Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default I have a thought about ''goodbye baby''

Is it possible that this song was written about stevie's
abortion in the 70's?
Old 09-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well of course that is possible...since the song was written in the 70s...by the way they played this song on ONE LIFE TO LIVE today someone told me, isnt that one of Stevie's fav. soaps?

Chris
Old 09-09-2003, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes it was played promenantly on OLTL today. That is one of Stevie's "shows." I recall her saying she liked all the ABC soaps,

The scene involved the character putting the Say You Will CD into her stereo and playing the song. It was not just background music. They did not mention FM by name, but I'm sure most casual viewers could recognize that it was Stevie singing
Old 09-10-2003, 08:42 AM
Ledgie

I heard somewhere or read somewhere that this song could possibly be about her songs "her child" being taken from her to a music studio maybe "tower" and no longer being hers as they are being changed. It does and it doesn't make any sense to me....
Old 09-10-2003, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I understand that, but it's definetly about abortion "I who went to sleep in two, woke up in one"

"Being in this band really f**** up relationships with chicks."
-Lindsey Buckingham

"Lindsey and I were as close to married as I'll probably ever be. I took care of him, I cooked for him, I ironed his jeans, I adored him."
-Stevie Nicks

"Quite frankly, I think I can presume on Stevie's behalf that she wasn't too sad seeing Lindsey go."
-Mick Fleetwood

"I play bass."
-John McVie.

I love this band.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

well the lyric is "and i who went to sleep AS two, woke up as ONE" so yeah it does make sense..

Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My thought...

...Stevie's songs are almost never about one thing. Remember, this was assumed to part of her 'Rhiannon' project also. Rhiannon's baby was kidnapped as she gave birth and she was accused of murdering it.

So there you go, interesting parallel...

Randy
Old 09-10-2003, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gjack5404
I heard somewhere or read somewhere that this song could possibly be about her songs "her child" being taken from her to a music studio maybe "tower" and no longer being hers as they are being changed. It does and it doesn't make any sense to me....
As far as I know, I came up with that one. It makes sense to me. But, I think this song's original lyrics are about Rhainnon and the stolen baby. But, a la Stevie, the words are unsuprisingly vague For example, the phrase in the original demo I have goes :and when you hold yourself and know that there were two and now only you remain" - that could be about a lost child, but it also could be about lying in bed and holding yourself and realizing before you broke with your lover there were two people in that bed and now only you remain. I love Stevie and her vagueness!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-10-2003, 11:00 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
but it also could be about lying in bed and holding yourself and realizing before you broke with your lover there were two people in that bed and now only you remain. I love Stevie and her vagueness!!!!
i always thought and assumed that's what she meant....she wrote the song in 1976 right? i thought the supposed abortions weren't till later....i hate even talking about that subject regarding Stevie....it's just way too personal information for me....never really wanted to know that....anyway, i basically thought it was about a breakup.....as usual!
Old 09-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel the song, while it does have Rhiannon influences, is definitely about a personal experience with losing a child. Just my $0.02.

Im alone now, with my thoughts...
Old 09-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

IF it is about a break-up, that can only be one around 76, isn't it. So Lindsey's probably right when he assumes that there are songS adressed to him on this album. Thrown down, GB, and... (fill in please...)

gerald

Old 09-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's about the loss of a child. I think it's pretty obvious and the song is very straight-forward. I think that because Stevie writes very vague songs and songs that have multiple meanings, people read into the song a *bit* too much. I don't think it's anywhere near as complex or deep or vague as others. I just think it's about an abortion and the resulting break-up from her lover because of it.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by ShangriLaTroubl
well the lyric is "and i who went to sleep AS two, woke up as ONE" so yeah it does make sense..

Chris
I have a terrible memory. Thank you.

"Being in this band really f**** up relationships with chicks."
-Lindsey Buckingham

"Lindsey and I were as close to married as I'll probably ever be. I took care of him, I cooked for him, I ironed his jeans, I adored him."
-Stevie Nicks

"Quite frankly, I think I can presume on Stevie's behalf that she wasn't too sad seeing Lindsey go."
-Mick Fleetwood

"I play bass."
-John McVie.

I love this band.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:19 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Mary QOS

I visited Scotland recently, and saw the house where Mary Queen of Scots lived. I t struck me that 'Goodbye baby' might have something to do with her story.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i think it's one of the weakest tracks on Say You Will. The album would have been so much stronger if it ended with Say Goodbye - one of Lindsey's finest.

i also think Goodbye Baby was a terrible way to end the current tour setlist. Very anti-climatic when you stack it up against the rest of the set. There are so many others that would have been a better choice - I think Crystal would have been pretty incredible to end the concert with....