User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I liked your original post, KC! I found your sheer conviction intriguing. I'll have to try some more Ethiopian coffees. Any particular ones you recommend?
Thank you. My favorite is the Sidamo that Starbucks puts out. It's part of their reserve line now, but used to be in all stores year-round. The reviews here are telling: http://www.starbucksstore.com/starbu...efault,pd.html

Although I like that one the most, I usually enjoy all African coffees, and great varieties come from Kenya and Rwanda, too. My suggestion would be to try whatever you can find from Ethiopia, and as long as it's a dark roast it should have that distinctive taste. It's hard to explain - it's just so very different from the nutty flavor that so many Latin coffees have.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 08-14-2013, 04:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yes! I wondered if you'd say that one, KC! I worked at Starbucks in Canada a few years ago and I remember Ethiopia Sidamo well. I recall "floral" and "lemony" were the adjectives used on the packaging, and I'd agree. At the time, it wasn't really "bitey" enough for my palette, but I think I'd really appreciate it if I went back to it now. Unfortunately Starbucks UK doesn't seem to sell it at all. I'm a little sad to hear it's gone to the reserve line across the pond. But it's probably a lot more successful now, actually. It never seemed to be a terribly big seller. Although it was my boss's absolute fav.

Starbucks is deserving of a lot of the criticism it gets in coffee culture, but it can't be denied that some of their coffees are absolutely delicious. And yes, African coffees are great in how different they are from the Latin American ones you so often see in North America. I actually didn't like Latin American coffees for ages and so was under the impression that I didn't like coffee at all, until I tried Starbucks' Sumatra in my early 20s. That was my first coffee love.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I liked your original post, KC! I found your sheer conviction

The trouble is making coffee is now far too much fun, and I keep wanting to make more, but I can't handle all the caffeine! I need to get some guests over.

I liked the original post too.

Still keeping my eyes peeled - I looked high and low in the grocery store the other day and they didn't seem to have ANYthing from Ethiopia. Have to check Starbucks or get on the list.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Are there any local roasters in your area, Nathan? I know it sounds liberal-wanky-hipster, but grocery stores are often not well-stocked coffee-wise when you're looking for something specific.

If not, it may be un-romantic to suggest, but if you're comfortable ordering from them amazon.com actually has a wide selection of coffees. I've searched Ethiopian Coffee and there's loads to choose from. You might have to dig a little deeper to get a reasonable-sized bag (I assume you don't want a 1kg bag for coffee just to try out).

Or yes, Starbucks. Although their Ethiopian blend now is only available at a certain time of year (oh woe!)
Old 08-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Still keeping my eyes peeled - I looked high and low in the grocery store the other day and they didn't seem to have ANYthing from Ethiopia. Have to check Starbucks or get on the list.
If there is a Whole Foods near you, they usually have great coffee selections.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 08-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Or yes, Starbucks. Although their Ethiopian blend now is only available at a certain time of year (oh woe!)
It's the best, too. I wish I had a cup of it right now. When it comes back, I'm stocking up!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Are there any local roasters in your area, Nathan? I know it sounds liberal-wanky-hipster, but grocery stores are often not well-stocked coffee-wise when you're looking for something specific.

If not, it may be un-romantic to suggest, but if you're comfortable ordering from them amazon.com actually has a wide selection of coffees. I've searched Ethiopian Coffee and there's loads to choose from. You might have to dig a little deeper to get a reasonable-sized bag (I assume you don't want a 1kg bag for coffee just to try out).

I will give a local roaster a try, when I get some time, and report back. Thanks again!
Old 09-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

I got an email from Starbucks today.

If I read it correctly, sounds like they have some Ethiopian in stock.

Found a 20 oz. Mr. Coffee french press at Ross today for five dollars.

If you gents hear anything on some Ethiopian, let me know. Thanks guys.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Found a 20 oz. Mr. Coffee french press at Ross today for five dollars.
Bargain!

Starbucks UK is billing this Ethiopian Coffee as "new". Are they doing the same on your side of the pond, Nathan? Or is it just "new" to the UK? If not, I'm curious how much it could've changed, really.

Let us know how it is.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Happy International Coffee Day all you Coffee Geeks!

I went to Starbuck's today for a free Ethiopian. The line was looooong! And yes, they were billing it as "new." It is definitely bold, but then I am a mellow cup person. If my stomach were younger, I would be a bold roast person, for sure!

I got a birthday cake pop with my free black Ethiopian coffee and, wow. At first, I was like "ewww..." but then the two tastes collided in my mouth and I felt like I was on an elevator to the 83rd floor.