The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Very nice summary, Dino! And your last paragraph very closely mirrors my view of the impact of the Munich events.

One thing to add - the "Munich trip" has long been blown out of proportion to become one of the great rock'n'roll myths. It's often written that Peter disappeared for a three-day acid binge and was never the same afterwards. As noted above, Peter went to the house in Munich only that one night, and in the company of one of the band's crew. Of course I wasn't there so I can only speculate on what may have happened at the house and if there really was any dramatic change in Peter's personality or behavior afterwards. From whhat I've read, he announced his decision to leave the band the following day, and as Dino mentions, that surely had an effect on how the other band members viewed the events.

Jeremy - if you're reading this thread, it would be great to have your input on what really happened
Old 06-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Thank You

Thanks for the background-It makes more sense to me now
Have I mentioned that I love this place...

So many people with such a broad musical background/knowledge/history!!
Now ...if someone could just explain why gay men love Stevie Nicks so much....I would have all the information I need for a day (smile)

Thanks again
~~eclipse~~

For never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm, always been a storm... sln
~~eclipse~~
Old 06-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Lightbulb from the horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
Very nice summary, Dino! And your last paragraph very closely mirrors my view of the impact of the Munich events.

One thing to add - the "Munich trip" has long been blown out of proportion to become one of the great rock'n'roll myths. It's often written that Peter disappeared for a three-day acid binge and was never the same afterwards. As noted above, Peter went to the house in Munich only that one night, and in the company of one of the band's crew. Of course I wasn't there so I can only speculate on what may have happened at the house and if there really was any dramatic change in Peter's personality or behavior afterwards. From whhat I've read, he announced his decision to leave the band the following day, and as Dino mentions, that surely had an effect on how the other band members viewed the events.

Jeremy - if you're reading this thread, it would be great to have your input on what really happened

The speculation has been amusing but I was thinking for awhile now, I'll only post a reply if someone asks!! So here you go, Sharksfan.
It's true that we, or more accurately, Pete was met at Munich airport by a very beautiful girl and a strange guy in a black cape. Their focus was definitely Pete for some reason. The rest of us didn't get it, but we discussed the weird vibes. We were invited to their mansion in the Munich forest that night. Pete was already jamming down in the basement, wa wah stuff with congas and stuff when I arrived with Mick. Dennis Keene met us in the driveway, ashen faced and freaking out over the bad vibes and how weird Pete was going. I don't think Dennis was stoned, he just wanted to get out. I tried calming him down with a scripture. I wasn't stoned, maybe I toked some weed that night, but Mick and I stayed and cooked some eggs in the kitchen cos we were famished!
Anyway the house (more like a mansion) was a rich hippy crash pad. And it was spooky. There was some weird stuff going on in the different rooms. Hocus pocus that I don't want to get into here otherwise it'll open up a can of worms.
Mick and I ended up upstairs talking to a girl who was severely affected by the whole thing. It definitely wasn't positive. And if you believe in bad vibes, people wise and music wise, this was it. Mick and I were oh so glad to be out of there. I don't believe we can just blame the acid, it's a convenient scapegoat, but 'beautiful minds' have been around long before acid. (Maybe I should get ready to duck!!)
Old 06-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, Jeremy!

Like many people here, I've read several differing versions of what happened, and it's fantastic to hear a first-hand account of things straight from you. It sure sounds like it must have been a scary experience. It's sad that Peter was in a state of mind where it sounds like he was easy prey for people trying to take advantage of him.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thank you for the response jeremy. Much appreciated.

How i would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that hippie house basement.

I agree with Jeremy that we cannot lay the blame soley on the acid as other well knows factors were in place such as Peter's change in musical direction.

One only needs to listen to The 'End of the Game' and 'Kiln House' to see that the contrast between the two albums are like night and day.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Wow!

I have nothing to add about the Munich thing as I don't really know much about it, but it's so great to see Jeremy posting here! Hi Jeremy!

Also, welcome to the Ledge, fanmael.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can imagine that the occult people of the time would be well aware of Black Magic Woman and thus it makes sense they would zero in on the writer of it, plus celebrity draws those either wanting to use you or simply effect you in some way to make themselves feel important... often because they're non-creative themselves, like the company executives who try to force changes.

I don't see Peter leaving the group as unusual at all, just his own wrecklessness, unhappiness or aimlessness seems to have begun following the incident. Hate to bring another music icon into this, but it seemed like Jim Morrison's appearance changed rapidly at some point too for example, with the beard, and his eyes being more unfocused, and a generally zombified demeanor... it was like another person, or like the person who was there before had kind of gone to bed and stayed there. That seems how people decribe Peter who was really such a handsome guy and five years later was looking twenty years older. I'm gonna have to find a bit of time to scan this Syd Barret photo of 1975 where his old friends did not recognize him at all and in studio 3 of abbey road yet!

Last edited by becca; 07-01-2006 at 12:38 AM..
Old 07-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
Thanks, Jeremy!

Like many people here, I've read several differing versions of what happened, and it's fantastic to hear a first-hand account of things straight from you. It sure sounds like it must have been a scary experience. It's sad that Peter was in a state of mind where it sounds like he was easy prey for people trying to take advantage of him.
Yes, thanks Jeremy !
Intriguing, straight from the horse's mouth. Just bought the complete Elmore James Fire/Enjoy recordings, amazing...
Old 07-01-2006, 03:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

<--- Syd in 1975

I suppose it plays into a music lover's fantasy to imagine one dramatic crossroads moment, and that maybe things could have turned out so much differently but for that.

It is a major shock to see somebody dramatically older in a time logically too short to have been so profound. Usually it only happens because of serious illness. Little wonder people would want to supply some explaination for what is astonishing their eyes.

Last edited by becca; 07-04-2006 at 01:48 AM..
Old 07-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Jeremy-Fantastic to hear from you.
I undrstand the whole "bad vibes", you described... feelings, atmospheres, energies, whatever you want to call them-in a room/house wherever the negative energies can gather. And it does feel fantastic to leave them behind you...whether you are straight or high.

I have been blessed with an acute 6th sense, so I "feel" many things that other people are just not feeling, and don't understand.
Thanks for your input...and I am glad you left that mansion that night

For never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm, always been a storm... sln
~~eclipse~~
Old 07-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default thank you, Eclipse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse
Thanks Jeremy-Fantastic to hear from you.
I undrstand the whole "bad vibes", you described... feelings, atmospheres, energies, whatever you want to call them-in a room/house wherever the negative energies can gather. And it does feel fantastic to leave them behind you...whether you are straight or high.

I have been blessed with an acute 6th sense, so I "feel" many things that other people are just not feeling, and don't understand.
Thanks for your input...and I am glad you left that mansion that night
It's sensitive stuff, a gift of God. But it's a responsibility too.xx
Old 07-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Happy Birthday, Mr. Spencer, from a long-time fan from The Netherlands!

GJK
Old 07-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK
Happy Birthday, Mr. Spencer, from a long-time fan from The Netherlands!

GJK
thank you, GJK.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:02 AM
Ledgie

Smile Thanks Jeremy for the Info...some insight

...hmmm...bad vibes...a mansion in the woods...lsd...staying indoors in a dark place like an old mansion would have given off bad vibes to many people who experienced strong clean lsd...usually better to play/listen to music...or experience outdoor nature...if the lsd is strong...from my experience as a trip guide way back in my college youth days...
Sounds like Peter just experienced some people who were "very" experimental, and had a good time Jamming...he's already Jammed with the Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers a month or so earlier...maybe he wanted to stretch-out those musical abilities? Thanks for the info Mr. Spencer...I look forward to trying to obtain your new album here in Mumbai, India...Blind Pig is an excellent Blues lable...maybe they'll send this way when I order it...I have the Flee releases, and I enjoyed them...so looking forward to hearing the "new" stuff...good health
Old 07-05-2006, 05:18 AM
robm
This message has been deleted by robm.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm
...hmmm...bad vibes...a mansion in the woods...lsd...staying indoors in a dark place like an old mansion would have given off bad vibes to many people who experienced strong clean lsd...usually better to play/listen to music...or experience outdoor nature...if the lsd is strong...from my experience as a trip guide way back in my college youth days...
Sounds like Peter just experienced some people who were "very" experimental, and had a good time Jamming...he's already Jammed with the Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers a month or so earlier...maybe he wanted to stretch-out those musical abilities? Thanks for the info Mr. Spencer...I look forward to trying to obtain your new album here in Mumbai, India...Blind Pig is an excellent Blues lable...maybe they'll send this way when I order it...I have the Flee releases, and I enjoyed them...so looking forward to hearing the "new" stuff...good health
Thank you, robm. 'Precious Little' is also currently available direct from Bluestown, Norway. They give prompt and reliable service. It would be nice if it could be released in India, too.