User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
From a social worker's perspective, especially when said social worker was working at a homeless shelter, it kind of made me want to puke. Mourn the loss of a dream? Yeah, tell that to the guy who was assaulted over a mustard sandwich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
see now there's something we can finally agree on. these people (all macsters except maybe johnny mac who at least once said "we are not curing cancer here" so maybe he has some sense of reality) are so self-absorbed and self-important... even few weeks ago "we were heroic" they say "in recording rumours"?!?!? what? you were sitting in the studio getting high with some pretty people around you some of them who happen to be your exes, and making some music. yeah, really heroic
See I just lauhged when Steve said that, because you can start thinking that way about anything. I mean it can make the advice "don't stop thinking about tomorrow" seem insensitive, if you say, "Tell that to the guy who was stabbed for a mustard sandwich!"

Michele
Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
He's never going to walk out with just one guitar and play in the stripped down fashion you're speaking of. I'd enjoy that as well, but it's never gonna happen. It's not who he is
Which is why I'm so high on Richard Thompson right now. He DOES that, and his stage banter can be hilarious.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
See I just lauhged when Steve said that, because you can start thinking that way about anything. I mean it can make the advice "don't stop thinking about tomorrow" seem insensitive, if you say, "Tell that to the guy who was stabbed for a mustard sandwich!"

Michele
i think Lindsey actually made that heroic comment. it really annoyed me and i was just waiting for a chance to criticize it somewhere.

that's actually why i really liked Lindsey's GOS1 lyrics - they were not as self-absorbed as the rest of the rumours-era mac catalogue.

but yours and redtulip's points are well taken.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-16-2013, 12:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Which is why I'm so high on Richard Thompson right now. He DOES that, and his stage banter can be hilarious.
Is the stage banter always different or are you familiar with it now?

Michele
Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
First, I said assaulted...

But, "don't stop thinking about tomorrow" is something that I would call encouraging. It can be an empowering lyric, especially at a homeless shelter. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that's the only mentality one can have to survive being in a homeless shelter and not go insane.

It's nothing at all like a guy babbling on about mourning the loss of a dream when that guy is tearing down his mansion in the Hills to build another mansion.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i think Lindsey actually made that heroic comment. it really annoyed me and i was just waiting for a chance to criticize it somewhere.
I think Mick said that Lindsey said that to him. I was like, "Are these guys still smoking pot with each other." What is up. Do they really still talk about 1976-1977 when they are alone? Psychos.

Michele
Old 02-16-2013, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
First, I said assaulted...
I know you did. I was spicing it up a little for the "don't stop" comment.

Michele
Old 02-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
Old 02-16-2013, 01:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
to each their own.

i'm more into rocking and intense myself. and OMS provided that in spades.

i used to go to music school, play piano and flute, and as a part of that we had to go to a lot of classical music concerts. it was not for me, i was bored at many of those. completely acoustic shows kinda remind me of that time. i can appreciate how great someone's playing, but it just doesn't grab me and hold my attention for the whole duration.

also, i like to think i can influence things and not just have them completely handed to me, even in the entertainment... as several of us said before, it is fun to banter with Lindsey and listen to his stage back-and-forth with others in the audience. a lot of it ends up being hilarious and interactive. but again, that's just me.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-16-2013, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Is the stage banter always different or are you familiar with it now?
I've only recently gotten into RT's music, but there's enough on YouTube and enough live recordings out there to know that he's not babbling on all the time about how something was a healing moment for him. I mean, his devastatingly sarcastic rendition of "Oops, I Did It Again" from his "1000 Years Of Popular Music" album already puts him ahead of the curve, as does "I Agree With Pat Metheny" where he basically sh*ts all over Kenny G. I'm hoping to see him next month.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I mean, his devastatingly sarcastic rendition of "Oops, I Did It Again" from his "1000 Years Of Popular Music" album already puts him ahead of the curve, as does "I Agree With Pat Metheny" where he basically sh*ts all over Kenny G. I'm hoping to see him next month.
This sounds similar to what people in the This is 40 audience at the Roxy were telling me about Ryan Adams and what his full show is like. I guess it's as much a sardonic look at pop culture, mixed with his social commentary as it is about the music.

Of course, FM isn't like that.

Michele
Old 02-16-2013, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

just looked up Richard Thompson... he sounds very interesting actually, much better than what you described SteveMacD. i'll check him out if he comes around these parts

and i don't really see how he and LB are mutually exclusive. i'd think it would be just the opposite for most people who are at least somewhat familiar with one or the other.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
What does that have to do with anything? Completely irrelevant to this conversation.
Yeah, we're having this thing called a conversation, which has partially morphed into why I don't see Lindsey. One of the reasons I listed is that I don't like his banter, and at the last show I saw, the banter that was paraphrased rubbed me the wrong way for that reason.

#Reading

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-16-2013, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
just looked up Richard Thompson... he sounds very interesting actually, much better than what you described SteveMacD. i'll check him out if he comes around these parts
What can I say. I suck at some things. Plus, I've never actually gotten to see him live, yet. I usually give better descriptions of things I've experienced.

Actually, he and his ex have a song that screams to be covered by Fleetwood Mac called For Shame Of Doing Wrong.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-16-2013, 01:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What can I say. I suck at some things. Plus, I've never actually gotten to see him live, yet. I usually give better descriptions of things I've experienced.
like if you actually experienced OMS show?

couldn't resist. it's all good. i learned something new. i'm also having a vague memory that somebody else may have brought up Thomson to me recently, as someone i may be interested in checking out.