The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-02-2003, 02:07 PM

Default I love this album

Altho it's not my fave by a long shot, I love this album.

Of the songs most people seem to dislike, I think Oh Diane is camp and catchy, and Wish You Were Here is haunting and sad.

It has grown on me over the years.

Just MHO

Pink Floyd
Old 08-02-2003, 02:18 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by trackaghost
Thats not very nice is it? Even if you are joking.

anyway I think you should give the album a chance, its not one of their best but its worth owning for sure.
If I really don't mean it, then no, it's fine. I think you're swell and don't suck. You have good taste in music.

And about me being critical, I'm already picky but the internet somehow magnifies my critisism. I just pick things apart and analyze them. It's what musicians do. Plus, you have to remember that I'm mostly a big fan of avant-garde prog rock and still getting used to this easy-listening stuff. But I do like it!
Old 08-04-2003, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE and ADORE every track on this album (except Empire State)!!! (Once again...why, oh, why that instead of Goodbye Angel?!) Straight Back...one of my all-time favorite Stevie songs! Christine's harmonies with her on this are amazing, as is Stevie's vocal performance and the music! Oh Diane?! One of my favorite Lindsey songs! I have to stop, 'cause I'll go crazy on the whole album! (Except Empire State.... )
Old 08-04-2003, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, this album flows well I think. I can just listen over and over from song to song.

I like most of the album, it is...quiet but I enjoy it.

No point to this post but I just wanted to defend one of my fav FM albums.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by squealy
Lindsey's 1950's-style tunes, but I can imagine people being turned off by them.
This is exactly why I don't like this album much, Lindsey's songs!! In my opinion, he does better on Tango. But as others have pointed out, this album has its saving graces. "That's Alright", "Gypsy", "Hold Me", "Straight Back", "Love in Store"-- these songs are worth buying the album, especially if it's used and under $10!
Old 08-04-2003, 08:29 AM
Ledgie

Default Re: Mirage....**snooze...**

Quote:
Originally posted by EricBliss12345
"Wish You Were Here" is just OK and for some reasons reminds me of "Silver Springs". I think it has some identical chord progressions.
The piano intro is identical to that the of The Dance version of Silver Springs. The original Rumours intro to Silver Springs sounds different, and I think it is on harpsichord.

I agree with you in a lot of ways on Mirage, although I like it more now than I used to. The only songs from Stevie I like on it are Gypsy and Straight Back.

I hesitate to say I like any of LB's songs on it, but Book of Love and Can't Go Back are tracks I usually don't skip.

Hold Me is the only song by Christine that I will listen to regularly from this album.

Overall, it has the feel that they were trying desperately to go back to a "Rumours sound". Best album cover though, in my opinion.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Mirage....**snooze...**

Quote:
Originally posted by ericktul
The piano intro is identical to that the of The Dance version of Silver Springs.
Piano players can actually hear the differences between the two intros. I could explain it in technical terms but it would be boring. Certainly the overall vibe of the intros is very similar, but technically there are slightly different things going on. Welcome to the ledge, Erick! It's great seeing you here after so many years from Usenet.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:14 AM
Senior Ledgie

Hey David it seems you had about as much creativity coming up with a username as I did... haha...
Old 08-05-2003, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Piano intros

Similar? Scarily. Identical? Hardly. I can hear the differences too. I also noticed none of Fleetwood Macs recordings are in tune. That really bothers me. But that's for an entirely different thread. LOL

Anyways, get this. I got Empire State stuck in my head the whole night at work. Played it today, and Hey! Its all good.

I've played it through a few times and my final opinion is that it's not bad. There's few tracks that are outstanding but most of them are decent enough. The only ones I flat out don't like are Oh Diane and Eyes Of The World. Besides that it's a decent, if unspectacular album. But the majority of it I like. It doesn't reach out and grab you like tracks from Rumours, Mystery To Me, or Tusk, but it's a nice, mellow album.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:29 AM
Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Mirage....**snooze...**

Quote:
Originally posted by David
Piano players can actually hear the differences between the two intros.
Me playing the piano is scary, which is why I can't tell the difference.

Quote:
Welcome to the ledge, Erick! It's great seeing you here after so many years from Usenet.
Thanks! Or as my girl mo would say, "Thanks, DaveDave!"
Old 08-05-2003, 12:38 PM

Whoever said the album has a good flow got it right. As a result, I'm rarely compelled to skip a tune.

Now, what's with the dissing of Oh Diane? It's not greatness, but it's a decent pop tune. I even like Straight Back, even though I can only listen to it very occasionally.

The best songs are Eyes of the World and Gypsy. Empire State is cool, weird. Can't Go Back gets me rocking. In fact, if it weren't for Lindsey's three rockers of sorts, the album would be fairly dull. Lindsey saved it. Sure, he has much better songs in other albums, but Eyes of the World is one of my all-time favorites.

As for Tango, what was really exciting about it was hearing how the sound had evolved. This is when Lindsey discovered the Spanish guitar and has kept using it ever since. Rather, I should say the hybrid classical, which is what he actually plays. But bringing that instrument into the Fleetwood Mac sound, and consecutively Cradle, was a brilliant move.

Mirage isn't the best. It's decent. But stop dissin' Oh Diane, or I'll get Mrs. Carne after you!
Old 08-05-2003, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

But stop dissin' Oh Diane, or I'll get Mrs. Carne after you!
Yes, we better start dissing "Only over you" instead. This one is really tacky.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy Sure, it ain't no Rumours, but....

Mirage is not horrific either.

Love in Store - Great opener for the album, IMO. "Never take your love away..." LOVE that part!

Can't Go Back - I love the lyrics on this one, it's cute!

That's Alright - Perhaps doesn't really fit in on this particular album, but it's okay. Nice, cute, country feel to it.

Gypsy - GREATNESS!

Only Over You - I like this tune. Pretty, moody, soft and tender kind of song.

Empire State - It's all about the *plink plink* baby!! LOL

Hold Me - Great tune by Christine!

Straight Back - I really love this one, it's dark and moody. (Why am I on the word moody today? LOL)

Oh Diane - CUTE!! He really plays up the 50's vocal, dudn't he?

Eyes of the World - Classic song, and I'm glad they are doing it for the tour!!

Wish You Were Here - Yep, sounds like it's gonna be SS when it FIRST starts out, but yeah, it's an okay song. Kinda sad.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am also guilty of having bought this album as a kid when it first came out on vinyl. Back then I remember taking a couple of listens to the album and then going back to listen to only "Gypsy," "Straight Back," and "Hold Me." I wore the grooves out big time! My impression at the time was that the album was basically all filler except for these wonderful new songs.

It wasn't until years later that I developed an appreciation for this album as a whole, especially the vocal arrangements. The three-part vocal harmonies are like a warm aura that makes each song sound full and lush even though the instrumentation on this album is relatively sparse. The arrangements on "Book of Love" and "Gypsy" are my particular faves. And as others have noted here, this is the Mac at their vocal peak. Accordingly, the "Mirage" tour was the last tour before they started relying on additional singers for their live performances.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:46 AM
Senior Ledgie

On some levels, I would have to agree with you here. It's not an album I keep listening to repeatedly. Outside of "Hold Me" and "Love in Store," I think Christine's "Only over You" and "Wish You Were Here" are weak.

However, I do love "Straight Back" and "Oh Diane". (So add me to the "Oh Diane" fan club!) I love the 1950s sound Lindsey creates on it.

"Empire State"...that's another story. (blech)

This is definitely one of those Mac records that does require repeated listenings.