Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default one flew over the cuckoo's nest

Who else loves this movie.......I mean can you say enough about this movie? I watched it last night on the History channel.......I cried....I laughed....Jack Nicholson just blows me away! Not to mention the other characters! To see all those actors back then (1975), Danny Devito, too funny! Just the story line, it was so well written! Poor BBBBBBBBBBilly, all he wanted was to get laid! Nurse Rat****, damn you, you bitch! The way that McMurphy (Nicholson) and Nurse Rat**** played off of each other, superb!!!! Man I loved the chief! The ending.......my god! Loved it!
Old 12-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's one of my favorite movies. It had a profound effect on me because I can't get over how poorly the mentally ill were treated during that time, and though things are better from what I've seen, there is still such a stigma attached to being mentally ill. I remember back when I was a social work major (before I decided it just wasn't for me, plus I hated my university's social work program), I had a professor who told me mental illness is a myth, and that "those people" would be fine if we just gave them some money; that's what they really need. It's amazing how ignorant people can be. And that movie is a perfect example of how damaging bad counseling can be. (And to say that it was "bad" counseling is quite the understatement). When Billy killed himself, I was so angry. I was sitting there thinking, It's Nurse Ratched's fault, that bitch! I thought Jack Nicholson was brilliant, and his tragic fate made me cry endlessly. Some have criticized the anti-establishment message in this movie, but when the establishment is this corrupted, I say rebel! The movie really left me feeling overwhelmed--I had done so much laughing and then crying directly afterward. And this was the first time I had seen Louise Fletcher in anything--she really freaked me out. She made that character truly evil.

On another note, I know this movie really pissed off lots of fans of Kesey's book, since book and movie apparently have next to nothing in common. But that's par for the course.

Hillary
Old 12-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One of my all-time faves. "Mmm. Juicy Fruit!"
Old 12-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
On another note, I know this movie really pissed off lots of fans of Kesey's book, since book and movie apparently have next to nothing in common. But that's par for the course.
It's been YEARS since I saw the movie or read the book. I'm pretty sure I saw the movie first then read the book. I always remember them being very similar. But like I said, that's been about 10 years ago, so I could be way off. Maybe someone who remembers better can help. Either way, I remember loving both of them. Greatness to say the least.

I got to sit on on Electroconvulsive (shock) Therapy a couple of months ago and was expecting something kind of dramatic, but nope. Pretty boring. The patients get muscle relaxers and anxiety meds beforehand, so there's only an occasional twitch to see, if even that. Then afterwards the patient barely remembers anything that happened and feel great. I guess they definitely have come a long way in therapy.

Brad
Old 12-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I got to sit on on Electroconvulsive (shock) Therapy a couple of months ago and was expecting something kind of dramatic, but nope. Pretty boring. The patients get muscle relaxers and anxiety meds beforehand, so there's only an occasional twitch to see, if even that. Then afterwards the patient barely remembers anything that happened and feel great. I guess they definitely have come a long way in therapy.

Brad
Wow. They must have come a long way with that, because that's the first I've heard of it not being horribly painful. I guess the medication is much more helpful these days.

Hillary
Old 12-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

This movie is incredible. I had seen it many times years ago--back in HS I lusted Jack Nicholson...always had that thing for older men LOL. Marty and I actually just watched it again a few mos ago and we both *loved* it, the guy who played Billy was incredible... the whole cast, really is just magical. So much talent, perfect casting. Mr Cheswick, Mr Harding...the craziness of their Monoploy games ("Hotel." ) *Great* movie.

"Next woman to take me on's gonna light up like a pinball machine and pay off in silver dollars!"

Too many good quotes to mention!!

-Lis
Old 12-06-2004, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
"Next woman to take me on's gonna light up like a pinball machine and pay off in silver dollars!"

Too many good quotes to mention!!

-Lis
That was such a great line!!

I remember reading this book in grade 9 English & doing a book report on it....but I was only 14 then & didn't really care. I've seen the movie many times but last nite was the first time in a long time & I'd forgotten just how good it really was and the message of the movie was just different this time!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
...the craziness of their Monoploy games ("Hotel." ) *Great* movie.

-Lis
"For the third time, you do not have a hotel on Boardwalk!"

And you know the guy who played Billy (Brad Dourif) is Chucky in those Child's Play movies?!?

Hillary
Old 12-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
"For the third time, you do not have a hotel on Boardwalk!"
And you know the guy who played Billy (Brad Dourif) is Chucky in those Child's Play movies?!?

Hillary
"Hotel!"

Anyway, yeah I heard Brad Dourif did the Chucky stuff. I don't think I've ever seen one of those....Wasn't he in the Exorcist 3 or something also? He was so great in Cuckoo's Nest; that damn Nurse Wratched, telling his mom about him and Candy....grrr..."Billy, your mother and I are old friends. You know that."

Evil woman.

"If Mr. McMurphy doesn't wish to take his medication orally, I'm sure we can arrange for him to have it some other way."

I could just spit out line after line LOL, it's really rather sad. I had Jack Nicholson movies SO memorized in HS...

-Lis