Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Steve... just curious and hoped to ask you:
Did Lindsey earn anything on his own throughout his life?
Old 02-04-2021, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
IHOWEVER, I think Stevie would be too jealous to let the other four do a reunion like that without her.
I agree with this and you're talking about it in context of The Dance.

Now going into my opinion... I think this is why she remained/remains in FM. She couldve gone off and made millions, but she wouldn't want to feel like she's missing anything.
Like why would she return after SYW to do Unleashed and Live 2013 is what I ask
Old 02-04-2021, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Oh and before you lecture me on facts, do I need to copy and paste the many, many quotes stating Lindsey left Fleetwood Mac because it was just getting too crazy, in the studio and on the road? It wasn’t exactly a “I quit to jump start my solo career” situation.
And we can find quotes where he talked about resenting having to put his solo project on hold to make a Fleetwood Mac album and the quotes where says there was always an understanding that he would resume his solo work after TITN was finished. I don’t doubt it was a crazy session, but he was ready to be done before it even started.

Quote:
And boohoo about Christine having contractual obligations.
She wasn’t contractually obligated to do that album, what are you ranting about? The label noticed Stevie’s success and pressured Christine to give it a try. Since Fleetwood Mac was going into indefinite hiatus, she decided to do it. She had fun, but it ultimately wasn’t her thing. Just as with Christine Perfect, she still didn’t like being the lone front woman and preferred being in a band. Again, unlike the other two, Christine didn’t aspire to be a solo artist. Why would she when she had most of Fleetwood Mac’s Top 40 hits?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-04-2021, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I love you.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No. None of them did.

Without Peter Bardens, there wouldn’t have been Mick Fleetwood. Bardens also brought Peter Green into the band.

Without John Mayall, there wouldn’t have been John McVie. Without Eric Clapton, the Bluesbreakers wouldn’t have become the hottest blues band in England, with EC single handedly revolutionizing the rock guitar sound and redefining what a guitar hero was. Without EC setting that bar so high before leaving, Peter Green replacing him and being nearly as critically acclaimed wouldn’t have set the stage for what became Fleetwood Mac.

Without Stan Webb, there would be no Christine Perfect.

Without Peter Green naming the band Fleetwood Mac, Mick and John wouldn’t have had a band that’s lasted nearly 55 years.

All of them owe somebody. None of them did it on their own.

What’s tricky for Lindsey is that he and Stevie started out together and their relationship was a synergetic one. She was the ambitious singer-songwriter who had amazing stage presence and an amazing sense of harmony. He was the introverted musical genius. He worked wonders on her songs, on their songs, and became an amazing acoustic guitarist in his own right, while she seemed to call shots he might have gone against his instincts and made him uncomfortable, but were ultimately in their best professional interests. They pushed each other in ways that made them what they became.

The fact is Lindsey joined an established band with a long standing on a major label with his girlfriend and musical partner with whom his career began just after high school and made an album a few years later.

That said, Lindsey’s talents as a guitarist and producer are all his own.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-04-2021, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Oh and before you lecture me on facts, do I need to copy and paste the many, many quotes stating Lindsey left Fleetwood Mac because it was just getting too crazy, in the studio and on the road? It wasn’t exactly a “I quit to jump start my solo career” situation.

And boohoo about Christine having contractual obligations. Stevie, Lindsey, and Christine have all had to fulfill contracts along the way just as any recording artist does.

But like I said...Christine alllwaaayyss gets the golden ticket. Same standards that we hold Lindsey and Stevie conveniently don’t apply.
Oh, he does like to argue, debate and push your buttons...if you let him. I stop reading his posts a long time ago.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Completely get it and completely agree. It was hard to watch.

I also agree about Christine and Rick. They really made the show for me. “Stop Messin’ Round” was the highlight of the night for me.
Tear it Up was great, too! Also, Loved Another Woman and Isn't It Midnight.
I loved how they didn't open with The Chain. Stand On The Rock was solid.

I heard this tour kind of Peter'd out at the end. But, the crowd in Cleveland went completely nuts for them. One of my favorite shows in memory. Extreme high energy.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 02-04-2021 at 02:59 PM..
Old 02-04-2021, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Like why would she return after SYW to do Unleashed and Live 2013 is what I ask
I think she was excited going into into SYW, but felt the other three were dismissive of her. Yeah, there was the Dylan comment, but Mick said “well, we’ve just spent a year trying not to sound like Fleetwood Mac” and John rolled his eyes at the dream catcher, and that’s just what they showed us. It’s something that wouldn’t bother most people, but she’s a sheltered queen surrounded by yes people. I think she forgot what working in a band, especially that band, was like in the studio and expected them to treat her like the boss, not a bandmate.

As for 2009 and 2013, I think she probably saturated her solo gigs as much as she could and had Fleetwood Mac as another way to get a big bag of money on tour.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-04-2021, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What’s tricky for Lindsey is that he and Stevie started out together and their relationship was a synergetic one. She was the ambitious singer-songwriter who had amazing stage presence and an amazing sense of harmony. He was the introverted musical genius. He worked wonders on her songs, on their songs, and became an amazing acoustic guitarist in his own right, while she seemed to call shots he might have gone against his instincts and made him uncomfortable, but were ultimately in their best professional interests. They pushed each other in ways that made them what they became.

The fact is Lindsey joined an established band with a long standing on a major label with his girlfriend and musical partner with whom his career began just after high school and made an album a few years later.

That said, Lindsey’s talents as a guitarist and producer are all his own.
I commend you for this.
I think like Stevie needed Lindsey for her songs to come alive, Lindsey needed Mick to give his stuff a shot in the arm too... which is why i think there is an unbreakable bond Lindsey has with Mick too. I remember watching Mick sitting directly behind Lindsey at Musicares. Touching Lindsey on the back, probably talking to him about how great life is to have these performers pay tribute.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She only did three shows in 1996. One was a private show and the other two were festivals, which often pay more than concerts.
Has my memory let me down? In 1996 she played AHI (private show), St. Petersburg, Columbus, and Boston.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-04-2021, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here’s my 1995–96 recollection. There was a lot happening in Stevieland. The internet was driving a Stevie revival in the fan base. The music mags were starting to talk about her in more positive terms — just a year or two before, rock writers were lampooning her as an embarrassing child-woman who never grew up (with comparisons to literary characters in Dickens), but their tone changed and you saw more articles about Stevie being an influence to a new generation. You see these articles begin to appear in 1994–95. Lifetime cable channel started negotiations with the Stevie camp to film a documentary and concert. She booked appearances in 1996 in public, and her fans went nuts, videotaping all of them and circulating them on the net. Fanzines about Stevie kicked up (one of the dozens of them was called “Mirror Mirror,” created by Mike Bise). Trading in Goldmine ramped up, too, for concert tapes and pictures and tourbooks and other Stevie items. The modern fan base for her was regrouping and adding more and more to its ranks, again thanks largely to the internet. In the immediate years following her unhappy 1994 tour, the air was electrified, and Stevieness was accumulating power and speed, like a tsunami made of meat and chiffon!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-04-2021, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Has my memory let me down? In 1996 she played AHI (private show), St. Petersburg, Columbus, and Boston.
I didn’t see Columbus listed on setlists.fm, but yes to the other three.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-04-2021, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I didn’t see Columbus listed on setlists.fm, but yes to the other three.
Steve. Steve.

I’m your setlists.fm.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-04-2021, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Steve. Steve.

I’m your setlists.fm.

True!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-05-2021, 04:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I never said she didn’t benefit from the reunion, I said it didn’t save her ass. She was still somewhat viable. The reunion saved the other four’s asses. They were not viable. My point is that Stevie could have done it without the band, although I’ve also acknowledged that it wouldn’t have had as great an impact.

I wasn’t talking about singles, I was talking about album sales. And, the point was Stevie’s rock bottom album peaked at #45 and people like you act like her career was in the tank. However, nobody makes the same kind of comment about Go Insane, which was Lindsey’s second highest charting album, which also peaked at #45. Nobody says Lindsey’s career was in the tank until TITN saved his ass. Just a little hypocrisy.

The numbers provide a little reality check. Lindsey wasn’t viable anymore and Fleetwood Mac without any of the Rumours singer-songwriters fronting the band on stage wasn’t viable, but Stevie was still moderately viable.

Again, all she needed was to quit smoking, lose weight, get a makeover, adopt the godmotherly rock survivor persona, and work with younger, relevant artists like Sheryl Crow, Dave Grohl, etc. Her path back to relevance realistically didn’t require Fleetwood Mac.

HOWEVER, I think Stevie would be too jealous to let the other four do a reunion like that without her. Skipping a new studio album is one thing, but a skipping massive reunion event like that which would have still been loaded with hits would possibly call into question her importance to the band, and she wasn’t about to let that happen.
I hate how you get blasted on here. You make basic points and seem to offer fair minded opinions. It's sad that the site has devolved into Stevie bashing, including misogynistic remarks about her "wrinkled old knuckles" . As if any of the others knuckles aren't wrinkled. They're in their 70s! And yeah... i get your point. Her lowest charting record was better selling than OOtC *which i actually loved* which had a BIG push behind it.
As to the Timespace tour. I saw it in Houston and she was amazing