User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Say Goodbye? Yes. Lindsey's taken a page out of Stevie's handbook and is lying instead of just evading, bless. He was previously very clear on when it was written - after 'taking leave of the band' a long time ago. He's just retconned it, saying it was 'written' for SYW recently when that was merely when FM recorded it. I have my thoughts on why he's done this but *shrugs*. Either way, the changing meaning of the song (well, the changing explanation of the song) amuses me A LOT. I mean, closure isn't a new thing though back in 2003 it was the 'beginning' of closure they were getting, lol. From memory, so forgive error.

The very first show of the year Stevie told us she loves singing it with him and Lindsey started up with his talk about how it represents closure and so on, also informing us that it's funny because he and Stevie are probably closer than they've been since the early seventies. Nice to know...

So as the tour progressed we go from lots of CLOSURE CLOSURE CLOSURE to talk to Say Goodbye being about:
- needing illusions in order to dream
- needing to cast away illusions in order to grow
(Well, did she make you cry,
Make you break down,
Shatter your illusions of love?)
- acceptance
- faith
- resolve for the future

As he said in an interview "All those illusions have fallen away, but that doesn't mean that there isn't resolve and hope and belief in the future in a different context."

I do so love a good evolution in explanation... My favourite, however, was this fun one back when it was still about getting closure in Philly.

"This is a song I wrote about Stevie maybe 10 years ago and, uh, it's about closure. As much as the (?) dialogue between the two of us can be *laughs* (?) and I think we're still trying to find it, right? (?) Or maybe we're not. I don't know. Anyway, it's incredible after all this time that there (?) seem to be a few chapters here between these two people. I don't understand. *laughs*

Okay, first of all Lindsey, you write this in 1987 according to other tours... Also, you were writing about getting closure in your r'ship with Stevie back in 1987 but thought it's time was right in 2003 and yet you STILL think you guys are trying to find that closure in 2013. Except NOT. Because 'MAYBE WE'RE NOT. I DON'T KNOW'. UM, WTF? So, you don't think you ever found that closure and perhaps you're not even bothering to try and get that closure anymore? EMBRACE THAT LOVE, GUYS.

#lovefest2013

-

While I'm putting my few cents worth on this thread, have at this. Basically it started months and months ago when I noted some fun lyrical repetitions on Seeds We Sow. We know Lindsey likes to talk about he and Stevie dialoguing in song and he's said many of his songs are about her. So...

Had a dream that you reached for me in the night / Touched me soft and slow
Everything was wrong but everything was right / Oh, the seeds we sow

Fire still burning, in a while she’ll make it rain / These rooms are all falling down, they couldn’t stand the strain
And the same old dream, she was hiding outside my door / She used to come from time to time but not any more

I wake up in the middle of the night / With you in my heart / With you in my heart
I can’t touch you any more / It causes you harm

When you’re waiting for your ocean to rise / All alone at night long after I’ve gone
And your conversations all end in lies / And you wake up singing one of my songs

-

By theme/word. Basically, I've included stuff from Lindsey's last three albums (including covers), from Stevie's TISL and IYD and then FM's SYW and the EP.

HIDING/DOOR/ROOM
GREAT DAY (gift of screws)
The currents they caught her / Hiding in my room
IN OUR OWN TIME (seeds we sow)
And the same old dream, she was hiding outside my door / She used to come from time to time but not any more
THROWN DOWN (say you will)
You can sit outside his door and wait / Well, you can dedicate your pain to him

DREAMS
UNDERGROUND (gift of screws)
I go to my lover we lay on our bed / Did I sell my heart for the dreams in my head?
DID YOU MISS ME (gift of screws)
Did you miss me in the evening? / When everyone is bound to dream
SHUT US DOWN (under the skin)
Oh you and I we sure can dream / Of conversations that might have been
CAST AWAY DREAMS (under the skin)
Magic one / All our dreams are done / I have no faith today
Hearts will break / With choices we must make / So sleep and dream of me
UNDER THE SKIN (under the skin)
Lay your head down no one will see / Cry me a river of new dreams float yourself free
SHOW YOU HOW (under the skin)
You can float downstream let the past be the past / You can wake up from a dream and find your other half
MISS FANTASY (extended play)
I had another dream of you last night / sailing on a sea of blue
EVERYBODY LOVES YOU (in your dreams)
She was so unaffected / By his dream
For his dream of her / Was just not possible

OCEAN/SEA
Mirrors in her eyes / She was wet she was soaking
Ashes in the ocean / And her heart was broken
When you’re waiting for your ocean to rise / All alone at night long after I’ve gone
TREASON (gift of screws)
Deep down in the ocean deep down in the sea / Saw your face full of grace searching for me
I took a trip out of town / A hundred years underground
I had to swim across the sea / When you were my baby
You can float downstream let the past be the past / You can wake up from a dream and find your other half
BOMBAY SAPPHIRES (trouble in shangri-la)
The sea never changes - not really / It is the constant in my life
I always return here / To the flash of those colors

PLANS
Holy light, visionary sight / There’s been a change in plans
Going away / No, I cannot stay / I hope you understand
She was so enchanted by his voice / She was so shaken by his words
His plan for her… / Was just not possible / She had no words…

GOOD/GREAT DAY
It was a great day, great day
ROCK AWAY BLIND (seeds we sow)
Cast your fate, we’ve all found a way / As they say, it’s another good day

RULES
The day was dark and burning / All the time we were learning
The rules concerning / Of the corner we were turning
DESTINY RULES (say we will)
It’s not being together, / It’s just following the rules
No one’s a fool…

CRIME
A wish that is walking / Is just a crime scene talking
If it’s a plea that you’re copping / It’s just a door that you’re locking
I keep walking on this heart of mine / I could go crazy without even trying / Fleeing the scene of the crime
Nothing here remains, just a vision of her face / The implications of a crime, it always takes the place

WHITE AND BLUE/CLUES
I see clues that you leave behind / White or blue, I know it can’t be mine / I want to look for what I might find
I can see past you - to the white sand… / It is blue / It is not about you
It is all true / You know—who I am
You’re the queen of the underground / Never leaving a clue
RED ROVER (say you will)
And the lips you were kissing night after night / All were bathed in blue, all bathed in white

LINE CROSSING/TIME
Wouldn’t make any difference / We crossed the line
IT TAKES TIME (extended play)
Slow down, baby / Cross that line

WRONG/RIGHT
Freedom is someone to know / There is no right or wrong anymore
SEEDS WE SOW (seeds we sow)
Touched me soft and slow / Everything was wrong but everything was right

UNDERGROUND
I think I might wander underground
LOVE RUNS DEEPER (gift of screws)
Black angel can’t be alone / Love runs deeper from the underground

NOT TOO LATE
THE RIGHT PLACE TO FADE (gift of screws)
Waiting for the light that might light our way / Waiting for the right place to fade / I swear I swear I swear it’s not too late
NOT TOO LATE (seeds we sow)
What am I doing anyway / Telling myself it’s not too late

PARALLEL
How you mystified / Just a blinding flash / We were parallel lines
DESTINY RULES (say you will)
Maybe we were together in another life / Maybe we are together in a parallel universe

SHOW YOU HOW
Look at us now / The years fall down / Show me how
SHOW YOU HOW (seeds we sow)
Come ‘round and get me, I’ll show you, show you, show you how

DROWN
DOWN ON RODEO (under the skin)
Faces of glass all hung in the past / They only come here to drown
It would do no good / To drown in the sea
Where no one remembers their name / And nothing but nothing is free

LIES
SAY GOODBYE (say you will)
It’s so hard to find your way / When the lies come around
STEAL YOUR HEART AWAY (say you will)
And the lie was creeping / Down, down, down / While we were sleeping

DANCE/CHANCES/TIME/CHANGING MINDS
We never took quite enough chances / We never had quite enough time
I did about a thousand dances / But nothing would change your mind
SAY YOU WILL (say you will)
Say you will, say you will give me one more chance / At least give me time to change your mind
That always seems to heal the wounds, if I can / Get you to dance
And there’s a need for songs that are sung / For chances not taken for deeds not yet done

FAITH
You’ve shaken your faith in me, no / You’ve shaken my faith in everything else
A decision no one makes, and now you’re going home / Faith is a hard thing to hold on to
Something inside you says I don’t have to

MAGIC
YOU MAY BE THE ONE (in your dreams)
You were an angel / And I was a starving child / And we were…magic…

PASSION
I know it’s hard being so hard to find / Your passion swallows you whole deaf dumb and blind
CHEAPER THAN FREE (in your dreams)
Better than fashion? High passion.
It’s there every day / It’s passion never fades / You know what I mean

SLOW DOWN
She said slow down baby, slow down now
MOONLIGHT (A VAMPIRE’S DREAM) (in your dreams)
He slows down / He’s so desperate to stop her / Meet her in the middle

SAVE/SURVIVE
If you want to save me / It takes time
FALL FROM GRACE (trouble in shangri-la)
Maybe the reason I say these things / Is to bring you back alive
Maybe I fought this long and this hard / Just to make sure you survive

LINGER
And the shadow singer will stand and linger in places no one ever goes
Would you still love to linger up against the wall?

MEMORY
It may be you don’t remember me / but I remember you
Forget me not, he says / I’m so afraid

FEAR
Come along lay down and talk to me / Tell me all your fear will allow
It doesn’t matter who we thought we were / We ain’t got time for that now
LOVE CHANGES (trouble in shangri-la)
When he was loving I was in tears / He knows my fears
He says, there’s no fear in your eyes / Tell me another lie…

STRAIN
Fire still burning, in a while she’ll make it rain
These rooms are all falling down, they couldn’t stand the strain
EVERY DAY (trouble in shangri-la)
Don’t give me visions to explain / There are no doubts I feel the strain
BRAVO Nichole you definitely did your research.

Last edited by Deeshere; 01-03-2014 at 08:32 PM..
Old 01-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember reading an interview with Kristen where she talks about meeting Lindsey for the first time & she said she knew who he was... And that he was in Fleetwood Mac, etc etc. Even if she didn't know all his history with Stevie up front I'm sure he had some explaining to do... So Kristen knew what she was getting into. And obviously the Stevie thing did not come between them... After all, Kristen & Lindsey have been together for how many years? if Stevie was going to come between them, seems like it woulda happened by now.
During the past three tours there have been questionable Stevie & Lindsey shipper stage moments- with this tour being the one with the most love & affection shared on stage...but Lindsey still goes home to Kristen & the kids & he's probably pretty happy with that. Also it doesn't seem like Stevie & Lindsey keep in close contact in between tours... So Lindsey is back to his real life with the wife & kids for years between tours. Kristen could put her foot down if she wasn't happy with Lindsey's relationship with Stevie...resulting in either him quitting Fleetwood Mac or him quitting her. Once again, neither of those things has happened...

Now on the Stevie end of things- she has mentioned how much she adores Lindsey's children & I'd bet money that she shows Kristen a great deal of kindness & doesn't try to intimidate her... Stevie just doesn't seem like the type (now at least- when she was younger yeah probably). She may have a little streak of that in her every now & then so I have wondered if sometimes she says things about Lindsey just because she can... Because she is Stevie Nicks! And darn it, she coulda had Lindsey if she wanted him- but she broke up with him...If she had ever really really really wanted him back, she probably could of had him. It might have taken a little more effort after he got with Kristen but Stevie could have made it happen.

As far as Lindsey's kids...well, if I found out my dad used to date Stevie Nicks (like a million years ago) I would think it was the coolest thing ever! But at the ages Lindsey's kids are now- they probably wouldn't think much about it. The only person their dad is with now is their mom. Thats what they know.

Of course this is all just my opinion on the matter.. For what its worth...

He asked me for my love
And that was all
Old 01-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I heard about Phil Everly today, I thought of Stevie and Lindsey.

Michele
Old 01-04-2014, 12:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Say Goodbye? Yes. Lindsey's taken a page out of Stevie's handbook and is lying instead of just evading, bless. He was previously very clear on when it was written - after 'taking leave of the band' a long time ago. He's just retconned it, saying it was 'written' for SYW recently when that was merely when FM recorded it. I have my thoughts on why he's done this but *shrugs*. Either way, the changing meaning of the song (well, the changing explanation of the song) amuses me A LOT. I mean, closure isn't a new thing though back in 2003 it was the 'beginning' of closure they were getting, lol. From memory, so forgive error.

The very first show of the year Stevie told us she loves singing it with him and Lindsey started up with his talk about how it represents closure and so on, also informing us that it's funny because he and Stevie are probably closer than they've been since the early seventies. Nice to know...

So as the tour progressed we go from lots of CLOSURE CLOSURE CLOSURE to talk to Say Goodbye being about:
Make you break down,
- acceptance
- faith
- resolve for the future

As he said in an interview "All those illusions have fallen away, but that doesn't mean that there isn't resolve and hope and belief in the future in a different context."

I do so love a good evolution in explanation... My favourite, however, was this fun one back when it was still about getting closure in Philly.

"This is a song I wrote about Stevie maybe 10 years ago and, uh, it's about closure. As much as the (?) dialogue between the two of us can be *laughs* (?) and I think we're still trying to find it, right? (?) Or maybe we're not. I don't know. Anyway, it's incredible after all this time that there (?) seem to be a few chapters here between these two people. I don't understand. *laughs*

Okay, first of all Lindsey, you write this in 1987 according to other tours... Also, you were writing about getting closure in your r'ship with Stevie back in 1987 but thought it's time was right in 2003 and yet you STILL think you guys are trying to find that closure in 2013. Except NOT. Because 'MAYBE WE'RE NOT. I DON'T KNOW'. UM, WTF? So, you don't think you ever found that closure and perhaps you're not even bothering to try and get that closure anymore? EMBRACE THAT LOVE, GUYS.

#lovefest2013

-

While I'm putting my few cents worth on this thread, have at this. Basically it started months and months ago when I noted some fun lyrical repetitions on Seeds We Sow. We know Lindsey likes to talk about he and Stevie dialoguing in song and he's said many of his songs are about her. So...

Fire still burning, in a while she’ll make it rain / These rooms are all falling down, they couldn’t stand the strain

I wake up in the middle of the night / With you in my heart / With you in my heart

And your conversations all end in lies / And you wake up singing one of my songs

-

By theme/word. Basically, I've included stuff from Lindsey's last three albums (including covers), from Stevie's TISL and IYD and then FM's SYW and the EP.

HIDING/DOOR/ROOM

DREAMS
I go to my lover we lay on our bed / Did I sell my heart for the dreams in my head?
Lay your head down no one will see / Cry me a river of new dreams float yourself free

OCEAN/SEA
TREASON (gift of screws)
Deep down in the ocean deep down in the sea / Saw your face full of grace searching for me

PLANS

GOOD/GREAT DAY

RULES
No one’s a fool…

CRIME
I keep walking on this heart of mine / I could go crazy without even trying / Fleeing the scene of the crime
Nothing here remains, just a vision of her face / The implications of a crime, it always takes the place

WHITE AND BLUE/CLUES
I see clues that you leave behind / White or blue, I know it can’t be mine / I want to look for what I might find
RED ROVER (say you will)
And the lips you were kissing night after night / All were bathed in blue, all bathed in white

LINE CROSSING/TIME

WRONG/RIGHT

UNDERGROUND

NOT TOO LATE
Waiting for the light that might light our way / Waiting for the right place to fade / I swear I swear I swear it’s not too late

PARALLEL
Maybe we were together in another life / Maybe we are together in a parallel universe

SHOW YOU HOW

DROWN

LIES

Say you will, say you will give me one more chance / At least give me time to change your mind
And there’s a need for songs that are sung / For chances not taken for deeds not yet done

FAITH
A decision no one makes, and now you’re going home / Faith is a hard thing to hold on to

MAGIC

PASSION
I know it’s hard being so hard to find / Your passion swallows you whole deaf dumb and blind

SLOW DOWN

SAVE/SURVIVE

LINGER

MEMORY

FEAR

STRAIN

Wow, thank you for that. It is very impressive research. And certainly very interesting. I loved reading all of it.
It really is a very interesting conundrum??????? Would that be the right word to describe this situation?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
When I heard about Phil Everly today, I thought of Stevie and Lindsey.

Michele
Me too Sorry to hear of his passing.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Ledgie

Quote:

Make you break down,
- acceptance
- faith
- resolve for the future

#lovefest2013

-

-

HIDING/DOOR/ROOM

DREAMS

OCEAN/SEA
TREASON (gift of screws)

PLANS

GOOD/GREAT DAY

RULES
No one’s a fool…

CRIME

WHITE AND BLUE/CLUES
RED ROVER (say you will)

LINE CROSSING/TIME

WRONG/RIGHT

UNDERGROUND

NOT TOO LATE

PARALLEL

SHOW YOU HOW

DROWN

LIES

FAITH

MAGIC

PASSION

SLOW DOWN

SAVE/SURVIVE

LINGER

MEMORY

FEAR

STRAIN
Wow! Nice work So why do you think he changed the date of when the song was written?

Megan
Old 01-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodmeg View Post
Wow! Nice work So why do you think he changed the date of when the song was written?

Megan
He changed the date because the dates changed.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
He changed the date because the dates changed.
He changed the date for the same reason Chris is saying she wrote "Over My Head" about him. These people crack me up. They never quit.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStevie View Post
He changed the date for the same reason Chris is saying she wrote "Over My Head" about him. These people crack me up. They never quit.

Hahaha! I've missed you! Welcome back.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Hahaha! I've missed you! Welcome back.

No telling how long it'll last.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStevie View Post

No telling how long it'll last.

Haha! Understood! I will enjoy as long as I can.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kena View Post

Now on the Stevie end of things- she has mentioned how much she adores Lindsey's children & I'd bet money that she shows Kristen a great deal of kindness & doesn't try to intimidate her... Stevie just doesn't seem like the type (now at least- when she was younger yeah probably). She may have a little streak of that in her every now & then so I have wondered if sometimes she says things about Lindsey just because she can... Because she is Stevie Nicks! And darn it, she coulda had Lindsey if she wanted him- but she broke up with him...If she had ever really really really wanted him back, she probably could of had him. It might have taken a little more effort after he got with Kristen but Stevie could have made it happen.
ITA. I bet if she wanted him back she could have him easily but she never has/doesn't want to/hasn't tried. I've always thought (despite his marriage) he's always (still) loved her more than she loves him. So it probably wouldn't take too much on her part to take him back...if she was inclined.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
ITA. I bet if she wanted him back she could have him easily but she never has/doesn't want to/hasn't tried. I've always thought (despite his marriage) he's always (still) loved her more than she loves him. So it probably wouldn't take too much on her part to take him back...if she was inclined.
And I've always thought that neither has loved the other more than they've loved their own temperament and stubborn wills. They were both the type to have big arguments and leave. Sausalito and Aspen are probably only two examples of when Lindsey has left angrily.

The only way she could "get him back" is if she changed or stifled her personality. The only way he could "keep her" is if he changed his. Neither was ever likely to change for the other. He's never been the type who says, "if you take me back I'll be different." Getting Lindsey back is like getting a tiger by the tail. That's why she's written that he wouldn't let her love him. It's not like he'd make a docile return to her arms, if only she'd have him. He's never loved her enough to change for her and I think she did change for him, although she might have done that for her career more than for love. But I see the reason they stayed apart is because both would have to suppress too much of themselves to stay together. They'd have to stop being who they are. And who they are is what creates the passion and the conflict.

Michele
Old 01-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ITA. I bet if she wanted him back she could have him easily but she never has/doesn't want to/hasn't tried.
from all the stories sounds like she tried. succeeded. and then pulled back. for decades, that same circle. that's why she had him so hooked and why he was so messed up for so long.

Quote:
I've always thought (despite his marriage) he's always (still) loved her more than she loves him. So it probably wouldn't take too much on her part to take him back...if she was inclined.
no, i think it's over now, as far as he's concerned. he's done and seems to find her and her quirks endearing now. maybe she actually does want him now or more probable she likes the idea of them as that whole power couple thing / the one that got away drama - even more because she can't have him, anymore. it may be just an act, a fodder that she uses in her interviews, and she actually doesn't care or has some healthy relationship going that nobody knows about, but from what she says it kinda sounds like she never grew up, relationship-wise. he finally did.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And I've always thought that neither has loved the other more than they've loved their own temperament and stubborn wills.
well yeah, but that doesn't make nearly as big or romantic story.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"