Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
This makes good flash fiction.
{{{{{Tony}}}}}

In other news, I revisited some of the Penguin Q&As this afternoon and found the reading bittersweet. Not only are about eight of the guests deceased, but many of the ledgies responsible for the questions are, too.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-01-2022, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
But the thing is that you don’t have to put on a Fleetwood Mac album to know “Black Magic Woman.” Unless you’ve been living under a rock for fifty years, you would know it’s a Peter Green song made famous in the US by Santana. I mean, everybody and their grandma knows this song. Does Stevie not know “All Along the Watchtower,” “Paint It Black,” or “Layla,” either? Who makes a living in rock and doesn’t know “Black Magic Woman”? Very, very odd.
I read an interview years ago with Diana Ross, shortly after Matthew Shepherd was killed in a gay hate crime. That was all over the news. In the interview, the reporter asked Diana Ross about Matthew Shepherd, and she had no clue what he was talking about. He even explained it to her in detail, perhaps thinking she just didn’t recognize the name, but would know the general story. Nothing. She had not a clue. She said it was a horrible thing, but up until then she had never heard of it. That interview taught me that celebrity millionaires truly are in a different world from us. I try to imagine a world where someone doesn’t watch CNN or read the news or know about basic current events. I suppose Diana Ross may not be typical, but sadly I suspect she is.

So after that, no, it’s not hard for me to believe that Stevie either didn’t know or forgot that Fleetwood Mac recorded Black Magic Woman.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
{{{{{Tony}}}}}

In other news, I revisited some of the Penguin Q&As this afternoon and found the reading bittersweet. Not only are about eight of the guests deceased, but many of the ledgies responsible for the questions are, too.
Yeah, I know. It’s so sad on both accounts. But you’re sill here—and I love that.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I read an interview years ago with Diana Ross, shortly after Matthew Shepherd was killed in a gay hate crime. That was all over the news. In the interview, the reporter asked Diana Ross about Matthew Shepherd, and she had no clue what he was talking about. He even explained it to her in detail, perhaps thinking she just didn’t recognize the name, but would know the general story. Nothing. She had not a clue. She said it was a horrible thing, but up until then she had never heard of it. That interview taught me that celebrity millionaires truly are in a different world from us. I try to imagine a world where someone doesn’t watch CNN or read the news or know about basic current events. I suppose Diana Ross may not be typical, but sadly I suspect she is.

So after that, no, it’s not hard for me to believe that Stevie either didn’t know or forgot that Fleetwood Mac recorded Black Magic Woman.
Diana is probably worse than Stevie. I knew someone in the eighties that was a limo driver in Vegas and was driving Diana when she asked that they stop at a restaurant for a "piece of toast" and then said " yes I eat like regular people".

Old 06-01-2022, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Diana is probably worse than Stevie. I knew someone in the eighties that was a limo driver in Vegas and was driving Diana when she asked that they stop at a restaurant for a "piece of toast" and then said " yes I eat like regular people".
Diana has been around a lot longer than Stevie too. Wonder if she got butter or jelly on the toast
Old 06-01-2022, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I knew someone in the eighties that was a limo driver in Vegas and was driving Diana when she asked that they stop at a restaurant for a "piece of toast"
"Stop!... In the name of toast."

"Yes, ma'am."
Old 06-01-2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
{{{{{Tony}}}}}

The ledge wouldn't be the same without you. In fact, I miss you when you take small hiatuses. (Is that a word?).
Old 06-09-2022, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's still shocking to me that a band that fully knows how to take advantage of a cash grab has let this anniversary come and go. There's easily a DVD + CD package that Warner could release. Expand the soundtrack CD with all of the tracks that were cut.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
It's still shocking to me that a band that fully knows how to take advantage of a cash grab has let this anniversary come and go. There's easily a DVD + CD package that Warner could release. Expand the soundtrack CD with all of the tracks that were cut.
Wouldn't that be Rhino (WB)? And yes, agreed.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The band likes a cash grab, but I don't think they have ever really known how to take advantage of one. Whenever they've had a chance to maximize money making potential they've always fumbled the ball. It's amazing they're as successful as they are, since there are so many missed opportunities in their history. Now, they're just slouching their way out of Bethlehem.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The band likes a cash grab, but I don't think they have ever really known how to take advantage of one. Whenever they've had a chance to maximize money making potential they've always fumbled the ball. It's amazing they're as successful as they are, since there are so many missed opportunities in their history. Now, they're just slouching their way out of Bethlehem.
Anyone who can manage to bring Yeats into this is a pro. Thanks, michelej1!
Old 06-20-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Anyone who can manage to bring Yeats into this is a pro. Thanks, michelej1!
Stevie does slouch and she did look like a lion in the 80's,
Old 06-21-2022, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That's a really great point. I'm not sure we would ever have had the deluxe Tusk/Mirage/Tango sets had the record companies not been involved, it's not like they could of collectively agreed to do anything on their own!

Speaking of missed opportunities: I'll always be bummed that they never tried to do a limited theatre run with a really scaled-back, almost unplugged set. Ever since that acoustic version of Gypsy in 2000, I've wanted to hear more. Lindsey already had a jump start with all of the guitar instrumentals he recorded that were played as house music before shows. It's not like they didn't have enough material to make it work.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's a really great point. I'm not sure we would ever have had the deluxe Tusk/Mirage/Tango sets had the record companies not been involved, it's not like they could of collectively agreed to do anything on their own!

Speaking of missed opportunities: I'll always be bummed that they never tried to do a limited theatre run with a really scaled-back, almost unplugged set. Ever since that acoustic version of Gypsy in 2000, I've wanted to hear more. Lindsey already had a jump start with all of the guitar instrumentals he recorded that were played as house music before shows. It's not like they didn't have enough material to make it work.

This last point has been one of my fantasy ideas for them since about 2001. I imagine the Dance lineup in a small theatre, with something like this set list:-

Say You Love Me
Gypsy
Never Going Back Again
Over My Head
Crystal
Big Love
Storms
Blue Letter
I Don’t Want to Know
Caroline
Save Me A Place
Landslide
Oh Daddy
Sara
World Turning
Go Your Own Way
Songbird

Old 06-21-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
This last point has been one of my fantasy ideas for them since about 2001. I imagine the Dance lineup in a small theatre, with something like this set list:-

Say You Love Me
Gypsy
Never Going Back Again
Over My Head
Crystal
Big Love
Storms
Blue Letter
I Don’t Want to Know
Caroline
Save Me A Place
Landslide