User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I once read that Stevie herself had a very odd request when doing radio promos or interviews. Her people insisted that no food be allowed in the studio. Some radio DJs have a breakfast sandwich next to them or maybe a bottle of OJ. One DJ said it was the strangest request in all his years interviewing rock stars.
She probably didn't want them making jokes about her climbing over the mixer, to scarf down their Egg McMuffin!
Old 07-15-2021, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
She probably didn't want them making jokes about her climbing over the mixer, to scarf down their Egg McMuffin!
You joke but this is not probably too far from the truth .I can't forget about that story from The Wild Heart tour backstage when she eyed a huge chocolate cream pie for awhile and then devoured it in it's entirety ..ewwww.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
You joke but this is not probably too far from the truth .I can't forget about that story from The Wild Heart tour backstage when she eyed a huge chocolate cream pie for awhile and then devoured it in it's entirety ..ewwww.
Well, she's always been a model of self control.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

so funny I just saw an article about this last week, it was a link in another article... Dee Snider was a presenter at the AMAs that year and he described the whole Prince thing:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...ok_at_him.html

Here's the particular bit:

"But cut to the thing - we're doing the rehearsal, and now Prince is on that, and Prince is so powerful that he had them bring a trailer into the backstage area painted purple.

"So this is the 'Purple Rain' era, so he and The Revolution would be within. But they had their own space.

"Now, I'm backstage with Ray Davies from The Kinks, Stevie Wonder, it's just all the presenters and the staff.

"And now Prince has to come out the soundcheck, there's this craziness around the trailer, this phalanx of security.

"If you remember he had that guy that looked like a pro wrestler, he had the two-tone beard going on, walking out in front.

"And they surround the band, they're so big you can't see anybody, you just see this mass of people moving towards the stage. And the guy out front, the two-toned beard, is pointing people saying, 'Avert your eyes! Look away! Don't look at him!'

"A) Can't see him.
B) Don't care.
They told Stevie Wonder to not look at him! Talking about insensitivity...

"I just walked out, I didn't say around with the soundcheck, who wants this... Anyway, but yeah, that was my close brush with Prince."
Old 07-15-2021, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
so funny I just saw an article about this last week, it was a link in another article... Dee Snider was a presenter at the AMAs that year and he described the whole Prince thing:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...ok_at_him.html

Here's the particular bit:

"But cut to the thing - we're doing the rehearsal, and now Prince is on that, and Prince is so powerful that he had them bring a trailer into the backstage area painted purple.

"So this is the 'Purple Rain' era, so he and The Revolution would be within. But they had their own space.

"Now, I'm backstage with Ray Davies from The Kinks, Stevie Wonder, it's just all the presenters and the staff.

"And now Prince has to come out the soundcheck, there's this craziness around the trailer, this phalanx of security.

"If you remember he had that guy that looked like a pro wrestler, he had the two-tone beard going on, walking out in front.

"And they surround the band, they're so big you can't see anybody, you just see this mass of people moving towards the stage. And the guy out front, the two-toned beard, is pointing people saying, 'Avert your eyes! Look away! Don't look at him!'

"A) Can't see him.
B) Don't care.
They told Stevie Wonder to not look at him! Talking about insensitivity...

"I just walked out, I didn't say around with the soundcheck, who wants this... Anyway, but yeah, that was my close brush with Prince."
What a douche nozzle.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
What a douche nozzle.
They should have all turned and yelled "EVERYBODY STARE" and they should have all looked wide eyed and stared at him non stop.

I agree. Total douche bag.

One thing I got from the video on this thread is how Stevie never mentioned about going to Prince concerts and hearing Little Corvette before her marriage date in January 1983. She forgets?? I always thought her story about writing Stand Back was odd. You hear a new song on the radio on your wedding day and instruct your husband to pull over so you can write a song about it. This video puts that story much more in perspective, no? She was a Prince fan, she attend his concerts, met him back stage, tried to dance with him, and then a few months later Little Red Corvette is released as a single and she gets excited because it brings back a flood of memories about Prince?

BTW, Stevie stared at the stairs and we find out it should have been Prince all along.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-16-2021 at 08:13 AM..
Old 07-16-2021, 12:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

re MacMan4Life: One thing I got from the video on this thread is how Stevie never mentioned about going to Prince concerts and hearing Little Corvette before her marriage date in January 1983. She forgets??

Yep, it sure puts things in perspective. Maybe some experiences are just PR.

re: HomerMcVie What a douche nozzle.
Ha! True. I may just have to borrow "The Douche Nozzle" as a title of a playlist.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
They should have all turned and yelled "EVERYBODY STARE" and they should have all looked wide eyed and stared at him non stop.

I agree. Total douche bag.

One thing I got from the video on this thread is how Stevie never mentioned about going to Prince concerts and hearing Little Corvette before her marriage date in January 1983. She forgets?? I always thought her story about writing Stand Back was odd. You hear a new song on the radio on your wedding day and instruct your husband to pull over so you can write a song about it. This video puts that story much more in perspective, no? She was a Prince fan, she attend his concerts, met him back stage, tried to dance with him, and then a few months later Little Red Corvette is released as a single and she gets excited because it brings back a flood of memories about Prince?
oh she was trying to do more than "dance" with him...
Old 07-16-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
oh she was trying to do more than "dance" with him...
The body language of Peggy when they mention Stevie Nicks' name is worth the entire video.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

lifting her skirts to show him the merchandise as she fluttered around him....
Old 07-17-2021, 04:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by snroxman View Post
re MacMan4Life: One thing I got from the video on this thread is how Stevie never mentioned about going to Prince concerts and hearing Little Corvette before her marriage date in January 1983. She forgets??

Ha! True. I may just have to borrow "The Douche Nozzle" as a title of a playlist.
I was always suspicious of that story because it just did not seem logical. You just got married and your husband is driving the car and a new song comes on the radio that you never heard and instruct him to pull over so you can write a song. How are you into a song so much that you never heard before. I believe she got married Jan 29, 1983. Little Red Corvette was officially released as the second single in early Feb. 1983. Timing is perfect.
Now I understand her "excitement." She had been to Prince shows and heard the song. The song in the car triggered the memories of the concert and maybe trying to dance with Prince. I think we all sort have been there before where we like a song, maybe go to a concert but the song is not played on the radio (yet). When you hear it the first time on the radio, it is exciting (even though you have heard it before). Its more than the song that inspired Stevie. It was all the hanging out with Prince at concerts and backstage parties. No wonder she wanted him to play on the song.

Gee, it gives the song a new perspective with Prince trying to ignore her "maybe your attention was more than you could do" I see a long line of people wanting to get to see Prince and get close to him. Maybe this is where the line "its alright to be standing in a line" comes from. Maybe when Prince saw her pull up her dress he said "Stand Back" I'm getting visions of her bending over and pulling up her dress saying "like a willow, I can bend."

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-17-2021 at 06:10 AM..
Old 07-18-2021, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snroxman View Post

It’s funny because I remember Lindsey saying that Prince came to a few of THEIR concerts, though he didn’t interact with him.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One wonders just what Stevie Mary Pickford Nicks thought of the song’s lyrics.

I guess I should’ve closed my eyes
When you drove me to the place where your horses run free
’Cause I felt a little ill when I saw all the pictures
Of the jockeys that were there before me

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-19-2021, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
The body language of Peggy when they mention Stevie Nicks' name is worth the entire video.
RIGHT? it screams of "Uh don't get me started about that idiot"