 a month.
Thank you for sharing that.It'sgood toknow I'm not alone.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

are you receiving some good tips david?
my policy for years has been cash
i became tired of paying off cards
again and again...now if i dont have
the cash i dont have the luxury...it works.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Thank you for sharing that.It'sgood toknow I'm not alone.
No problem.

On a side note... that photo of you and Lindsey needs to go. It makes me extremely jealous everytime I see it. The Mick one and the Stevie ones can stay, 'cause I don't care about them. But the Lindsey one...

Edit: A word of advice about credit cards. Don't pay attention to the minimum payments. Ever notice how low those minimums are? Ever wonder why they are so low? That's because the companies know that if you pay only your minimums, you'll never get out from under them and they'll make a lot more money from you in the long run. Don't pay just the minimum. Pay as much as you can possibly afford. I personally have never made a payment less than $50 and that was only because I was unemployed. Tomorrow I will be sending a payment of $500 for one of my cards.

Last edited by Miss Vicky; 09-12-2005 at 11:07 PM..
Old 09-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No problem.

On a side note... that photo of you and Lindsey needs to go. It makes me extremely jealous everytime I see it. The Mick one and the Stevie ones can stay, 'cause I don't care about them. But the Lindsey one...
Uh-oh. A pissed off Miss Vicky isnt good. Thank you for the compliments. The Lindsey Pic was in Minneapolis on 6-20-03, and the one with Mick was in CLeveland on 5-13-03
Old 09-12-2005, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD
You know, people are being very nice to me about this. Sometimes I wonder if I'm too much of an open book, but hey, I figure if people dont care, they wont respond. But I think I'm getting a rep for that now, being the storyteller.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Try to get a boyfriend who will pay for a bunch of your stuff.
Hope that was helpful.

P.S. - I'm declaring bankruptcy this month, and I have less than $5000, or maybe a tiny bit more than $5000, in debt. Don't feel bad.
You know, not one of us is perfect. It's nice to see that you feel comfortable telling me that. Maybe I'm starting a trend.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No problem.

Edit: A word of advice about credit cards. Don't pay attention to the minimum payments. Ever notice how low those minimums are? Ever wonder why they are so low? That's because the companies know that if you pay only your minimums, you'll never get out from under them and they'll make a lot more money from you in the long run..
Right on! This month I will be paying OFF my Visa Card! Then I just have my MasterCard to reduce. That'll be hard because I use that for all my damn "online" purchases. Which are mainly from Amazon.com! What can I say? I comfort myself with DVD's, books and music! Better than drugs, eh??
Old 09-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBlackScarf
Right on! This month I will be paying OFF my Visa Card! Then I just have my MasterCard to reduce. That'll be hard because I use that for all my damn "online" purchases. Which are mainly from Amazon.com! What can I say? I comfort myself with DVD's, books and music! Better than drugs, eh??
I couldnt agree more!!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:24 AM
takenbythesky
This message has been deleted by takenbythesky.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBlackScarf
Yeah I have a rather sizeable balance on my Amazon.com Visa (which is where the $500 is going), a lot of which is from purchases at Amazon - Hell I just ordered the Elizabethtown soundtrack and Dementia 2000 - The Best of Dr. Demento from Amazon yesterday. I seem to have the same addiction as you, though Amazon's not my only "dealer," there's Ebay as well (over the last month I've spent $75 on Walter Egan memoribilia alone!) But hey... my Visa purchases give me bonus points that add up to rewards certificates that I can spend at Amazon to buy more sh*t I don't need! Isn't that wonderful?
Old 09-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
You know, people are being very nice to me about this. Sometimes I wonder if I'm too much of an open book, but hey, I figure if people dont care, they wont respond. But I think I'm getting a rep for that now, being the storyteller.
well you know i enjoy reading your words...so dont stop
Old 09-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998
OK, I'll bite.
I used to be a Credit Anaylist for American Express. Amex cards, of course, have to be paid in full each month, but they also have a revolving card- Amex Blue. Anyway, if you were late on ONE payment, Amex could (and usually did) jack your interest rate up to the default rate of whatever-it-was (23%?) People would be so outraged, and I didn't blame them!

David, here's what I'm doing to get out of debt. I obtained a copy of my FICO and I called ALL of the debtors (there were many, with debt equalling about $4k) and asked them what they would settle with me for. I have found that almost all of these companies will settle with me for half of what I owe them.

I think the fact that you're reaching out is a big step toward gaining independence and maturity. You seem like SUCH a nice person, I wish I could get my computer at home fixed so I could post more! Good luck to you~
Old 09-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD
Okay, that kick sig video is your best yet, I love it!