User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That's why I said that they should all be enjoying their rocking chairs now, EXCEPT for Lindsey. Even though his voice is shot, he's the only one out there still being creative, instead of milking the FM teat.
There would be people who say Lindsey isn't creative because he waits years in between albums, he has covers on his records, and his albums are the same sound. Right now, he is touring an album that's one year old.

Stevie said she has 2 new songs she had a producer work on. Her current tour is really a slowed down Stevie. So different from Debbie Harry, Gladys, or Cher who get down on stage.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They knew it was going to be huge, because the Eagles did it 3 years before.
I gotta disagree here… as I remember things back in 1996, the last incarnation of FM was Mick, John, Billy, Dave, and Bekka. They released Time which didn’t even chart, and they toured with REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar. They were on the ballot for the RRHOF twice and didn't make it. Even Stevie’s last album had bombed. Because of the success of the Eagles, MTV tried it again with FM, this time with the Rumours 5. I remember when the news was released that it got mixed results. Some people said it was beating a dead horse, it was too late in the game for a revival, stuff like that. But after the 2 night recording, the word of mouth spread like wildfire about how incredible it was, and MTV knew they had a hit. And it was, indeed, a ratings smash and had a ton of critical acclaim. And so the tour was started and they made it into the RRHOF the next year. I really don’t believe it was the done deal you think it was, that it was inherently going to a phenomenon. FM worked hard to make that happen, but it could have just been a one time thing. That was my perception.

I also remember reading a fantastic review of the first night of the taped concert by a FM fan, full of observations that only FM fans like us would appreciate. For example, when Silver Springs began, they thought it was going to be Wish You Were Here at first, which blew me away because I’d never realized how much the intros sound alike. He said it was funny because he was expecting Christine to sing and couldn’t understand why Stevie was in front of the mic right from the get go. Also, he said that the crowd went wild for Lindsey and Christine, but was much more restrained for Stevie. He said it felt like she had to earn the applause more after her songs than Lindsey and Christine, right up until Landslide- he said it was the proverbial “it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop” until the crowd roared with applause. That’s probably why Stevie seemed so taken aback, because it was the first time she had gotten such a rousing response that night. There were more great observations, but those were the ones I remembered.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They knew it was going to be huge, because the Eagles did it 3 years before.
I’m with you. I agree that Fleetwood Mac prior to The Dance was dead. Most of the people who were enthralled by seeing The Dance on TV probably didn’t even know the band had an album called Time nor that they had toured three years prior. But to think that the money that went into setting up The Dance was done on hope is not realistic. Hell Freezes Over (1994) was the template and that turned into a huge success for Eagles who were still touring that reunion into 1996. There was renewed interest in Fleetwood Mac with bands like Smashing Pumpkins and Hole recording covers, Lindsey and Stevie doing Twisted, and Stevie covering her timeless classic Free Fallin’ for the Party of Five soundtrack. Enough time had passed from the low period of the early 90’s.

The classic bands were not only getting their old fans interested but it was perfect timing to turn their kids on to this stuff. My senior yearbook (98) had a pop culture page in it that talked about The Dance reunion because it was so freaking popular across generations. That concert was EVERYWHERE that year. Did they know it would be as huge as it was? Maybe not. But they knew the timing was perfect and that it would have legs. By copying Hell Freezes Over in almost every single way, they were pretty much guaranteed a hit.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I’m with you. I agree that Fleetwood Mac prior to The Dance was dead. Most of the people who were enthralled by seeing The Dance on TV probably didn’t even know the band had an album called Time nor that they had toured three years prior. But to think that the money that went into setting up The Dance was done on hope is not realistic. Hell Freezes Over (1994) was the template and that turned into a huge success for Eagles who were still touring that reunion into 1996. There was renewed interest in Fleetwood Mac with bands like Smashing Pumpkins and Hole recording covers, Lindsey and Stevie doing Twisted, and Stevie covering her timeless classic Free Fallin’ for the Party of Five soundtrack. Enough time had passed from the low period of the early 90’s.

The classic bands were not only getting their old fans interested but it was perfect timing to turn their kids on to this stuff. My senior yearbook (98) had a pop culture page in it that talked about The Dance reunion because it was so freaking popular across generations. That concert was EVERYWHERE that year. Did they know it would be as huge as it was? Maybe not. But they knew the timing was perfect and that it would have legs. By copying Hell Freezes Over in almost every single way, they were pretty much guaranteed a hit.
Yep. The Eagles had been dead for 14 years. And even though FM had been limping along at county fairs circuits, it was all about THE RECONVENING. The Eagles got back together, and so did the real FM.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Whose parent lived the longest? Mick's? She was in her 90s.

Was The Dance really the beginning of nostalgia? They played four new songs (though two of those songs used recycled lyrics).

Then you had SYW in 2003. After SYW is when Stevie didn't want to any recording with Lindsey.
Agree completely. SYW isn't a bad album per se. It's just not a good album. There I said it.

Also, They didn't have much chemistry. The chemistry they had left, shows up in spurts. But after this album, it's just a jukebox.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I gotta disagree here… as I remember things back in 1996, the last incarnation of FM was Mick, John, Billy, Dave, and Bekka. They released Time which didn’t even chart, and they toured with REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar. They were on the ballot for the RRHOF twice and didn't make it. Even Stevie’s last album had bombed. Because of the success of the Eagles, MTV tried it again with FM, this time with the Rumours 5. I remember when the news was released that it got mixed results. Some people said it was beating a dead horse, it was too late in the game for a revival, stuff like that. But after the 2 night recording, the word of mouth spread like wildfire about how incredible it was, and MTV knew they had a hit. And it was, indeed, a ratings smash and had a ton of critical acclaim. And so the tour was started and they made it into the RRHOF the next year. I really don’t believe it was the done deal you think it was, that it was inherently going to a phenomenon. FM worked hard to make that happen, but it could have just been a one time thing. That was my perception.

I also remember reading a fantastic review of the first night of the taped concert by a FM fan, full of observations that only FM fans like us would appreciate. For example, when Silver Springs began, they thought it was going to be Wish You Were Here at first, which blew me away because I’d never realized how much the intros sound alike. He said it was funny because he was expecting Christine to sing and couldn’t understand why Stevie was in front of the mic right from the get go. Also, he said that the crowd went wild for Lindsey and Christine, but was much more restrained for Stevie. He said it felt like she had to earn the applause more after her songs than Lindsey and Christine, right up until Landslide- he said it was the proverbial “it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop” until the crowd roared with applause. That’s probably why Stevie seemed so taken aback, because it was the first time she had gotten such a rousing response that night. There were more great observations, but those were the ones I remembered.
There is one calculation you have misread IMHO. You are correct, the Time and Street Angel flop, FM was dead. Street Angel was not just a flop. Stevie had poor concert numbers and cancelled the second leg of her tour. She was also playing county fairs. I was living in West Palm Beach then and we were all disappointed her show was not going to happen. She walked off stage and swore she would never perform again. FM was also playing nightclubs at one point. They came to a nightclub in 1994 in my area and the band stayed at a dirty Holiday Inn.
You realize the same managers who manage the Eagles also worked with Nicks, etc. A huge tour like that takes lots of talk and contracts. The MTV special was to promote the Dance tour. You speak of it as a small event that had no intent to promote an upcomign tour. That would make no sense for the band to reunite for no reason for a small crowd. That concert was recorded and broadcast as promotion for the tour. By the time the mid to late 90s rolled around the cash grab concert by oldie bands were in full swing. If you watch the Dance rehearsal interviews they can never explain why they got back together. Its so obvious they reunited for the money and not creativity. The concert brokers were thrilled they had another monster 70s band reuniting to tour.
What annoyed me the most was how many times you heard "reunited for the first time in 15 years." It was like the band never carried on after Lindsey left. Even during the Clinton inaugural in 1992, they made a fuss......on the stage together for the first time in a decade....... Well not really....just with Lindsey.
You are out of your mind if you think the Dance reunion was an organic response to them casually getting back together. I really cant believe you think a huge produced recorded concert that was broadcast on MTV, PBS, and VH1 was organic and the reviews of the show made the band say hmmmmmm, lets tour now. The Eagles tour was the blueprint. Show me the money!

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-28-2022 at 01:46 PM..
Old 08-28-2022, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Agree completely. SYW isn't a bad album per se. It's just not a good album. There I said it.

Also, They didn't have much chemistry. The chemistry they had left, shows up in spurts. But after this album, it's just a jukebox.
If you cut 9 songs and add 3 of Christine’s it would be a later day gem
Old 08-28-2022, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
There is one calculation you have misread IMHO. You are correct, the Time and Street Angel flop, FM was dead. Street Angel was not just a flop. Stevie had poor concert numbers and cancelled the second leg of her tour. She was also playing county fairs. I was living in West Palm Beach then and we were all disappointed her show was not going to happen. She walked off stage and swore she would never perform again. FM was also playing nightclubs at one point. They came to a nightclub in 1994 in my area and the band stayed at a dirty Holiday Inn.
You realize the same managers who manage the Eagles also worked with Nicks, etc. A huge tour like that takes lots of talk and contracts. The MTV special was to promote the Dance tour. You speak of it as a small event that had no intent to promote an upcomign tour. That would make no sense for the band to reunite for no reason for a small crowd. That concert was recorded and broadcast as promotion for the tour. By the time the mid to late 90s rolled around the cash grab concert by oldie bands were in full swing. If you watch the Dance rehearsal interviews they can never explain why they got back together. Its so obvious they reunited for the money and not creativity. The concert brokers were thrilled they had another monster 70s band reuniting to tour.
What annoyed me the most was how many times you heard "reunited for the first time in 15 years." It was like the band never carried on after Lindsey left. Even during the Clinton inaugural in 1992, they made a fuss......on the stage together for the first time in a decade....... Well not really....just with Lindsey.
You are out of your mind if you think the Dance reunion was an organic response to them casually getting back together. I really cant believe you think a huge produced recorded concert that was broadcast on MTV, PBS, and VH1 was organic and the reviews of the show made the band say hmmmmmm, lets tour now. The Eagles tour was the blueprint. Show me the money!
Thank you!

BW lives behind chiffon covered glasses.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't feel Street Angel bombed. I think if an album doesn't chart it bombs (as in Lindsey's self-titled album and Mike Campbell's Dirty Knobs albums).

Stevie also only had one number one album her whole career. Wild Heart should have been a #1 record given she went all disco/Madonna with Stand Back. Rock a Little and Other Side weren't smash albums either.
Plus her highest solo song charting of Number 3 was a song she didn't contribute writing for.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I believe it's in The Dance doc that Rob Cavallo talks about the spark for doing The Dance came from him... He talks about how Lindsey had done a solo record and wanted to get himself back out as a solo artist. And Rob states that he said to Lindsey "You've been out of the industry's eye for a number of years now. You know what would get your name back out there in the biggest possible way? A reunion, on soundstage, filmed." I'm sure in those conversations the decision was made to not just film but professionally record it in the hopes of releasing an album from it, hence, they did. The same conversation would have been had in Stevie's camp, with her management reaching the same conclusion... she was not at the forefront of the industry anymore, tours not selling so much, etc. The Dance was a business decision for all of them far more than an artistic decision at that time (with the understanding that by getting lots of attention that would get them the industry support to then afterwards go on to do other artistic things.)

The thing is that now Stevie sees herself totally differently. She said after the tour with the Pretenders that that tour "puts me in a different level as a solo performer". She wasn't second to Rod Stewart or whoever, SHE was the headliner and with the right opening act she realized she could now play the same big venues but WITHOUT Fleetwood Mac. Less hassle of compromising to other people's visions, no sharing of the profits, no compromising on tour schedules, being the BIG BOSS of everyone and everything... this boosted her confidence and she figures she fought long and hard for that and she is not giving that up for anyone or anything again... She always talked about never leaving FM because loyalty blah blah blah but really she didn't ever leave them because it was her safety net. She's come to realize at this point in her career, the tables have turned, and she does. not. need. them. SHE has become THEIR safety net now. She's got full control, not even Lindsey can touch her now, and she ain't giving up for nobody.

During The Dance, she needed THEM. Her career was stalled out. LB's solo career was stalled out. FM's career was stalled out. They all had motivat$on to get back together. This band has always been and will always be motivated by the moolah.... and for Stevie, the fame. She literally has given over her whole life to creating the legend of "Stevie Nicks" and she's finally gotten the payout for that she wanted. It's her validation that it was all worth it. She feels like she's swallowed enough sh^t and she's not swallowing any more.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wild Heart should have been a #1 record given she went all disco/Madonna with Stand Back..
There were a few problems on the Billboard 200 in the summer of 1983. Def Lepperd's break through smash,the Flashdance soundtrack, The Police's all time best seller and a little album called Thriller,

Old 08-28-2022, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
There were a few problems on the Billboard 200 in the summer of 1983. Def Lepperd's break through smash,the Flashdance soundtrack, The Police's all time best seller and a little album called Thriller,
You're saying TWH isn't as good as that other music?!
Stevie as much as she and the chiffonheads proclaim she is, is not a Billboard chart giant or dooropener for women like Tina, Janet, Aretha, Bonnie Raitt, Joni Mitchell, Madonna, and Blondie are.
Old 08-28-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
You're saying TWH isn't as good as that other music?!
Stevie as much as she and the chiffonheads proclaim she is, is not a Billboard chart giant or dooropener for women like Tina, Janet, Aretha, Bonnie Raitt, Joni Mitchell, Madonna, and Blondie are.
Amen....
Old 08-28-2022, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Right now, he is touring an album that's one year old.
It’s over five years old, it only came out last year. That album was finished before LBCM came out.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-28-2022, 08:25 PM
GoldDustWoman22
This message has been deleted by GoldDustWoman22.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I believe it's in The Dance doc that Rob Cavallo talks about the spark for doing The Dance came from him... He talks about how Lindsey had done a solo record and wanted to get himself back out as a solo artist. And Rob states that he said to Lindsey "You've been out of the industry's eye for a number of years now. You know what would get your name back out there in the biggest possible way? A reunion, on soundstage, filmed." I'm sure in those conversations the decision was made to not just film but professionally record it in the hopes of releasing an album from it, hence, they did. The same conversation would have been had in Stevie's camp, with her management reaching the same conclusion... she was not at the forefront of the industry anymore, tours not selling so much, etc. The Dance was a business decision for all of them far more than an artistic decision at that time (with the understanding that by getting lots of attention that would get them the industry support to then afterwards go on to do other artistic things.)

The thing is that now Stevie sees herself totally differently. She said after the tour with the Pretenders that that tour "puts me in a different level as a solo performer". She wasn't second to Rod Stewart or whoever, SHE was the headliner and with the right opening act she realized she could now play the same big venues but WITHOUT Fleetwood Mac. Less hassle of compromising to other people's visions, no sharing of the profits, no compromising on tour schedules, being the BIG BOSS of everyone and everything... this boosted her confidence and she figures she fought long and hard for that and she is not giving that up for anyone or anything again... She always talked about never leaving FM because loyalty blah blah blah but really she didn't ever leave them because it was her safety net. She's come to realize at this point in her career, the tables have turned, and she does. not. need. them. SHE has become THEIR safety net now. She's got full control, not even Lindsey can touch her now, and she ain't giving up for nobody.

During The Dance, she needed THEM. Her career was stalled out. LB's solo career was stalled out. FM's career was stalled out. They all had motivat$on to get back together. This band has always been and will always be motivated by the moolah.... and for Stevie, the fame. She literally has given over her whole life to creating the legend of "Stevie Nicks" and she's finally gotten the payout for that she wanted. It's her validation that it was all worth it. She feels like she's swallowed enough sh^t and she's not swallowing any more.
This is the best assessment of her(and their) career(s) that I've ever read. Spot on. She holds all the cards now...
RIP, FM.