The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Who is your Favorite Female International Singer?
Roision Murphy 4 18.18%
Sophie Ellis-Bextor 2 9.09%
Estelle 1 4.55%
Kelis 1 4.55%
Anastacia 2 9.09%
Kylie Minogue 8 36.36%
Jamelia 0 0%
Shakira 6 27.27%
Duffy 6 27.27%
Adele 7 31.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Favorite Female International Singer

Hey All!

I thought it would be fun to do a poll of your favorite female singers that have had greater success outside of the US.

YOU CAN VOTE FOR MORE THAN ONE

Roisin Murphy (Murphy first came to note as part of the electronic music duo Moloko. Murphy released her debut solo album Ruby Blue, written and produced with Matthew Herbert, in 2005. Her second solo album Overpowered was released in 2007. On 10 January 2008, Overpowered received a nomination for the Choice Music Prize in Ireland; the award is given each year to an Irish artist who has proved to produce a critically acclaimed album.)

Sophie Ellis-Bextor (Sophie Michelle Ellis-Bextor (born 10 April 1979) is an English singer, songwriter and model. She first came to prominence in the late 1990s, as the lead singer of the indie rock band theaudience. After the group disbanded, Ellis-Bextor went solo, achieving widespread success in the early 2000s. Her music is a mixture of mainstream pop, disco, nu-disco, and 1980s electronic influences.)

Estelle (Estelle Fanta Swaray (born 18 January 1980) commonly known as Estelle, and formerly as Est'elle, is an British R&B singer-songwriter, rapper and record producer. In 2009, she won a Grammy Award for American Boy featuring Kanye West in the category for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration as well receiving the MOBO for 'Best Newcomer'[3] and received three consecutive 'Best Female Artist' trophies from the UK Hip-Hop Awards.)

Kelis (Kelis Rogers (previously Jones, born August 21, 1980), [1] better known as Kelis, is an American R&B singer-songwriter. She is a BRIT Award winner and has been nominated for two Grammy Awards.)

Anastacia (Anastacia (born Anastacia Lyn Newkirk; September 17, 1968[1]) is an American singer-songwriter. Anastacia has been highly successful in Europe, Asia, Oceania, South Africa, and South America, but has not had as much success in her native United States.)

Kylie Minogue (Kylie Ann Minogue, born 28 May 1968) is an Australian pop singer, songwriter, and actress. After beginning her career as a child actress on Australian television, she achieved recognition through her role in the television soap opera Neighbours, before commencing her career as a recording artist in 1987.)

Jamelia (Jamelia Niela Davis (born on 11 January 1981), best known mononymously as Jamelia, is a British singer-songwriter and model, most famous for her use of a capella and prolific work in the R&B genre.)

Shakira (Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll (born February 2, 1977),[2] known professionally as Shakira, is a Colombian[4] singer-songwriter, musician, record producer, dancer, and philanthropist who emerged as a musical prodigy in the music scene of Latin America in the early 1990s)

Duffy (Aimée Ann Duffy (born 23 June 1984), better known by her stage name Duffy, is a Welsh singer-songwriter. Her 2008 debut album Rockferry entered the UK Album Chart at number one. It was the best selling album in the United Kingdom in 2008[4] with 1.68 million copies sold.)

Adele (Adele Laurie Blue Adkins (born 5 May 1988 in Tottenham, North London), known professionally as Adele, is an English singer songwriter.
Since her debut, 19, Adele has received much recognition--both commercially and critically. The album debuted at number one, and has been certified platinum in the UK. It has sold 2.2 million worldwide.)

Last edited by Travis; 05-24-2010 at 09:42 AM..
Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Kylie. No question. I didn't even vote for anyone else

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Can I vote "None of the Above"?

Haven't even heard of some of those people. Also, we have members here from all over the world, so some of those singers you named aren't international for everybody here.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky View Post
Can I vote "None of the Above"?

Haven't even heard of some of those people. Also, we have members here from all over the world, so some of those singers you named aren't international for everybody here.
Yes Vicky, I know there are members on the board from all over the world. As I mentioned in the post, these ladies have had greater success outside of the US. Can't ya just play along? :-P
Old 05-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No Sarah Cracknell!?!?

or even Amy Winehouse?

or, on the lesser known tip, An Pierle?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
No Sarah Cracknell!?!?
or even Amy Winehouse?
or, on the lesser known tip, An Pierle?
Well, the polls only allow for ten slots - feel free to give your love to SC and AW here :-)
Old 05-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Amy Winehouse's voice and her hair when it's not tied up but shiny and wavy, like the cover of Back to Black. It's a shame she's drugged to the eyeballs

Old 05-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Registered

Duffy got my vote, she's the only one I own music by, and I like the cd a lot. I can tell from fan boards and European p.r. that Kylie is a huge, huge deal in the UK, a big star with really devoted fans. Here in The States, I think she's best known for one song, but from what I have read for years, In Europe 'Kylie' is thought of like 'Madonna' or 'Cher'.

She is a very pretty woman, is that part of her appeal, or is her music also consistent and excellent?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Duffy got my vote, she's the only one I own music by, and I like the cd a lot. I can tell from fan boards and European p.r. that Kylie is a huge, huge deal in the UK, a big star with really devoted fans. Here in The States, I think she's best known for one song, but from what I have read for years, In Europe 'Kylie' is thought of like 'Madonna' or 'Cher'.

She is a very pretty woman, is that part of her appeal, or is her music also consistent and excellent?
Yeah, she's pretty awesome. I'd say her music was excellent. I really love listening to her when I'm in a good mood. Madonna's a big deal over here too, for reasons unbeknown to me

Old 05-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
I love Amy Winehouse's voice and her hair when it's not tied up but shiny and wavy, like the cover of Back to Black. It's a shame she's drugged to the eyeballs
I agree, I absolutely love her music. Me and Mr. Jones is great.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I voted for Anastacia and Kylie. if I had a gun to my head I'd choose Anastacia though.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yay - Kylie's winning! Anyone who says she can;t sing (an old and tired criticism) must go and listen to Dangerous Game from Kylie Minogue (1994) immediately!
Old 05-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Kylie is my number one choice, followed by Duffy and Shakira. I do like Amy Winehouse... but I'm afraid she'll end up dead.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Kylie
Shakira
Duffy
Adele

Amy Winehouse would have been my #1 if she was a choice. Cheryl Cole is no where in sight. Good.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:45 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Yay - Kylie's winning! Anyone who says she can;t sing (an old and tired criticism) must go and listen to Dangerous Game from Kylie Minogue (1994) immediately!
Ah, her "I'm a serious artist" album- which also happened to happily coincide with those SAW douchebags going out of favor. Derrrp!

Fact remains she hasn't had a single chart hit that hasn't leaned (or completely relied) on producers/writers/her own celebrity. She's cute, she dresses well/is campy enough for her audience= CAREER