The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 09-09-2017, 12:34 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
Tiptoeing back on-topic...

I've also never been really sure about that vocal collage part in the fade-out of Everywhere, which could be constructed from fragments sung by Stevie, but could equally be made from Lindsey or even Christine.
Yes... this song sounds like she's all over the choruses... especially on the the repeat of "I wanna be with you everywheeeerrrrrre"
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-09-2017, 12:36 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 9,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
shame on you! it was Bleed To Love Her and Steal Your Heart Away.
I like Time better than SYW! There are about 6 songs I like on it, but that leaves a lot of rubbish!!! Like finding a lost diamond in a cat turd!
__________________
and Stevie Nicks was starting to lumber along like a sod-packed wheelbarrow.
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-09-2017, 12:41 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 8,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I like Time better than SYW! There are about 6 songs I like on it, but that leaves a lot of rubbish!!! Like finding a lost diamond in a cat turd!
__________________
"You know you should never believe what you read."
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-13-2017, 03:45 PM
petep9000's Avatar
petep9000 petep9000 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,406
Default

I think Lindsey took credit for the "am what I am what I am what I am..." thing in "Family Man" too, but to my ear it sounds way too much like Stevie to be a studio trick. Someone who is extremely knowledgeable about all things Stevie told me it's actually her, and he's usually right. He says it was a Lindsey-led conspiracy to try to erase her from the album, and Warner wasn't having it.

I always thought I could hear Stevie on "Mystified" too, in some parts. It sucks that it's probably not her though.

Mick's book is probably wrong about Stevie's vocals being layered into "Everywhere", I think the ghost-writer did bad research and meant "Little Lies" instead. The background vocals on "Everywhere", like "Mystified", are a shimmering jumble of sounds, you can't specifically hear her. If she's there at all, it's still not the pronounced type of vocal like on "Little Lies" that would warrant a half page in his crappy book.

Stevie's accounts are troubling though. At one point she was blaming her absence from TITN on klonopin, but if she started that drug in 1986 she wouldn't have been on it long enough to cause the type of lethargy and not giving a **** that she was describing. That came later IMO, with BTM and OSOTM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 1,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I think Lindsey took credit for the "am what I am what I am what I am..." thing in "Family Man" too, but to my ear it sounds way too much like Stevie to be a studio trick. Someone who is extremely knowledgeable about all things Stevie told me it's actually her, and he's usually right. He says it was a Lindsey-led conspiracy to try to erase her from the album, and Warner wasn't having it.

I always thought I could hear Stevie on "Mystified" too, in some parts. It sucks that it's probably not her though.

Mick's book is probably wrong about Stevie's vocals being layered into "Everywhere", I think the ghost-writer did bad research and meant "Little Lies" instead. The background vocals on "Everywhere", like "Mystified", are a shimmering jumble of sounds, you can't specifically hear her. If she's there at all, it's still not the pronounced type of vocal like on "Little Lies" that would warrant a half page in his crappy book.

Stevie's accounts are troubling though. At one point she was blaming her absence from TITN on klonopin, but if she started that drug in 1986 she wouldn't have been on it long enough to cause the type of lethargy and not giving a **** that she was describing. That came later IMO, with BTM and OSOTM.
I always believed the Stevie part on Family man was added after Stevie made a fuss about not being on the album. I think its an obvious layer added late in the process.
Everywhere is like Don't Come Around Here No More. I swear I hear Stevie on both songs but there are many that don't hear her on either song.
__________________
Let's go Buck/McVie
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 09-13-2017, 05:57 PM
pwyll pwyll is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Yes... this song sounds like she's all over the choruses... especially on the the repeat of "I wanna be with you everywheeeerrrrrre"
She is not on that song at all. What you think you hear is really Lindsey doing his thing.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 PM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,481
Default

If you guys want to hear these manipulated voices
you should listen to the extended remixes.

For me they're a hard listen.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-13-2017, 10:17 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwyll View Post
She is not on that song at all. What you think you hear is really Lindsey doing his thing.
exactly, that was my point!

I don't hear her or any manipulation that is supposed to sound like her on Everywhere though. Or Family Man.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-14-2017, 10:32 AM
petep9000's Avatar
petep9000 petep9000 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,406
Default

Then I think you need to give "Family Man" another listen. While I have no doubt Lindsey did some trickery, I'm absolutely convinced that the genesis of the "am what I am what I am what I am...." bridge started with a creaky Stevie vocal which he then manipulated. It just needed to be one line, really- then he just played with it to make it repeat and change key.

I'm also in full agreement with my well-informed friend that Lindsey was insanely jealous of Stevie's solo career and would have gladly excluded her from everything, were it not for Warner DEMANDING a big Stevie single and visibility in videos.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 1,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
Then I think you need to give "Family Man" another listen. While I have no doubt Lindsey did some trickery, I'm absolutely convinced that the genesis of the "am what I am what I am what I am...." bridge started with a creaky Stevie vocal which he then manipulated. It just needed to be one line, really- then he just played with it to make it repeat and change key.

I'm also in full agreement with my well-informed friend that Lindsey was insanely jealous of Stevie's solo career and would have gladly excluded her from everything, were it not for Warner DEMANDING a big Stevie single and visibility in videos.
C'mon now, its ok to be a huge Stevie fan but facts are facts.
While her band was in the studio recording Tango, Stevie went on a drug binged tag along tour with Petty in Australia. She then toured herself and eventually ended up in rehab only to emerge when Tango was almost finished.
NO WAY any of this is Lindsey's fault or making. He actually handled the situation pretty well considering what he had to deal with. Was he jealous of her solo career? Probably ......but that does not explain or justify her absence from the Tango sessions.
Stevie herself stated the times she did show up, she was late and it aggravated Lindsey and probably the rest of the band. Christine had a right to lash out at Stevie for wanting to include her on tracks but guess what.....Stevie was not there.
Welcome to the forum Petep.....
Its not home and its not Tara
__________________
Let's go Buck/McVie

Last edited by Macfan4life : 09-14-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-14-2017, 05:19 PM
petep9000's Avatar
petep9000 petep9000 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,406
Default

Thanks for the welcome, although I've been here since 2001.

Anyway, I'm perfectly willing to agree to disagree, I'm not that kind of Stevie fan who can't handle another opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-15-2017, 09:51 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
Thanks for the welcome, although I've been here since 2001.

Anyway, I'm perfectly willing to agree to disagree, I'm not that kind of Stevie fan who can't handle another opinion.
Then I welcome you with big hugging arms!!! That's a rarity.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-18-2017, 04:05 AM
BlueLantern BlueLantern is offline
Junior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
Default

I thought similar to others re: Family Man -- that "am what i am, what i am, what i am" descension -- definitely Lindsey doing some "Stevie twisting" on his own vocals, and he did it in a 'cards on the table' way - showed the listener how it's his voice at first and then it gets gradually altered.

I remember feeling concern when I first heard "When I See You Again." I was a 19 year old college kid, listening to Tango on cassette in my dorm room. I was a big fan of the band even then and remember thinking, worried, "Christ, if this was the best they could get out of her, she ain't well." The vocals reminded me of the weak/fragile voice on some of "Rock A Little" (the title track, and "I Sing for the Things") the year before, but even weaker, and there had been a story or two in the news about her addiction/rehab struggles.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 09-21-2017, 06:52 PM
petep9000's Avatar
petep9000 petep9000 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,406
Default

Some of us liked Rock a Little-era vocals, both recorded and on that hairy tour. It's what came afterwards (OSOTM and BTM) that makes me shudder.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 09-22-2017, 11:18 PM
StevieandChris StevieandChris is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
Some of us liked Rock a Little-era vocals, both recorded and on that hairy tour. It's what came afterwards (OSOTM and BTM) that makes me shudder.
Do people who do not enjoy TOSOTM truly not like Rooms On Fire, Long Way to Go, Ooh My Love, Ghosts, Alice, Juliet, and Doing the Best I Can????
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

1976 Press Photo Carol Burnett & Billy Wilder - cvp77031
$27.88
1976 Press Photo Carol Burnett & Billy Wilder - cvp77031 picture1920 Elizabeth Burnett & Billy Peasley Fill Salvation Army Barrel Press Photo
$20.0
1920 Elizabeth Burnett & Billy Peasley Fill Salvation Army Barrel Press Photo picture1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo
$20.0
1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo picturePress Photo Billy Burnette, Guitarist - spp41773
$19.88
Press Photo Billy Burnette, Guitarist - spp41773 picture1985 Press Photo Billy Burnette, rock guitarist, singer, and songwriter.
$18.88
1985 Press Photo Billy Burnette, rock guitarist, singer, and songwriter. picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved