The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lindsey & NIN/QOTSA/Grohl To Perform Grammy Awards Finale (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=53165)

nicole21290 01-21-2014 08:42 AM

Lindsey & NIN/QOTSA/Grohl To Perform Grammy Awards Finale

http://m.spin.com/articles/grammys-n...ey-buckingham/

Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the Stone Age, Dave Grohl, and special guest Lindsey Buckingham will give the closing performance at the 56th annual Grammy Awards on Sunday night, SPIN can exclusively reveal.

"We're incredibly excited about this number," Grammy executive producer Ken Ehrlich said in a statement. "There's nothing better than when the Grammys can rock out, and to have these artists all together on one stage, doing a number that, when they presented it to us, knocked us out, is going to turn out to be one of those Grammy moments that people talk about for a long time. Long live Trent, Josh, Dave and Lindsey and these great bands!" It will be the first-ever Grammy telecast performance for Nine Inch Nails and QOTSA.

Thirteen-time Grammy winner Grohl, as usual, is the connective tissue, having performed extensively with both bands, most prominently on QOTSA's 2002 LP Songs for the Deaf and Nine Inch Nails' 2005 album With Teeth. Fleetwood Mac guitarist/singer Buckingham, of course, is the wild card, and his role — singing a kickass version of "Tusk" or "The Chain," maybe his solo hit "Go Insane"? — remains to be seen. Buckingham appears in Sound City: Real to Reel, the Grohl-directed documentary about the legendary, now-shuttered L.A. studio where many classic albums were recorded; his Fleetwood-Mac-mate, Stevie Nicks, appears in the film and also joined Grohl on the Sound City Players album and tour last year.

While the Foo Fighters did not release any new music during this year's window of eligibility, Grohl has two nominations, both connected to Sound City: Best Rock Song for "Cut Me Some Slack" (with Paul McCartney and the other surviving members of Nirvana, a group often dubbed "Sirvana"), and Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media; separately, he appears as a songwriter (again, with Nirvana) on a Best Rap Song nominee, Jay-Z's "Holy Grail." Queens are up for two awards: Best Rock Album (for …Like Clockwork), Best Rock Performance with the album's "My God Is the Sun," and, indirectly, Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical. Two-time Grammy winners Nine Inch Nails' Hesitation Marks is nominated for Best Alternative Music Album. Buckingham is not nominated but is featured on the Delta Rae song "If I Loved You," which garnered Rob Cavallo a shot at Producer of the Year, Non-Classical.

TrueFaith77 01-21-2014 08:58 AM

Interesting. Not sure I was aware of "If I Loved You." Thanks for posting.

Also odd article doesn't mention Liddy's involvement in the NIN album.

redtulip 01-21-2014 10:13 AM

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=51613

elle 01-21-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 1118157)
Also odd article doesn't mention Liddy's involvement in the NIN album.

yes. one would think that's the connection much more than sound city. Reznor was fawning over Lindsey's contributions to HM extensively in almost every interview about the album.

elle 01-21-2014 10:51 AM

after Spin, there are tons of articles now out with these news, in several different languages. here is one that's a bit more informed about what some of these people did together:

http://www.takeashot.lv/2014/01/21/n...grammy-awards/

The 56th GRAMMY Awards will close out in face-melting fashion with a joint performance from Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighter Dave Grohl, and Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac.
Spin broke the news on Tuesday morning, with confirmation via GRAMMY executive producer Ken Ehrlich.

“There’s nothing better than when the GRAMMYs can rock out,” Ehrlich notes in a statement, “and to have these artists all together on one stage, doing a number that, when they presented it to us, knocked us out, is going to turn out to be one of those GRAMMY moments that people talk about for a long time.”

He added, “Long live Trent, Josh, Dave and Lindsey and these great bands!”

This will be GRAMMY telecast debuts for NIN and QOTSA. All parties involved have worked together in some capacity over the years: Grohl has played drums on albums by Queens and NIN, whose leaders (Josh Homme and Trent Reznor, respectively) also contributed to the soundtrack for Grohl’s “Sound City” documentary. Buckingham played guitar on NIN’s latest album, “Hesitation Marks,” and he also appeared in “Sound City.”

Beyonce, Jay Z, Taylor Swift, Lorde, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Daft Punk, Paul McCartney, Katy Perry, Metallica, Kacey Musgraves and Kendrick Lamar are among the many other performers taking the stage at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Sunday night (Jan. 26) for the CBS telecast.

HelloMonster 01-21-2014 11:00 AM

That's so exciting! I'm happy for him to be involved :thumbsup:. I don't care for QOTSA, but it doesn't matter, I'll watch now anyways. I wish I could just GO to the Grammys. How does that even work? They don't exactly sell tickets right? Is the entire place filled like a concert or just the bottom like floor seats?
Dang, sorry about all the questions :laugh:.

elle 01-21-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HelloMonster (Post 1118165)
That's so exciting! I'm happy for him to be involved :thumbsup:. I don't care for QOTSA, but it doesn't matter, I'll watch now anyways. I wish I could just GO to the Grammys. How does that even work? They don't exactly sell tickets right? Is the entire place filled like a concert or just the bottom like floor seats?
Dang, sorry about all the questions :laugh:.

it would be great if you could try (and represent us!!), but i have no idea!

love love love seeing the whole twitter exploding with this!!

some nice articles and even nicer comments on how for once grammys got it right and that this group of musicians they put together has artistic merit and relevance instead of being just another dinosaur tribute thing. :thumbsup:

http://www.stereogum.com/1636351/nin...-grammys/news/
As SPIN reports, one very tough, smartly selected lineup of aging rock dudes will assemble this Sunday night to end the Grammy Awards broadcast. Nine Inch Nails, Queens Of The Stone Age, Dave Grohl, and Fleetwood Mac O.G. Lindsey Buckingham have intersected in various configurations over the years — Grohl playing drums on QOTSA’s Songs For The Deaf and NIN’s With Teeth, NIN and QOTSA touring together, Buckingham playing on NIN’s Hesitation Marks and appearing in Grohl’s Sound City documentary, Josh Homme and Trent Reznor contributing to the Sound City soundtrack. And now they’ll all be on the same stage at the same time. More intriguingly, it’ll be a rare TV performance for Nine Inch Nails and maybe a chance to figure out which guitar parts Buckingham played on their album. Talking about it, Grammys exec producer Ken Ehrlich says, “There’s nothing better than when the Grammys can rock out, and to have these artists all together on one stage, doing a number that, when they presented it to us, knocked us out, is going to turn out to be one of those Grammy moments that people talk about for a long time.” At the very least, it should a better show-ending cluster**** than whatever LL Cool J was doing last year. The Grammys air Sunday night at 8PM eastern on CBS.

‏@trent_reznor
Yes, @nineinchnails is performing on @TheGRAMMYs with @qotsa Dave Grohl and Lindsey Buckingham! http://p4k.in/1ePPvVv

holidayroad 01-21-2014 01:56 PM

(I need a crying smilie!) My husband will likely be watching the Stupid Bowl and I will miss this!!!!!!! :mad:

lbfan 01-21-2014 02:17 PM

Super Bowl

Quote:

Originally Posted by holidayroad (Post 1118178)
(I need a crying smilie!) My husband will likely be watching the Stupid Bowl and I will miss this!!!!!!! :mad:

Not sure if you mean the American Super Bowl. If so, that game is February 2.

shackin'up 01-21-2014 03:43 PM

To be honest, this is my personal wet dream band. I could have picked these guys together if someone had asked me to configure my personal favorite rockband. I'm psyched....

michelej1 01-21-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holidayroad (Post 1118178)

Oh you know it will be up on Youtube, so never fear. You will probably be able to see it within a couple of hours of air time.

Usually for these performances, each artist gets his own little spotlight solo, even if it's just for a few seconds. I can't wait to hear Lindsey shine during his.

Michele

elle 01-21-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1118191)
Oh you know it will be up on Youtube, so never fear. You will probably be able to see it within a couple of hours of air time.

Usually for these performances, each artist gets his own little spotlight solo, even if it's just for a few seconds. I can't wait to hear Lindsey shine during his.

Michele

yup! the reception of these news on social media has been extraordinary! really made me happy.

and yeah re being on youtube soon after it happens. plus grammys (airing on jan 26, 8pm on cbs) are a week before the superbawl (feb 2) anyway.

elle 01-21-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up (Post 1118186)
To be honest, this is my personal wet dream band. I could have picked these guys together if someone had asked me to configure my personal favorite rockband. I'm psyched....

thought you would be! :wavey:

very very excited and happy about this and very pleased with all those huge and positive reactions so far.

iamnotafraid 01-22-2014 11:51 PM

Thanks for the news.

sodascouts 01-23-2014 02:59 PM

I'm sure it will be fantastic. I was going to blow off the Grammys; now I'll be recording it.

Madness Fades 01-23-2014 03:03 PM

What all together on the stage at the same time.
Sounds too good to be true. Any guesses to what they might do??

shackin'up 01-23-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madness Fades (Post 1118356)

Well, an electronic noise band, a stonerrockband, a guitararmy?

This is the Time?

HelloMonster 01-23-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madness Fades (Post 1118356)

I'm guessing Mantra from Sound City. Maybe a medley: Mantra (Grohl/Reznor), Copy Of A (Reznor/Buckingham), and one of the songs Grohl did with QOTSA?

Love Copy Of A! I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

elle 01-23-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HelloMonster (Post 1118379)
I'm guessing Mantra from Sound City. Maybe a medley: Mantra (Grohl/Reznor), Copy Of A (Reznor/Buckingham), and one of the songs Grohl did with QOTSA?

Love Copy Of A! I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

you know i was thinking mantra since all of them except Lindsey were on it, but as recorded it doesn't seem as rocking as their number has been described. copy of a would be great in my book, but then the other 2 are not originally on it. so who knows...., maybe medley or maybe something unrelated to any of them that they all liked and thought they could all contribute to?

HelloMonster 01-23-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1118382)
you know i was thinking mantra since all of them except Lindsey were on it, but as recorded it doesn't seem as rocking as their number has been described. copy of a would be great in my book, but then the other 2 are not originally on it. so who knows...., maybe medley or maybe something unrelated to any of them that they all liked and thought they could all contribute to?

Oh! I didn't know Josh Homme was from that band and in Mantra too. Just had to look that up. Oops :angel: You're right though, not as rocking. Something unrelated would be interesting!

michelej1 01-23-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1118355)
I'm sure it will be fantastic. I was going to blow off the Grammys; now I'll be recording it.

And I told myself to remember that the show might go long, might go over. So, I will put some extra time on at the end. I looked at the Screen Actor's Guild Awards a few days ago and it ran about 10 minutes over.

But it was on TBS/TNT so they probably didn't have as tight a deadline as a broadcast network will. Still, I can kill myself when I tape golf or an awards show and I find that the last minutes were cut off.

Michele

redtulip 01-23-2014 11:28 PM

I would love to hear Copy of A, such a great, rocking song and would make sense with NIN being nominated (I think?). Would be nice if they did a medley and threw in a solo Lindsey song though. That's the Way that Love Goes maybe?

Lindsfan 01-24-2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1118382)
you know i was thinking mantra since all of them except Lindsey were on it, but as recorded it doesn't seem as rocking as their number has been described. copy of a would be great in my book, but then the other 2 are not originally on it.

I thought the same, the first few times I listened to Mantra. It is kinda slow, but it does get more intense in the second half of the song, and then add these guys playing live, as aggressively as they do, and I think it could actually work.

I love Copy of A, but the most rocking song, by far, of those that Lindsey plays on, on HM is In Two. Plus, it's s a total guitar orgy. As much as I like Copy of A, I just don't see it working as well for, what are there going to be, five guitars??!!! Yeah, it has really cool guitar going on, but In Two is made for a guitar army...especially live, where, again, these guys will kick it up quite a few notches!

Cammie 01-24-2014 03:56 AM

Lindsey Plays at Grammys !!!!

:blob1::cool: We are as thrilled as you all are!!! :thumbsup: :blob1:

Lindsey playing with his contemporaries at The Grammys
this sunday night !!! Good... Fun break in this zero weather!:)

elle 01-24-2014 09:44 AM

Lindsey, Trent and Josh rehearsing yesterday -

http://instagram.com/p/jjB73txOYU/#

HelloMonster 01-24-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1118447)
Lindsey, Trent and Josh rehearsing yesterday -

http://instagram.com/p/jjB73txOYU/#

That familiar backside ;).

Quote:

Originally Posted by redtulip (Post 1118405)
with NIN being nominated (I think?).

Yup! For Best Alternative Music Album.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsfan (Post 1118416)
what are there going to be, five guitars??!!! Yeah, it has really cool guitar going on, but In Two is made for a guitar army...especially live, where, again, these guys will kick it up quite a few notches!

Ehh I guess Reznor doesn't play in all his songs. Both of these videos look neat!

In Two

Copy Of A

michelej1 01-24-2014 01:56 PM

[I love how some of the outlets are framing the appearance by citing Lindsey first and the rest after]

Ultimate Classic Rock
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/2014-...wards-preview/

If the awards themselves aren’t your thing, a handful of classic-rock artists will also perform at the ceremony. The most noteworthy include appearances by Lindsey Buckingham – who’ll take part in a finale that features join Grohl, Queens of the Stone Age and Nine Inch Nails – and Metallica, who will share the stage with classical pianist Lang Lang for a performance of their classic ‘One.’

Read More: 2014 Grammy Awards Preview | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/2014-...ckback=tsmclip

elle 01-24-2014 05:43 PM

nice photo:

@Wildaboutmusic

I Go Insane because we have #LindseyBuckingham on @TheGRAMMYs. Don't miss Sunday on @CBS! https://twitter.com/Wildaboutmusic/s...139201/photo/1

elle 01-24-2014 09:10 PM

they are doing 2-song medley, according to a billboard article... we know Trent sings at least one of them, from that rehearsal photo earlier today.

http://www.fleetwoodmacnews.com/2014...09946208107892

Grohl, Reznor, QOTSA and Lindsey Buckingham to perform 2 song medley
Dave Grohl, Trent Reznor Rock Hard at GRAMMY Rehearsals

Photo: David Wild @Wildaboutmusic
By Phil Gallo

The Reznor-Grohl-QOTSA outfit took the stage and spent a good 15 minutes getting the drum and electronics sound correct before rehearsing the song.

They, like all of the 21 scheduled performances, run through the song four times. They then bring in the lights, camera and effects for another four run-throughs.

A voice boomed over the PA -- "Dave wants more shaker" -- after one run-through and as they set about building their two-song medley (GRAMMY organizers want us to keep it a secret), they very loudly applied one layer atop the other.

Full article at Billboard

elle 01-24-2014 09:16 PM

bringing that nice lindsey-at-rehearsals pic here where it belongs ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsfan (Post 1118514)

HelloMonster 01-24-2014 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1118542)
they set about building their two-song medley

Oh hell yeah, called it. :cool:

...just playing!

McTrouble 01-24-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1118545)

Hot hot hot! Just post it in every darn thread Elle! I won't complain! :D

vivfox 01-24-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1118545)

Is that cocaine residue on his nose, elle?
OR
I see he has a line of coke ready for his nose, elle. LOL

elle 01-24-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1118557)
Is that cocaine residue on his nose, elle?
OR
I see he has a line of coke ready for his nose, elle. LOL

whatever you are going on about, thank you for providing yet another great opportunity to re-paste today's pic again:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsfan (Post 1118514)

elle 01-24-2014 11:02 PM

@talk2tori 10m
Today was really really cool. Got to see Dave Grohl behind the drum kit along side Lindsey Buckingham,… http://instagram.com/p/jk85wIHhZy/

talk2tori
10 minutes ago · STAPLES Center
Today was really really cool. Got to see Dave Grohl behind the drum kit along side Lindsey Buckingham, Trent Reznor AND Queens of the Stone Age rehearse for music's biggest night. LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL. #GRAMMYS #davegrohlisarockgod #icandiehappy #ilovemyjob

elle 01-25-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HelloMonster (Post 1118547)
Oh hell yeah, called it. :cool: [/SIZE]

you did!

more new photos -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

michelej1 01-25-2014 12:30 PM

[This is an excerpt from an article about forced Awards show collaborations, by someone who obviously doesn't know about Lindsey's recent history]

http://www.thespec.com/whatson-story...ammy-moments-/

We wanted to play our music, but were told that we couldn't play," Vernon told Billboard at the time. "We had to do a collaboration with someone else."

Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age is another rock-and-roll frontman of staunch principles, but on Sunday he'll be joined at the telecast finale by Nine Inch Nails, his buddy Dave Grohl and — (insert sound of name being plucked from hat) — Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac.

It seems tricky to go it alone on TV these days, even if you want to. Take Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, two acts scheduled to merge next weekend in what should go down as the Taco Bell Doritos Locos Taco Supreme of Super Bowl halftime shows.

elle 01-25-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1118620)
[This is an excerpt from an article about forced Awards show collaborations, by someone who obviously doesn't know about Lindsey's recent history]

:laugh: yeah, just a little bit of googling wouldn't hurt when one is trying to make a point.

elle 01-26-2014 12:33 PM

better versions of grammy charity signing photos (from friday i guess?)-

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...pse5ef15e1.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18c6128e.jpg

elle 01-26-2014 05:58 PM

https://twitter.com/deborahanne77/st...074241/photo/1

correction - that tweet / rehearsal pic originally came from NIN and QOTSA twitter accts:

nine inch nails ‏@nineinchnails 14m
Tune in to @TheGRAMMYs tonight for a special performance with NIN, @qotsa, Dave Grohl and Lindsey Buckingham pic.twitter.com/53U10GeetR

@qotsa 6m
Tune in to @TheGRAMMYs tonight for a special performance w/ @qotsa, @nineinchnails, Dave Grohl & Lindsey Buckingham! pic.twitter.com/Ei0I9jmoz1