User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default I found the patch! (TITN)

W00t!

Ok, those of you who have read some of my earlier topics know that I'm a big Christine fan, and that I like to do authentic sounding FM covers.

At first I was trying to track down what keyboards Chris used on the Tango in the Night album. From Big Love's music video, it appears she is playing a Yamaha DX7.

It's convenient for me, since I have the TX7, the 'rack' synth module version.

So, I was basically looking for that ringy-bell sounding EP she used on Everywhere and Little Lies. I decided to dig through my hundreds of DX7 sound banks. I figured that she would use something that comes with the DX7... but no... at least, not the original ones.

I started going through some banks a friend sent me... on the 3rd bank, I came across a patch called PianoBells. This patch is what I call a 'low octave' bank, where all the pitches are much lower than they should be. Up in the high octaves, it really sounded like what she used. I consulted the CD, but the music is slightly out of tune so it wasn't easy to make a fair judgement.

I finally popped in my Tango DVD (which is in tune!) and that's definitely it!
I'm so happy, and now I can do my covers which will sound very much like the original versions.

I do still have some digging to do... I have to find that Marimba like sound that's used on Little Lies' verses.

-Alex
Old 09-09-2004, 05:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Interesting stuff, Alex.
Your next mission - what is that synth sound Lindsey/Christine uses at the beginning of Little Lies, and how do they use it?? It's a really nice sound.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

I don't recall what Lindsey's using. Someone mentioned what it was in the last topic I made about this. I'd have to dig it out of the archives. And that is if they were correct.

Chris is playing a soft flute-like pad patch during that part. I had thought that opening solo was all her until a few things clicked in my head, and that previous topic, because it really does sound like 80s synth strings.