Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Screw that guy.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:02 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
It's real and a problem, not merely "a thing".

I'll help you.
Nathan is BIPOC. Stevie is a multimillionaire. With the release of Show Them the Way, she has said we must be kind to one another.
She praised the TikTok sensation. Made her own video which was all about her. She could've said in the video "Hi Nathan, thank you for sharing my song" like she thanked American Horror Story for 120 nights from 2014-2015.

Nathan was responsible for Dreams and Rumours topping the charts again. Nathan is working a very hard job and is "an everyday folk". He offered Stevie 50% of the NFT, he didn't ask for a giveaway.

What's the loss to Stevie here? She, a white millionaire who watches movies on a theater screen in her lavish Santa Monica condo and takes a private jet to Maui during a pandemic, could have permitted this deal with Nathan and supported a BIPOC so that he could buy his parents a house and build a community center in his town!

Thus, she's reneges on her message of Show Them the Way.
Wow. All those years doing DEI work in a public health setting, and all I needed to do was log on to some tired message board to be schooled properly. Thanks for showing me the way.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I agree with you in not understanding. I don’t know if the TickTock platform has its own valuation system. Maybe you can pay for things there using NFT Which can then be converted to money, like bitcoins can be. I don’t understand. Technology has passed me by. I am no longer in the generation who explains things to people. I find some young person and have them explain it to ME. Yeah, my mom still calls and asks me how to access things on her computer. but she’s 83. She is the only one I can help.

Yes, I do not blame Stevie’s people for ignoring this guy. He has helped both her and Fleetwood Mac. But he has already benefited and he is not an artist or creator who deserves to continue profiting from her song, imho.
Well hopefully you'll be pleased to know I have a new subscription to Billboard Magazine. My first issue was the March 13th one with the Biebs on the cover. Ironically there is a whole article on NFT's and it turns out they don't quite understand it either. So it's not just us who are baffled. The article also states that because NFT's are so new, the entire music industry hasn't even mapped out what financial percentages should be divided up amongst artists,
producers, managers, publishers and the like. Though after reading the article I figure that Nathan feels he has a valuable and unique video that should be worth a lot of money to someone, somewhere and his NFT allows him to sell it to the highest bidder. I suppose there is some value considering his tik tok Dreams video did put the single Dreams and the album Rumours back onto the charts as well as helping Ocean Spray sales shoot through the roof. And yes, without him actually being able to use the song, it would be useless for him to try and sell the NFT now because the song and his video go hand in hand in the eyes in the eyes in the eyes of the world.
I love reading Billboard and I love learning about the music business. Maybe if I'm lucky Michele, they'll post a recap of Christine selling her music publishing in 1988 for one hundred and fifty million dollars. Interesting how Stevie only got 100 million for hers.
Another cool thing I learned in this issue is the record industry is keeping track of how many Shazams each artist gets. For a new artist named Jimmie Allen(I have never heard of him), he got two million total Shazams in the United States and thirty one thousand Shazams during his Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve performance.
While I'm on the subject of Billboard I want to share some interesting classic rock acts I see in the Top 200 (albums) for the week ending March 13, 2021.Queen's Greatest Hits is at #22.Elton John's Diamonds album is at #35. Alice Cooper debuts a new album at #47. Rumours is at #49.Creedence Clearwater Revival (greatest hits) at #50.Journey's greatest hits at #67. AC/DC Back in Black at #74. Guns & Roses greatest hits at #82. The Beatles #1's at #88.Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers greatest hits at #90 and Michael Jacksons Thriller at #95.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Billboard should make their past issues available digitally so that we could search them for the archival information we seek.

I would like to know how much money Lindsey and Mick received for their catalogs.

Should we offer to buy John’s catalog so he won’t feel left out? Owning those Lola Thomas songs would make me feel very special.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is this scenario just like Stevie's?
Is Madonna Ciccone in the wrong?
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...comet-1277050/
Old 12-30-2021, 09:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Billboard should make their past issues available digitally so that we could search them for the archival information we seek.

I would like to know how much money Lindsey and Mick received for their catalogs.

Should we offer to buy John’s catalog so he won’t feel left out? Owning those Lola Thomas songs would make me feel very special.
Yes! Let's buy John's catalog! I love "Now I Know" and "The Way I Do" from that album!
Old 12-30-2021, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Maybe if I'm lucky Michele, they'll post a recap of Christine selling her music publishing in 1988 for one hundred and fifty million dollars.
Is this true? If so, I'm really happy for her. It also came after all her hits from Tango.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Is this true? If so, I'm really happy for her. It also came after all her hits from Tango.
I remember it being 34 million. Not sure if that was U.S. dollars or British pounds. I always remember numbers, so I'd bet $34 on it being 34.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

and Stevie didn't sell 100% of her rights; I believe it was 80%
Old 12-30-2021, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
Screw that guy.
Yeah, I'll second that!