Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 06:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Default Brexit vote

I know this is a topic in the USA General Election thread but it deserves its own thread.
Curious to hear from our fellow Brit members. This is my opinion and my opinion is just as good as those talking blood heads on the television. Short term its going to have a big negative impact. London is going to lose many financial jobs. Its going to be a long 5 years to stability and maybe a decade to fully transition. Long term this may just work out especially since other countries are probably going to leave. It could be one of those situations that its best to go first and get it over with. The refugee crisis and immigration no doubt was a HUGE reason for the exit vote. I think that trumped any short term financial losses the country will face. I also believe there is another world economic crisis coming that could halt further exits as fear sets in or it could accelerate more countries leaving.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I know this is a topic in the USA General Election thread but it deserves its own thread.
Curious to hear from our fellow Brit members. This is my opinion and my opinion is just as good as those talking blood heads on the television. Short term its going to have a big negative impact. London is going to lose many financial jobs. Its going to be a long 5 years to stability and maybe a decade to fully transition. Long term this may just work out especially since other countries are probably going to leave. It could be one of those situations that its best to go first and get it over with. The refugee crisis and immigration no doubt was a HUGE reason for the exit vote. I think that trumped any short term financial losses the country will face. I also believe there is another world economic crisis coming that could halt further exits as fear sets in or it could accelerate more countries leaving.

Thanks for starting a new thread. Yes I spent all morning trying to convince myself of the positives. And I also almost got into a disagreement with my neighbour over this issue. Hopefully it'll all work out and there won't any major disasters. But I can't help but relate to what the writer of this article talks about. ​

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...oisoned-racism

After this vote the UK is diminished, our politics poisoned

Gary Younge

During the campaign the very worst impulses were given free rein and voice. Britain is not greater for this decision but smaller, weaker and more vulnerable

‘Britain is no more sovereign today than it was yesterday. We have left the EU but we remain within the neoliberal system.’ Photograph: Hannah Mckay/EPA

In the end those who placed their faith in the “experts” were always going to be disappointed. The pollsters were wrong; the currency traders were wrong; the pundits were confounded. People who did not feel they had been heard have not just spoken. Given a one-off chance to tell the world what they think of how they are governed they have screamed a piercing cry of alienation and desperation.

Given the choice between the status quo and change (changing something, anything) Britain voted for change. It got its wish. This will change everything. As the pound plummets, stock markets dive, SNP leader, Nicola Sturgeon, hints at a new referendum for Scottish independence and Sinn Féin revives the question of Irish unity, we enter a period of volatility without precedent or comparison.

Like the dog that chases the car only to amaze itself by catching it, those who campaigned for Brexit own what comes next. There were sound reasons why some people rejected the European Union. Sadly none of them made it to the mainstream. Instead leave unleashed a range of demons and then refused to face them honestly, preferring instead to wade to the finish line through a toxic swamp of post-colonial nostalgia, xenophobia and general disaffection.

Britain is no more sovereign today than it was yesterday. We have left the EU but we remain within the neoliberal system. Left to the mercy of the markets we are arguably now less capable of directing our affairs than we were. We are not independent. We are simply isolated. (full article above)
Old 06-24-2016, 07:19 AM

This morning I was surprised to hear that Britain actually exited UE, because here the news always talked of the situation as a sterile threat. However I was surprised but not shocked, as I've always thought that the fact Britain kept Pound, refusing to adopt Euro as currency meant this was not a true membership from the start.
Sadly most of the voters must have voted for fear of immigration, but this doesn't stop immigration at all, it puts a stop to legal immigration only. And there are countries like Italy that simply can't stop immigration, people will keep on trying to face the ocean with a rubber, with many dying in the process, and just arrive at our shores day after day in every place.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm absolutely stunned. Scotland only just rejected independence last time. Knowing they voted overwhelmingly to remain in the European union I can't see any justification for them remaining part of the UK anymore. It might sound alarmist to say it but this is the start of the end of the UK as a single country. It feels like everything I'v. Ever known is about to change
Old 06-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I had feared this result, but hoped against hope that this wouldn't happen. My fellow countrymen and women have made a mistake of staggering stupidity borne of ignorance and wilful malicious untruths propogated by the Leave campaign and UKIP.

I watched the results through the night, fleetingly bouyed by signs of an upswing for Remain but it was not to be. Though never a Conservative, I finally broke into tears as David Cameron anounced his resignation, whilst screaming internally at his decision to promise the referendum in the first place.

And then, that insult to humanity, Donald J Trump, waltzed across his golf course in Scotland, that great nation at risk of being removed from the EU against her will and declaims "it's a great thing, it's a great thing."

America, you have been warned.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
I had feared this result, but hoped against hope that this wouldn't happen. My fellow countrymen and women have made a mistake of staggering stupidity borne of ignorance and wilful malicious untruths propogated by the Leave campaign and UKIP.

I watched the results through the night, fleetingly bouyed by signs of an upswing for Remain but it was not to be. Though never a Conservative, I finally broke into tears as David Cameron anounced his resignation, whilst screaming internally at his decision to promise the referendum in the first place.

And then, that insult to humanity, Donald J Trump, waltzed across his golf course in Scotland, that great nation at risk of being removed from the EU against her will and declaims "it's a great thing, it's a great thing."

America, you have been warned.
"We The People" declared our independence from Brittan over 200 years ago and are doing quite well...
Old 06-24-2016, 10:00 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
"We The People" declared our independence from Brittan over 200 years ago and are doing quite well...
hold that thought until November 9 th
Old 06-24-2016, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
hold that thought until November 9 th
Old 06-24-2016, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mr Cameron by holding this referendum has at one stroke cut the UK off from its nearest neighbours and could result in the break up of the Union with Scotland.
The vote was held as Cameron had to appease the right wing faction of his party and promised a referendum in his manifesto , which won him and the conservatives the last UK election.
The people who voted, in a democratic vote, believe they will get a fairer system in the UK.
Mr Cameron will now be replaced by a more right wing Prime Minister and the government itself will become more right wing.
......Dark days ahead......
Old 06-24-2016, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

...Sorry to go on, but its still very raw.

...On a lighter note...GLASTONBURY is on catch it on the BBC..
Old 06-24-2016, 11:12 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
I'm sure that's a pretty song , and after seeing Dan Rather interview with him I have a lot of respect for Mr Charlie Daniels but here are some facts on health and education

http://thepatientfactor.com/canadian...ealth-systems/

# 37 health

http://www.mbctimes.com/english/20-b...-systems-world

# 14

GOOGLE search :

Which country in the world has the most freedom?

According to the Index, the freest nations in the world are, in order: Hong Kong, Switzerland, Finland, Denmark, New Zealand, Canada, Australia, Ireland, United Kingdom and Sweden. The United States is the only English-speaking country to rank outside the top 10.Aug 19, 2015

Last edited by olive; 06-24-2016 at 11:22 AM..
Old 06-24-2016, 11:14 AM
Registered

they're like trump supporters no clue

The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...g-to-leave-it/
Old 06-24-2016, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As I went to bed last night Remain in was higher then get out.I'm surprised that went the other way to get out.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 06-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Can't blame David Cameron really for giving the people the chance to decide.
The blame lays squarely with that useless lump Jeremy Corbyn and his cronies. He did nothing for the 'Remain' campaign. The Tory vote was always going to be split but in the end it was labour voters that swung to 'Leave'. The only notable labour politician to show any passion was Sadiq Khan.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

PS
I see Nigel Farage is already backtracking over the 'Leave' pledge to use £350million per week EU money for the NHS...
'on reflection that was probably a mistake'.
What the 'uck have we done?
Closed Thread