User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-12-2023, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
In 2018, I dont think Chris played the opening to Sara. Sadly she was relinquishing most of her keyboard playing by then
Chris, unfortunately, took off into hiding for some of the worst years that any adult could do. Aside from the one solo album she worked on, from age ~55-70 she took a sabbatical from performing allowing all of her chops to fall by the wayside. Not just the physical act of playing the keys but traveling and touring, gelling with a band on stage, just having that basic agility to put into a performance what she would want to in her prime.

By the time she came back, I can’t imagine how difficult it was for her to try and get back into that groove. So I think you saw less and less of her being involved on stage - not playing a lot of those intros she created, relying far more on the backing musicians than she would have before. I just think it’s a natural evolution for septuagenarians but especially when you let everything sort of fall by the wayside for nearly 20 years in your 50’s and 60’s.
Old 03-12-2023, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Tom died almost 5.5 years ago. She’s toured several times solo and with Fleetwood Mac during that time not to mention we all went through a freaking pandemic. I’m not saying get over it, but, also, get over it. It’s absolutely ridiculous that she’s still doing Free Falling and putting on such a spectacle about Petty. Flip the circumstances and you think Tom would be doing Edge of 17 in every one of his shows with a montage of Stevie playing on the screens?

She’s in the bonus years here and instead of digging into her own catalog of solo hits and album tracks not to mention Fleetwood Mac songs outside of the main 5, she remains stuck on duds like If Anyone Falls, boring cover songs, and lethargic versions of Gypsy and Rhiannon. Although from what I see, the people who go see her would be content to hear her read the 1992 yellow pages and wax poetic about 1968 San Francisco so I guess she knows her audience.
I applaud her at her age still going on the road. She uses no autotune and no pre-recorded backing tracks like many artists younger than her. She sold her catalog and worth over 100 million. Now would be the time to dig into the vault. But she plays the same, safe set with the same tributes for someone that died almost 6 years ago. But then again, maybe I am asking for too much. At her age, its probably easier to play the same set over and over. Its what she has always done and she wont change. She is doing what the concert promoters want of her. Stevie: Make sure to play all of your Fleetwood Mac single hits. The masses dont know your other stuff.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wouldn’t go to see her with the current set list..
I prefer to just use my memories
However
If she played Angel, well that might be different.
(Even though I live in Hampshire and she never tours the UK)
And I think she could still perform Angel..just about

Last edited by sue; 03-12-2023 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Just adding something
Old 03-12-2023, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I applaud her at her age still going on the road. She uses no autotune and no pre-recorded backing tracks like many artists younger than her. She sold her catalog and worth over 100 million. Now would be the time to dig into the vault. But she plays the same, safe set with the same tributes for someone that died almost 6 years ago. But then again, maybe I am asking for too much. At her age, its probably easier to play the same set over and over. Its what she has always done and she wont change. She is doing what the concert promoters want of her. Stevie: Make sure to play all of your Fleetwood Mac single hits. The masses dont know your other stuff.
Some of the vocals from this Inglewood show actually sound unnatural, as in too good. But it's probably the sound system for that show or the YouTube audio.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Because even the queen of narcissism knows that is pure BS to say that and if she did play that droning pile of horse pucky it would immediately get launched to Siberia never to be heard from again before the next show. It’s not worth rehearsing it and prepping it for the set and she knows it.
Instead she recorded For What It's Worth and called it "her new song."
Old 03-12-2023, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Even Billy's fans call this the dud of the night. Calling it the "bathroom break" and her voice adds nothing but an irritation to the song. Some things sound good on paper but execution fails. This maybe could have been a small theater performance but a large stadium it fails. Stevie used to be able to wrap her voice around anyone's. She cant do that anymore. But IMHO this is Billy's fault, not hers. Its his song and it was not meant for this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqIoebNGfls
so massively slowed down I didn't even recognize the song...

Anyone else notice the awkwardness when he tried to give her a hug when she came onstage? She clearly was trying to avoid it.

And she didn't seem ready to come onstage when he announced her...he said her name and...no Stevie... and he says "Where is she?" and turns around...

I wonder if physically this tour is hard for her... she seems very slow and as someone else said, lumbering onstage, moving so very cautiously.... I also agree that she is the opening act and that has to irritate her on some level... which I'd bet her management tried to soften for her by getting her sh&t tons of money. Which at this point.... really? She's still that motivated by the money??

I also agree with those who are disappointed she doesn't get more inventive with her sets. You'd think at this point she'd be so far beyond giving a sh&t about proving herself and just take some artistic risks... I think of people like Robert Plant or Sting or even Lindsey who say, f*^# it, I'm going to do music I like how I like it, I've got all the platinum records and stadium shows on my CV to prove my success, now I'm doing what *I* want. But this gets back to the fact that pretty early on in her career she sold out for fame and glory and gave up her storytelling art. And she messed up her voice with drugs and partying and all that. I hate to say it, but Lindsey does seem to have a point when he says her whole life is her career and without it she doesn't know wtf to do with herself. Like she doesn't even seem to have her other interests anymore.... painting, or writing or.... whatever. Remember how for years she'd blather on about wanting some time off to just chill and have a life... not that long ago she wanted her trailer in that posh trailer park in Malibu to watch the sea and paint and all that. Then COVID came which you would think would have given her the perfect excuse to do all that at-home stuff she said she wanted, and she hated it no end. The reality is she gave the entirety of who she is over to the business. Sad.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 03-12-2023 at 03:41 PM..
Old 03-12-2023, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
She's still that motivated by the money??
Hard to believe but I’d say absolutely she is still motivated by the money. She’s created a little organization of hangers on who she likely is fully underwriting some lofty lifestyles. Obviously there’s the band on stage with her but also the crew and everyone involved in putting the tour on not to mention the Karen’s of her world of which I’m sure there are plenty beyond OG Karen (family and otherwise) who she takes care of. All those people who blow smoke up her arse all the time and never tell her no or give honest feedback about anything for fear of ending the gravy train.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Tom died almost 5.5 years ago. She’s toured several times solo and with Fleetwood Mac during that time not to mention we all went through a freaking pandemic. I’m not saying get over it, but, also, get over it. It’s absolutely ridiculous that she’s still doing Free Falling and putting on such a spectacle about Petty. Flip the circumstances and you think Tom would be doing Edge of 17 in every one of his shows with a montage of Stevie playing on the screens?

She’s in the bonus years here and instead of digging into her own catalog of solo hits and album tracks not to mention Fleetwood Mac songs outside of the main 5, she remains stuck on duds like If Anyone Falls, boring cover songs, and lethargic versions of Gypsy and Rhiannon. Although from what I see, the people who go see her would be content to hear her read the 1992 yellow pages and wax poetic about 1968 San Francisco so I guess she knows her audience.
Didn't she cover I Need To Know for decades? A show where she doesn't cover Tom Petty, whether you count SDMHA or not, would be pretty unusual, even before his death.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothegypsy View Post
Didn't she cover I Need To Know for decades? A show where she doesn't cover Tom Petty, whether you count SDMHA or not, would be pretty unusual, even before his death.
On the 2008 Tour, Stevie did not play one Tom Petty song in her live show. And on the In Your Dreams Tour, Stevie did not play one Tom Petty song in her live show.

Free Fallin takes up space for Talk To Me, I Can't Wait, Long Way To Go.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
On the 2008 Tour, Stevie did not play one Tom Petty song in her live show. And on the In Your Dreams Tour, Stevie did not play one Tom Petty song in her live show.

Free Fallin takes up space for Talk To Me, I Can't Wait, Long Way To Go.
Fair point about there being a few tours that stood out as exceptions, but I don't think dropping Free Fallin necessarily gets you any of those songs you're looking to hear. She could just as easily replace it with her Led Zeppelin cover or something else she's arguably overplayed.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothegypsy View Post
Fair point about there being a few tours that stood out as exceptions, but I don't think dropping Free Fallin necessarily gets you any of those songs you're looking to hear. She could just as easily replace it with her Led Zeppelin cover or something else she's arguably overplayed.
I mean I consider Stop Draggin' My Heart Around Stevie's song. So by my opinion, the 24 Karat Gold Tour didn't have a Tom song. Her 2005 Tour didn't have I Need To Know if I recall, but it did have Circle Dance and Rock and Roll.

Last year's tour was crazy with covers!
Old 03-12-2023, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

it feels like at this point the only way she can get new songs into her set is to do covers. And then, when fans complain, she interprets that as "The fans only want the hits, they don't like new songs" rather than the real reality which is, 'the fans don't want to hear me sing other people's songs, they want to hear me sing MY OWN songs'...

Clearly she works to maintain her ability to sing her biggest hits to the degree she can, but just can't even sing so much of her own material any more...
Old 03-12-2023, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Even just a few changes to the set would help immensely- drop Gypsy for Rooms on Fire, Free Falling for Talk to Me, and Gold Dust Woman for I Can’t Wait, and that would have taken the emphasis off of her FM songs and Tom Petty, who would have still been memorialized by Stop Dragging My Heart Around. It’s been so long since she’s played those songs, they’re practically deep cuts at this point!
Old 03-12-2023, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Even just a few changes to the set would help immensely- drop Gypsy for Rooms on Fire, Free Falling for Talk to Me, and Gold Dust Woman for I Can’t Wait, and that would have taken the emphasis off of her FM songs and Tom Petty, who would have still been memorialized by Stop Dragging My Heart Around. It’s been so long since she’s played those songs, they’re practically deep cuts at this point!
Great point. They are. Also I would want Wild Heart + Bella Donna dropped for Nightbird, Landslide dropped for After the Glitter Fades, and For What It's Worth for No Spoken Word or Long Way To Go!
Old 03-12-2023, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It really doesn’t feel right that the Free Falling montage is still happening 5 going on 6 years later. It’s really starting to feel like she’s exploiting her friendship with Tom. It’s turning into the dead friends tour with the Prince tribute, Tom tribute, and now the Christine tribute.

I still can’t wrap my head around why they bother to go into tour rehearsals!? There’s literally no need for her to show up and rehearse anything.