User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Internet Explorer 7

Ok, I installed this and I've given it a few days for me to get acquainted with it -- but I really dislike it.
This version has only one cool feature, as far as I'm concerned (the shortcut tabs), but I dislike everything else about it. I can't drag photos to the address bar like I used to. It doesn't have the convenient photo toolbar like the old version used to (when you put your curser over a pic, a small toolbar popped up so you could save or email the pic). And every freakin' time I try to add a URL or photo link here on the Ledge now, it blocks it with the message, "this website is using a scripted window to ask you for information. If you trust this website, click here to allow scripted windows." Unfortunately, you have to click to allow scripted windows every single time.

Does anyone know of any solutions to these problems? Perhaps something I'm overlooking in "Tools"?

Otherwise, I'm just going to do a system restore and return to my old version.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmm. Mine never did that thing when I tried to add anything to faves. When were you ever able to drag photos to the toolbar?

Never noticed about the photo tool bar. That does suck. I installed 7 the day it was released, and I've had no problems with it.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

When I was using IE6, I used to be able to left-click and drag a photo to the address bar... which made it convenient to save pics on sites where right-clicking was disabled.

I might have misunderstood your first sentence, but I don't get the "scripted window" message when I'm trying to save something to my favorites -- I get it when I'm trying to add a photo or a URL to my posts here on the Ledge.

I normally have no problems getting used to new versions of an old program, but they dropped some useful aspects of IE6 and seem to have created some strange non-user-friendly aspects to this new one.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ohh, no, sorry, that was me who misunderstood. I get that warning, too, when adding pics/urls. I'm not sure how to disable it. I don't know if you can, actually.

I agree, there are some things I miss about IE6. I find all of these updated versions of programs are becoming really slick and tech-y... and less user friendly. Have you seen Windows Media 11? I downloaded the beta months back, took a look at it, promptly ****, and reinstalled 10. It had such a weird layout! 'Easier than ever' my ass.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
Ok, I installed this and I've given it a few days for me to get acquainted with it -- but I really dislike it.
This version has only one cool feature, as far as I'm concerned (the shortcut tabs), but I dislike everything else about it. I can't drag photos to the address bar like I used to. It doesn't have the convenient photo toolbar like the old version used to (when you put your curser over a pic, a small toolbar popped up so you could save or email the pic). And every freakin' time I try to add a URL or photo link here on the Ledge now, it blocks it with the message, "this website is using a scripted window to ask you for information. If you trust this website, click here to allow scripted windows." Unfortunately, you have to click to allow scripted windows every single time.

Does anyone know of any solutions to these problems? Perhaps something I'm overlooking in "Tools"?
I upgraded to Internet Explorer 7 a few weeks ago & I haven't had any problems. The only problem I had was installing it & that was my fault. I didn't disable my firewall, Norton's anti-virus & Spyweeper software first. I had to install it in safe mode. I've never gotten that "scripted windows" message. I'm no expert, but that sounds like you might have to adjust your security settings. I also have the MSN browser installed on my computer, so I use both.

I also just upgraded to Windows Media Player 11. It's taken me awhile to get used to it, but it seems to be working OK. It took me awhile to get used to the last upgrade too. I don't really like change very much, I guess.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post

Otherwise, I'm just going to do a system restore and return to my old version.
i just got this also & am just starting to figure things out, it has been a nightmare, & i noticed the photo toolbar is gone now too~it took me forever to figure out how to put my favs back ~
Old 11-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't like it either, and I'm suddenly having issues viewing framed sites. It'll load the main page and the frame just fine, but when I click on a link it opens it in a seperate window.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
Ohh, no, sorry, that was me who misunderstood. I get that warning, too, when adding pics/urls. I'm not sure how to disable it. I don't know if you can, actually.

I agree, there are some things I miss about IE6. I find all of these updated versions of programs are becoming really slick and tech-y... and less user friendly. Have you seen Windows Media 11? I downloaded the beta months back, took a look at it, promptly ****, and reinstalled 10. It had such a weird layout! 'Easier than ever' my ass.
Wait 'til you see Office 2007. Microsoft has gotten rid of menus completely. Yes, that's right, no more menus. The learning curve and frustration level will be painful. They are now using tabs like Macromedia products do. Of course while claiming it's an innovation. Um, yeah, another company's. The plus to this is now you use buttons for everything which are more user-friendly than menus, once you get the hang of the new UI.

I personally don't like IE7.

Oh yeah, and Windows Vista, the new OS, takes 8+ gig to install. Stupid Microsoft.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky View Post
I don't like it either, and I'm suddenly having issues viewing framed sites. It'll load the main page and the frame just fine, but when I click on a link it opens it in a seperate window.

That's probably a "feature".
Old 11-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze View Post
Wait 'til you see Office 2007. Microsoft has gotten rid of menus completely. Yes, that's right, no more menus. The learning curve and frustration level will be painful. They are now using tabs like Macromedia products do. Of course while claiming it's an innovation. Um, yeah, another company's. The plus to this is now you use buttons for everything which are more user-friendly than menus, once you get the hang of the new UI.

I personally don't like IE7.

Oh yeah, and Windows Vista, the new OS, takes 8+ gig to install. Stupid Microsoft.
wtf, are you serious? no menus? an 8-gig OS?? jesus eff.

i avoid all M$ stupidity by using as few of their products as possible. i ditched IE in favor of firefox years ago.

seriously, no menus???
Old 11-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
wtf, are you serious? no menus? an 8-gig OS?? jesus eff.

i avoid all M$ stupidity by using as few of their products as possible. i ditched IE in favor of firefox years ago.

seriously, no menus???
Seriously, no menus!
Old 11-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Seriously, no menus!
that's completely retarded. their whole current GUI is based on menus! how are non-computer-savvy people going to adapt?
Old 11-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
that's completely retarded. their whole current GUI is based on menus! how are non-computer-savvy people going to adapt?
That is a good question! They probably have a tour or something, I haven't tried their help. I have to learn this for work since I edit text books. This means job security for me. As far as non-tech savy people? I really should capitalize on that and offer my services!
Old 11-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That is a good question! They probably have a tour or something, I haven't tried their help. I have to learn this for work since I edit text books. This means job security for me. As far as non-tech savy people? I really should capitalize on that and offer my services!
you should! i can see it now: windows vista, suzequze style ... you'll make a mint!
Old 11-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh yeah, and the new Office has new file formats, incompatible with the old file formats!